New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know deep down I just need to ask the guy but.....
My local club has a pistol league and this is my first year. Another guys first year too but also does it with his son, id say 14 15 tops. HOW. Legally how can this person shoot in the league. By all means good for him and i'd love for my son to participate but. Its my understanding unless with a certified nra instructor they cannot shoot per NY. Now maybe the club does not care but I think they would as their butt on the line. Am I missing something?

Father Not an nra instructor nor do I believe are our range officers..... do they just not worry about it or is this club sticking its neck out if say someone ratted them out........

Maybe I am missing something but Im not against the kid shooting, heck kudos to him but my quandery is Id like mine to shoot too but I dont think he can per NYS........(mine is 15).

Just sorta wondering. I have to ask him but dont want to seem like im against it or even bring attention to it and get anyone in any trouble. Im just wondering how he can do it or if no one is really caring about NYS law, but again, I think the club would as its their butt.........

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
here are the laws that apply.
This is found in the exemptions for article 265

7. Possession, at an indoor or outdoor shooting range for the purpose of loading and firing, of a rifle or shotgun, the propelling force of which is gunpowder by a person under sixteen years of age but not under twelve, under the immediate supervision, guidance and instruction of (a) a duly commissioned officer of the United States army, navy, air force, marine corps or coast guard, or of the national guard of the state of New York; or (b) a duly qualified adult citizen of the United States who has been granted a certificate as an instructor in small arms practice issued by the United States army, navy, air force or marine corps, or by the adjutant general of this state, or by the national rifle association of America, a not-for-profit corporation duly organized under the laws of this state; or (c) a parent, guardian, or a person over the age of eighteen designated in writing by such parent or guardian who shall have a certificate of qualification in responsible hunting, including safety, ethics, and landowner relations-hunter relations, issued or honored by the department of environmental conservation; or (d) an agent of the department of environmental conservation appointed to conduct courses in responsible hunting practices pursuant to article eleven of the environmental conservation law.

7-e. Possession and use of a pistol or revolver, at an indoor or outdoor pistol range located in or on premises owned or occupied by a duly incorporated organization organized for conservation purposes or to foster proficiency in small arms or at a target pistol shooting competition under the auspices of or approved by an association or organization described in paragraph 7-a of this subdivision for the purpose of loading and firing the same by a person at least fourteen years of age but under the age of twenty-one who has not been previously convicted of a felony or serious offense, and who does not appear to be, or pose a threat to be, a danger to himself or to others; provided however, that such possession shall be of a pistol or revolver duly licensed to and shall be used under the immediate supervision, guidance and instruction of, a person specified in paragraph seven of this subdivision.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmmm very interesting read. I knew about the shotguns or rifles but didnt know that also included pistoles........So protected by 7-e under the clubs charter so to speak. Hmmm nice. now maybe I can get my son involved to help him further his profeciency with a fire arm. Nice. Thank you sir.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Looks like if you have your hunting safety course as well then you are allowed to supervise as well.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
ANY adult can supervise a youth between 14-under 21 as long as they have completed any of the listed safety training courses listed in the statute.

Note that it must be at a range, not out in the woods for it to be legal.

Most clubs require at least an RSO rating (Range Safety Officer) or Instructor rating to add to the validity of the adult doing the supervising.

I can name one success story of a youth that started his shooting career right after his 14th birthday. 7 years later, he is now a Navy SEAL. When asked about his shooting background, he listed all that contributed to his growth.

Get your kids started now. Find a competent and experienced instructor to get them going in the right direction.

·
Super Moderator
3,234 Posts
Just like Dave says, start 'em up young. We have a few teens shooting steel plates with us in the winter months and they not only shoot well and safely but have a blast to boot. How come they didn't have this when I was 14? :(

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He did his hunter safetly but even squirrel hunting he used to get real antsy when younger. Has not realized the serenety if sitting in the woods yet so this will be perfect. All he knows is he wants to shoot! and the Range safetly officers at our pistol league will also really help him as they are very freindly. Thank you all.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
ANY adult can supervise a youth between 14-under 21 as long as they have completed any of the listed safety training courses listed in the statute.

Note that it must be at a range, not out in the woods for it to be legal.

Most clubs require at least an RSO rating (Range Safety Officer) or Instructor rating to add to the validity of the adult doing the supervising.
Daves got it...my club was ok as long as a NRA certified instructor was on sight. That was the only way they'd let him shoot. This club was not conderned with what course him or I took. Only that their NRA cert instructor was on sight. Their rules so......That tells me they would not like it if I was to supervise on non league nights. Atleast I know the rules.

Hmmm Wonder what it becomes to be NRA certifed Instructor? will have to look into it..probably alot...but hes only 15 so many years he could get under his belt before 21 if I was able to supervise him at the range. He loves to shoot and was surprised to see how many hits you ACTUALLY get as compared to your playstation...LOL...
I said yea buddy this is a bit hard than the game...............he had fun and now cant wait for league night. IF the instructor is there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts