New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weekends ago I took my son shooting... came back in and she asked me to take her.

Amazing how fast things turned around.

Her first time firing a handgun (my SIG P239)...
wendy_range_1.jpg

And here's how well she did (B-29 target @ 50').
wendy_range_2.jpg

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Not bad, that guy is as dead as he'll ever be with any of those shots, only 3 off target, good shooting for a first timer. better then me with a pistol.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Is this the wife who said it was either her or the gun?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
...and now she wants her own? ;)

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I've seen women go from "not liking" to "liking" guns, but I'm surprised she did a complete 180 on the topic.

·
Head of Bacon Operations
3,589 Posts
Nice! How did this happen?

·
Registered
164 Posts
my wife was always dead set against guns in the house, till i took her shooting, first time she ever shot a S&W .357 mag and that was it she was a gun nut like me ever since !!!

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm glad things worked out for you both. It's great when you can share you hobbies with your spouse. Mine won't shoot yet, but she's ok with me having them in the house knowing they're locked up tight from the kids.

I'll point out though, that you might not want to post pics of her to the internet using a handgun. Unless your county has the fastest permit processing in NYS, it's not legal for her to shoot your pistol. Even though it's safe and reasonable for her to do so under your direction.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I'm glad things worked out for you both. It's great when you can share you hobbies with your spouse. Mine won't shoot yet, but she's ok with me having them in the house knowing they're locked up tight from the kids.

I'll point out though, that you might not want to post pics of her to the internet using a handgun. Unless your county has the fastest permit processing in NYS, it's not legal for her to shoot your pistol. Even though it's safe and reasonable for her to do so under your direction.
Or they went to Mass. or another state where it is totally legal for a non felon to use a handgun. I had much fun at the Smith and Wesson range before they closed and before I got my license.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
She saw me and my son come back from the range one day and said she wanted to go.

How is one to know that a picture of a faceless woman doesn't already have her permit? Or if said picture was lifted off the internet? On the other hand, how many permitless people have gone to the range with a friend or family member and popped off a few rounds? Besides, I believe NY Penal Law section 265.20 sub 7 exempts handgun possession at a range so long as the shooter is under the supervision of someone licensed under NY Penal Law section 400.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
One could assume it was your wife, since that is what the thread is about. I'm sure that an image search could be done to find out if the image was pulled from the net somewhere. 265.20 (7) probably does not apply to your wife.

Part a requires a permit
Part b requires you to turn in your application and get the judge's approval
Part c is for 12-16 year olds
Part d applies to air rifles and children under 12
Part e applies to 14-21 year olds.

It was just a friendly bit of advice from the poster above. Having said that.... It is awesome your wife likes shooting. My wife was not anti-gun, but she was definitely not giddy about them being in the house. She accepted the shotgun because she knows it provides food for the family via hunting. She wasn't keen on the first handgun. Once she realized that they aren't going to get up and start firing themselves, she got more into it. She loves the .22 rifle that I brought back from my parents house last summer and is a pretty decent shot. I've gone from one shotgun to multiple firearms. I'm gearing up to buy a Super Redhawk .44 mag too :D

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Nice...I'm sure the range was in PA. It's the way to go - whenever I let the wife or a buddy of mine shoot my pistols, always a good time heading over to PA to do just that.

;)

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
Nice...I'm sure the range was in PA. It's the way to go - whenever I let the wife or a buddy of mine shoot my pistols, always a good time heading over to PA to do just that.

;)
Yeah, my family loves it down there too

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like a pellet gun based on a SIG to me.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Looks like a pellet gun based on a SIG to me.
Her first time firing a handgun (my SIG P239)...
On the other hand, how many permitless people have gone to the range with a friend or family member and popped off a few rounds?
Regardless of what other people do the law is the law here in PRNY - We are just trying to make sure you understand and don't get yourself into trouble. And we are thrilled your wife is loving it now.

Frankly I am quiet stunned the range allowed it. I am always asked what I am shooting before I enter a range, and if pistols are involved, I must show my permit.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts