New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh man did I suffer from a terrible back ache last weekend. You know the kind with spasms that take your breath away and make you grunt. Never the less I watched my granddaughters dance at the state fair on Saturday and went to my youngest sons 33rd B-day party on Sunday. Well I got out of bed this AM after not sleeping all night because of the pain and not really sleeping the night before and said to myself. Self, you have got time on the books take a day off and go see the chiropractor, AKA the back cracker. I was on the phone at 8:00 AM calling around to try to make an appointment which I luckily did.

The visit to the back cracker went well with almost instant relief felt from the manipulation. I mean it there was like a lifting of pain and tension from the doc's work. Full disclosure this post is not about the good the bad or the ugly of chiropractors. They work for me. I made a time for my next visit and went out the door feeling like I been down so God dam long that it looked like up to me! Really I felt like I was on my way to feeling better.

I had the rest of the day off so I thought I would go home take a shower and hangout in the house and rest a bit. Well I got all cleaned up and was toweling off when I noticed a rash on my chest that circled around the right side of my torso from my breastbone over my boob under my armpit and ending on my backbone. The exact same areas that were hurting and spasming before.

So off to E. Syr. urgent care, I've learned to go there for minor types of ailments as I have never had to wait as long as if I were to go to the ER at Crouse or Upstate. After giving info to the nurse I was seen by a PA. I said to her as she asked about the rash "don't tell me it is shingles" . Ok she said but you still have the shingles. WTF?

I am now taking antiviral medication about the size and color of robins egg hoping I started the treatment early enough to stem the worst parts of the affliction. What I have read is the the rash will heal in about 2-3 weeks and possible discomfort after that. Do any of you have heart warming tales of your shingle experience that could share to relief the itching and pain I feel building on my chest?

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I know of someone who had shingles and the pain lasted almost 6 months.

I had the shingles, and it actually felt cool. It felt like my scalp was constantly tingling. I actually drove around with the windows down so I could feel the wind through my hair. Free scalp massage!

Your experience may vary. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Ohhhh, I had shingles about 8 years ago! It started on my right wrist, it was weird because about 2-3 days before it was visible on the outside, I felt like I had an itchy/tingling feeling under the skin. Shortly after that it popped out, and I ended up with the rash going up my right arm, I wasn't sure what it was, but then it hit my ear, and the pain was like someone was sticking an ice pick in my ear! That was the most intense pain I can remember for a long, long time! I ended up on medication, and a topical dressing for the rash!

Needless to say, I feel your pain, and hope you get by it soon!!

FUAC!!!.... and Shingles too!!!

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Oh man did I suffer from a terrible back ache last weekend. You know the kind with spasms that take your breath away and make you grunt. Never the less I watched my granddaughters dance at the state fair on Saturday and went to my youngest sons 33rd B-day party on Sunday. Well I got out of bed this AM after not sleeping all night because of the pain and not really sleeping the night before and said to myself. Self, you have got time on the books take a day off and go see the chiropractor, AKA the back cracker. I was on the phone at 8:00 AM calling around to try to make an appointment which I luckily did.

The visit to the back cracker went well with almost instant relief felt from the manipulation. I mean it there was like a lifting of pain and tension from the doc's work. Full disclosure this post is not about the good the bad or the ugly of chiropractors. They work for me. I made a time for my next visit and went out the door feeling like I been down so God dam long that it looked like up to me! Really I felt like I was on my way to feeling better.

I had the rest of the day off so I thought I would go home take a shower and hangout in the house and rest a bit. Well I got all cleaned up and was toweling off when I noticed a rash on my chest that circled around the right side of my torso from my breastbone over my boob under my armpit and ending on my backbone. The exact same areas that were hurting and spasming before.

So off to E. Syr. urgent care, I've learned to go there for minor types of ailments as I have never had to wait as long as if I were to go to the ER at Crouse or Upstate. After giving info to the nurse I was seen by a PA. I said to her as she asked about the rash "don't tell me it is shingles" . Ok she said but you still have the shingles. WTF?

I am now taking antiviral medication about the size and color of robins egg hoping I started the treatment early enough to stem the worst parts of the affliction. What I have read is the the rash will heal in about 2-3 weeks and possible discomfort after that. Do any of you have heart warming tales of your shingle experience that could share to relief the itching and pain I feel building on my chest?
Sorry bro! At least the robins egg sized antiviral isn't a suppository. Or is it?

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Sorry to hear. My FIL is just getting over a bought with the Shingles. He was prescribed some good medicine that dried everything out pretty quickly. Feel better.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
I just finished off a bout of shingles. Mine was relatively minor but they kept me out of work for two weeks because of the strong chance of it being contagious. I experienced a fever and some chills, but very little pain. Did they give you Valtrex?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I thought you were gonna say you hurt your back putting shingles down on your roof... Hope I never get shingles it sounds like it sucks!

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Shingles is terrible. Unfortunately anyone who has had a case of the Chicken Pox is vulnerable to Shingles later on in life. Damn virus stays dormant within the nervous system and hits randomly without warning down the road. Kind of like leftist politicians during an election year - gun ban laws go on hiatus then after the election cycle all hell breaks loose. Viruses and leftists - one in the same. Frankly I'd take a perpetual case of the Shingles over Quackhole being in office for another 4 years.

·
Super Moderator
3,236 Posts
My dad and my MIL both suffered with shingles. I got the vaccine last year. I saw what it's like to have it and I want no part of it.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Just because I work in the pharmacy I feel obligated to say this. There is a vaccine you can get with a prescription that will lessen the chance you'll get it and if you do get it will lessen the severity of the outbreak. If you are over 65 and have had the chicken pox, talk to your doctor, then come on in to your local CVS.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just finished off a bout of shingles. Mine was relatively minor but they kept me out of work for two weeks because of the strong chance of it being contagious. I experienced a fever and some chills, but very little pain. Did they give you Valtrex?
Yes, A generic form.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts