New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So if this post violates any of the rules I do apologize in advance but I feel I need to vent today:

Friday Marks 2 years since my younger brother was taken from. He and I were very close. At 20 years old he took over the family contracting business and grossed over 60K in less than 3 months. I lived in Plattsburgh at the time, He lived in Tupper Lake. He'd never come to town to shop without stopping by, even if he was on a date he made it a priory to see me. When i was between jobs, he knew I was to proud to take a hand out so hed leave money for me somewhere in my home and text me where it was after he left so I could not refuse.

He was caught with Marijuana, a misdemeanor amount but over 24G so it was enough to get be arrestable and not a civil citation. They arrested him, and tried to get him to become a CI and make controlled buys on the INDIAN RESERVATION, he refused. His lawyer got it thrown out because they NEVER READ HIM HIS RIGHTS, and scared him into signing a statement against himself. Well the arresting officers continued to harass him until one night he got in a car accident, the officers on scene were the arresting officers in his case..... Well I will let the Malone Telegram take it form here:

he father of a Tupper Lake man who died after an accident last July has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the New York State Police troopers and investigators who first arrived at the scene of the accident.
The lawsuit also contains claims of negligence, gross negligence and battery.

According to previous media reports, Clarence T. Peck's son Joshua Peck was driving home with two friends from a Nickelback concert at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center when his friend's pickup truck went off state Route 30 and rolled over three times. The accident occurred just south of Tupper Lake at around 2 a.m. on July 25, 2012, at the very end of a 115-mile trip.

Jordan Amell, then 17, of Piercefield, was the driver. Matthew Corrow, then 16, of Tupper Lake, was in the back seat. Both survived the accident with minor bruises and scrapes, despite Amell being thrown from the vehicle.

Joshua Peck was the front seat passenger at the time of the accident, according to a New York State Police press release issued July 28, 2012. He was reported as unconscious when state police reached the scene. The release states that officers administered CPR.

Court documents paint a much grimmer picture of police actions. According to the complaint filed by Clarence Peck's attorney James Brooks, when troopers arrived on scene Amell and Corrow were both "conscious and verbal". Corrow was inside the truck supporting Peck's head and neck in his lap. Amell had called his mother, who is an EMT, and was instructed not to move Peck until EMTs arrived.

When the troopers reached the scene, Amell allegedly informed them of the situation. Court documents then state that police instructed the boys to exit the vehicle so they could search it. When they did not, officers purportedly opened the door Corrow was leaning on, causing him to fall out of the vehicle.

The documents assert they then "dragged [Joshua Peck] out of the truck and dropped him on the ground".

The police are accused of "wrongful conduct, tortious conduct, carelessness, recklessness, and negligence" and the "complications, and significant and irreparable injuries, and death of decedent Joshua Peck would have been avoidable with the exercise of due and reasonable care."

The lawsuit claims that the police "recklessly disregarded the training they received, or should have received from their employer, when they moved {Joshua Peck] and Mr. Corrow from the vehicle." The way he was removed from the vehicle is described as "offensive."

The New York State Police press office stated that it would be inappropriate to comment on the lawsuit at this point. The state Attorney General's office, which would defend the troopers, could not compile enough information for comment in time for this article.

Brooks agreed to comment only once the lawsuit has been served, citing a 30-day waiting period.

Joshua Peck was transported to Adirondack Medical Center in Saranac Lake following the accident, then airlifted to Fletcher Allen Health Care in Burlington, Vt., where he died later that day.

Since the article was publish the NYS Attorney representing NYSP all but admitted officer negligence had contributed to his death but cited a law (can't rember exactly what it is now because I'm a bit emotional) they are twisting to protect the officers. The law was written so that if you had a order of protection against someone, and it was violated, and you were killed by the person you had the order against before officers arrived, they were not responsible. But the police are trying to use it to protect the officers who where the ones committing the act. The last court date the officer said "we removed him because after taking his pulse it was clear he was going into cardiac arrest", even though previous statements (before we sued and had forensics on our side) the officer claimed the was DOA, now they retracted that statement.

We have other proof but I will not "show my hand" to any NYSP on this forum til the lawsuit is settled.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The attorney for NYSP defense in our last hearing said "there may have been negligence on the part of the officers in the way they removed them and treated the victims, but we owed him no special treatment"

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We also offered to drop the suit if the officers were put on desk duty and no longer patrolling, but they refused. This is not a money grab, this is for accountability

·
Registered
745 Posts
Such an awful situation, but you do realize you can't lump the entire NY State Police together because of the (alleged) actions of a few, right? That's what the media and the Left are doing with gun-owners.

You do have my sympathies though, hopefully the truth comes out.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One silver lining was on his death bed he gave the gift of life. As an organ donor he gave 5 people back a chance at life, and two people back their sight.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
My last post on this thread so I can quit tearing up like little *****

My 2007 Home Coming from BCT in FT Knox KY:

View attachment 34294

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Wow man, thats terrible and I feel for you. Based on how you explained this it sounds like the troopers on the scene handled it wrong. Hold them accountable to the highest degree. Although as others mentioned, we are above lumping all people in a group as one. I understand that when emotions are high its easy to just group people to place blame and vent the hurt we feel. Its rather normal, but when you gather yourself up, and get your emotions in check I know you are smart enough to realize this.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Wow man, thats terrible and I feel for you. Based on how you explained this it sounds like the troopers on the scene handled it wrong. Hold them accountable to the highest degree. Although as others mentioned, we are above lumping all people in a group as one. I understand that when emotions are high its easy to just group people to place blame and vent the hurt we feel. Its rather normal, but when you gather yourself up, and get your emotions in check I know you are smart enough to realize this.
I honestly don't judge all NYSP the same. They are human, some are good some are bad. Some can Handel the little bit of power the badge brings others cannot. The heading was because I was a bit emotional today looking at Facebook and his wall and everything everyone was posting got to me. Its the second brother I have out lived. (an older brother died in 99). It didn't want to name the troopers directly so I guess I didnt think the heading through, but it seemed to draw in allot of views lol.

I am currently trying to leave the tech world behind and join the Sheriffs department here in Franklin county. I miss serving and upholding my oath. I don't want to go active with a house, lots of land, a wife and a child. I don't want to join the reserves because they don't have Infantry in the reserve anymore (bunch of POGs), and the ARNG is out of the question because I will not serve under this governor (again anyway).

So I do see your point, if I knew how to change the heading I would lol.

EDIT: I wanted to add to this reply that the Attorney for NYS has not even denied wrong doing, hanging there defense on the principal that NY state is not responsible for the officers actions and they "owed him no special treatment"

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Sorry for you're loss, good luck with the Sheriff's department job. Also if you're thinking of that kind of work check out the state Correction Officers job, I here some of these guys are back home in a few months after being down state. Plus the pay is probable a bit more than Franklin County.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
We all get it man. As gor editting the title, just click exit, go advanced, then edit it how you want.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Such an awful situation, but you do realize you can't lump the entire NY State Police together because of the (alleged) actions of a few, right? That's what the media and the Left are doing with gun-owners.

You do have my sympathies though, hopefully the truth comes out.
While you can't lump all the individual troopers in together, the NYSP as a whole is defending these guys. If they NYSP and acknowledged the mistakes of their officers *and* did their best to make things right, then you could blame this on the actions of a couple individuals. Since the organization as a whole is standing behind them and their actions you can safely say that the whole organization is to blame.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Agreed. After all, every trooper, straight down to Montauk knows about this case, knows 100% that the involved troopers were wrong, and is willing to defend them to the ends of the earth. :rolleyes:

Sorry about your brothers. Hopefully you find peace.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.