New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Such a bummer, senior citizen has a Colt 357 Magnum in nickle beautiful condition he bought in 1960 in NJ now its in NY he wants it gone but not sure if he ever registered it in NJ but positive he never registered it in NY will not talk to PD, he does have the original hand written receipt with the original owners name from NJ.

any ideas ? I could buy this Colt but NY and NJ permit dept are not very helpful they just say call us and we will pick it up.

· Registered
9,139 Posts
No FFL is going to touch it. It needs to be turned into PD to become legal.
They will run the numbers and give it back.
The only truely legal way to do it is have the owner call PD.
The less than legal way is for you to buy it then call PD.

I had unregistered guns that I had added to my permit. They came from family though.

· Registered
270 Posts
Call the pistol clerk and ask them what the procedure is. This happens all the time. Most times they're just happy the gun is getting registered. Tell them an elderly friend of a friend of a friend is getting his estate in order and wants to properly dispose of the firearm from his estate. You're willing to add it to your permit. Chances are they'll amend your permit and you're good to go. This happened in Rockland with a friend of a friend of a friend of mine.

· Registered
1,051 Posts
Before turnng it in to local PD you MUST call them and set up an appointment for turn in. The reason being is should you get stopped by LE on the way to PD they could verify that you were transporting an unregistered, therefore illegal handgun in your posession for turn in. An FFL holder cannot legally posess that handgun as there is no paper trail.

· Registered
9,139 Posts
Before turnng it in to local PD you MUST call them and set up an appointment for turn in. The reason being is should you get stopped by LE on the way to PD they could verify that you were transporting an unregistered, therefore illegal handgun in your posession for turn in. An FFL holder cannot legally posess that handgun as there is no paper trail.
When I did it they sent a car to pick it up. They didn't want me transporting it.

Talk to the county clerk, they will give you the proper procedure where you are located.

· Registered
3,933 Posts
A friend went through this. He dropped it off at the police and in a week they said he could come pick it up and have it added to his permit.

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well as suggested I called three other shops and one shop says not a problem bring it in and we can straighten it out , I have my doubts but I called the owner of the Colt and I am buying it on Saturday and making arrangement's to turn it in to the shop I called, shop owner says worst case scenario the gun will be confiscated but most likely it can be added to my permit. The other shops I called said no way to register unless it came into their shop through anther FFL, and of course there is the county permit bureau that does not have a way to help unless the current owner contacts them or brings in the Colt in...

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
good luck, I hate it when I hear about guns being destroyed, it doesn't make any sense
Makes no sense to me either but hopefully I will get it back, I ve been down this road before with unregistered guns and they were made legal but the difference was that I knew the history of the previous guns but this Colt is unknown history so its a risk I may loose my money...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.