New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got mine last weekend. Drill went in the top of my thumb and came out of the bottom. The wife yelled at me for bleeding all over the place.

Beat that!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
that looks/sounds awful, hope it doesn't get infected. i've been fortunate in that my ego's been the only thing injured during my projects. if i ever find the sadist who designed the ruger mark III i'm going to make the spanish inquisition look like a game of checkers.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know what you mean. I own a MKII. I just stopped cleaning it.

No infection. In fact, it's healing quite nicely. I can't shuffle cards yet, but I'm getting there.

I'm more worried about the fact that I'm about three years past due for a tetanus shot.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Confucius says: Thumbs are better for adjusting clamps or vice grips than holding parts for drilling, asho.:rofl:

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
i had to write my own instructions on how to reassemble my mark III. it'd probably get put on the chopping block if it wasn't my first handgun. i wasn't sure if it was in poor taste to Like the response about the fate of mr. ruger, haha. and since when is name calling allowed on the forum (i'm fruent in engrish, bill). mod abuse!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Not to rub it in (well, mabe a little because such warnings should be given at every oppertunity) poking your thumb could be the least of your worries if you continue to work with spinning type tools and keep your ring(s) on.

A hole heals decently 90% of the time, a torn off finger doesn't have anywhere near such odds.
Hurts like a SOB I'm told, and more importantly, generally wrecks the ring too.

May seem trival but locking workpieces down really is an absolute must if you want to remain relatively intact until the day you expire.
Its exceptionally goofy if using a hand drill and hand holding the part being drilled.

Oh, yeah, and don't pull off the spiral type cuttings or sweep chips with your bare hands.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
i once wore flip flops into the machine shop area and well...one of those big chunky spiral metal bits stuck through the one flip flop right into the bottom of my foot. Took a pair of pliers to get the piece out of my flops...

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not to rub it in (well, mabe a little because such warnings should be given at every oppertunity) poking your thumb could be the least of your worries if you continue to work with spinning type tools and keep your ring(s) on.

A hole heals decently 90% of the time, a torn off finger doesn't have anywhere near such odds.
Hurts like a SOB I'm told, and more importantly, generally wrecks the ring too.

May seem trival but locking workpieces down really is an absolute must if you want to remain relatively intact until the day you expire.
Its exceptionally goofy if using a hand drill and hand holding the part being drilled.

Oh, yeah, and don't pull off the spiral type cuttings or sweep chips with your bare hands.
Good advice.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Ouch.
I can't think of any significant injuries I've received that were related to gunsmithing specifically, which is actually a bit surprising even to me because I admittedly do ridiculous things (like bad dremel practices for instance) all the time. I've possibly torn open a fingernail or two on gun stuff. Don't get me wrong though, I injure myself in some stupid way probably a few times a week.

What were you drilling anyway ?

·
Registered
148 Posts
It broke in half and shifted to where I was holding the part that I was drilling into.
Did you also get those delightful little spirally scratch marks across the surface of the work piece? Or did you get "lucky" and have it head straight for your hand?
I've had the spiral-scratch happen a few times over the years while drilling one thing or the other. A horrendous piss-off.

·
Registered
687 Posts
It doesn't truely fit here but could be stretched and applied I guess. My father always told me "Never cut towards yourself, Cut towards your friends....you can always get new friends"

That said....coul dyou PM me the exact words uttered after that happened. I bet it matched mine when I did the same thing with a phillips bit in a drill. I have the nice X to mark the spot

1 - 20 of 26 Posts