New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been meaning to do this for awhile, finally it's done. and it works great!

I wanted to fix the excessive play and over travel on my xd40. So not willing to fork out the buckage for one of the many trigger kits out there I decided to make my own.
1) First I welded extra material on the outside of the slide stop and also the trigger bar.
2) Then I shaped the slide stop the way I wanted. This was easy because there's no fitting it 50 times like the trigger bar.
3) The trigger bar from the factory is about 1/8" to 3/16" longer where it hooks the striker safety lever than it needs to be (with proper fitting). So material needs to be added in front of that hook to shorten it up. A lot of trial and error to get the right length. But when it's finally where it needs to be a little polishing and your good.
4) Then I looked at some of the over travel stops that everyone had for sale on line. Most of them were polymer (all of them that I saw). Anyway it seemed really easy to make but there aren't any dimensions or good pictures to go by. I found a youtube video of an install of the polymer style stops. So from that I was able to get the jist of how to make one.
5) It took about 1.5 hours of fitting and going back and forth to the shop. A second one can be made way quicker but I was in no hurry to screw the first one up. I had a high quality piece of aluminum that I made it from. I don't know what grade it is but it doesn't cut like butter such as other aluminum I've cut. After the final adjustment the trigger stops just a hair after the striker falls. A little polishing again and my custom trigger job is done! All safeties work as they should.:D

Attachments

·
Registered
982 Posts
Your camera focuses on stuff behind your work. I have to ask. What is it focusing on in picture #2?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your camera focuses on stuff behind your work. I have to ask. What is it focusing on in picture #2?
Yeah I might have to start using an actual camera. I have a junk phone. That picture is showing the original trigger bar from the factory compared with the shortened one in the next picture.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice work!
Thanks, I didn't take a picture of the original slide stop but it's basically straight up and flat. I added material to make the new one but not to much that it would catch on clothing or accidentally be engaged. It's a lot smoother than the factory one also which helps because it sticks out further.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
River stone base and another stone glued into knot hole. Hope that clears up any questions about my less than desirable light source.:eek:

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts