New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm going to take my dillon 550 and smash my lee pro 1000 to pieces with it.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I just Googled "dillon 550" and "lee pro 1000". Now I know what to avoid someday, cool.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Let me guess, primer problems, powder spills, indexing?
All progressives need tuning and some of those people use with sucess but I will never take that chance.
I have a single stage one to take to the field to work on reloads and some dies I have work great.
Even the powder measure is not too bad but when it comes to serious stuff you need better brands.
If that is pistol even a piggyback would do over the RCBS press.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I think he's saying that he just bought a Dillon and realizes how crappy the Lee Pro was...

I'll take the Lee pro off your hands cheap instead of smashing it

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Buy Once, Cry Once....Bought a Dillon 650 2 years ago and could not be happier!!

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
Only problem I have with my Lee P1000 is when I let the primer level get too low. Dillion's are nice, no doubt, but they aren't nice enough to justify the cost.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Dillion's are nice, no doubt, but they aren't nice enough to justify the cost.
I think they are!!! I have several friends with various platforms and I will take the Dillon for more $$$ every time! Once the Dillon is adjusted properly it just cranks out the rounds....Many of my friends have to tinker around way to often for me.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think he's saying that he just bought a Dillon and realizes how crappy the Lee Pro was...

I'll take the Lee pro off your hands cheap instead of smashing it
I actually had the dillon. I picked up the lee to reload away from home. I think I have been able to make 50 rounds since Christmas. First the primers weren't feeding good. Got that working. Now last night I went to make some ammo, after about 10 rounds the charge started to get progressively less. I don't have a lot of spare time, so when I do have time to reload I don't want to spend it tinkering with the damn machine. Even though my dillon was 4-5 times the price I think its worth it. With the dillon when its time to reload I step up pull the handle and presto , I have ammo. No fuss no muss.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
If the pro 1000 is set up for 9mm i might be interested in it ;)

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
I think they are!!! I have several friends with various platforms and I will take the Dillon for more $$$ every time! Once the Dillon is adjusted properly it just cranks out the rounds....Many of my friends have to tinker around way to often for me.
To each his own, that's why we have choices. 5 minutes of resetting/tightening/cleaning every 5000 or so rounds is hardly worth $500 to me, to other people, not so.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Only problem I have with my Lee P1000 is when I let the primer level get too low. Dillion's are nice, no doubt, but they aren't nice enough to justify the cost.
I agree with you if you do not reload much you can get by a more affordable one. Some people that are mechanically oriented have anything running like clock works.
For high volume you cannot beat the dillon 850. I use 3 presses hornday progressive too for rifle and it pays off if you have enough volume.
The x1 fired prep in rifle is more work than reloading.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
I agree with you if you do not reload much you can get by a more affordable one. Some people that are mechanically oriented have anything running like clock works.
For high volume you cannot beat the dillon 850. I use 3 presses hornday progressive too for rifle and it pays off if you have enough volume.
The x1 fired prep in rifle is more work than reloading.
I suppose what you mean by high volume. For rifle, having the ability to swage primer pockets is a definite advantage. A guy I shoot with bought a 1050 because he got a great price on it, how ever, just to change caliber cost more than a 550

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
To each his own, that's why we have choices. 5 minutes of resetting/tightening/cleaning every 5000 or so rounds is hardly worth $500 to me, to other people, not so.
Yup, they will all get the job done! Ford Vs Chevy on the ride!

G

·
I hate to change calibers, so the Dillon on the right makes .45ACP and the one on the left makes 9mm.

I've been running Dillon presses since the mid 1980's. They just work.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I use my Rochchucker for precision .223 and big bore pistol. I use my Dillon 550 for everything else. The Dillon has put out 1000's of .223, .45, .40 9mm and .380. Since I have complete caliber change heads for each caliber it takes me all of 5 minutes to setup and start on a different caliber. I have never had a problem that could not be resolved in less than a minute.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts