New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a call from my credit union's fraud department this morning. It seems that somehow someone got ahold of my debit card number and purchased over $600 worth of items from Barns and Noble, Amazon ond some on line text book company. I had to have my debit card cancelled. The only problem is I can't get to the credit union until Monday! I have four bucks in my pocket and I can't get any cash! I hate thieves!! I've never had this happen to me before. I can't figure out how this happened. I guess I'll be eating with my mother for the next couple of days!
:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
That blows had the same thing happen to me a couple of years ago. Someone bought a bunch of flat screen tv's in Texas with it. Bank took care of it and had a new card in a week. Having no access to cash is frustrating, good luck! My mother in law is staying for the weekend so if you want to take a five hour drive you can come have dinner at my place!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HA! HA! Thanks! Fortunately my mother decided to make me my favorite chicken and dumplings tonight! I'll just have her make more than usual. Leftovers can be good!

I called the on line book store and told them about the problem. The lady asked me if I had a transaction number. I said how can I have a transaction number if I didn't make the transaction? I should have known. They won't be able to help me. Hopefully my credit union takes care of it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
What?

You people with bug out bags and SHTF survival preparations don't keep any emergency cash on hand?

;)

Hmmm.

PS: Make sure you read your accountholder agreements. There are specific procedures to follow to get the bank to fix a fraudulent transaction, including making a police report. Do not rely on just phone contact even if the CS person says it's being taken care of. Always put it in writing.

If you don't get it right from the getgo, you'll have no argument later.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Same thing happened to me a number of years ago. I spoke with my bank and they immediately shut down the card. They made good on my losses.
It is a pain in the a$$ when that happens, it makes you always wonder when the next time will be!!

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
It has happened to me twice now, the second time was pretty recent (like 3 months ago) first time was buying cell phones and paying bills in england, second time was renting sports cars in oklahoma city, I don't know how they do it, but they seem to target people who have extra cash in their account at all times and have good credit ratings. Sucks about it being today with no access to cash, whenever I had it happen to me I ran to the bank and took out a few hundred for gas and groceries and whatever.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I got a call from my credit union's fraud department this morning. It seems that somehow someone got ahold of my debit card number and purchased over $600 worth of items from Barns and Noble, Amazon ond some on line text book company. I had to have my debit card cancelled. The only problem is I can't get to the credit union until Monday! I have four bucks in my pocket and I can't get any cash! I hate thieves!! I've never had this happen to me before. I can't figure out how this happened. I guess I'll be eating with my mother for the next couple of days!
:mad::mad::mad:
It has happened to me. They stole the information in one of those off the network machines like you find in bars and convenience stores, etc.. but this one was in Newark Int. irport inside the security zone in the international flights food court where they have all the food and shops. I filed a police report (everyone should do that) and told the detective I am pretty sure it was stolen there because it is the only time I used the card to get cash. A card can be easily cloned these days and my theory is that someone had access to the data inside that machine. BTW this practice is also part of organized crime so a field engineer / service person in a machine gets an extra paycheck under the table to 'accidentally' bump into some data.
Then this data is sold to regular crooks and thieves so it is very hard to link and persecute organized folks.
Inside a Bank branch ATM machines and other inside the network places is a lot more difficult because they have strict internal control standards and segregation of duties part of any bank policy. So beware of off the network transactions in those machines and do not loose sight of your card if you pay for it at the register. Also make sure you have insurance with the card or change your options/ bank agreements.
Most likely the bank will return your money after you itemize the claims and sign some papers.
in the mean time if you do not have anyone you can ask for some cash but you are good with a musical instrument give it a try at the street corner! lol.
Sorry that happened to you. Unfortunately it happens way too often these days.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What?

You people with bug out bags and SHTF survival preparations don't keep any emergency cash on hand?

;)

Hmmm.

PS: Make sure you read your accountholder agreements. There are specific procedures to follow to get the bank to fix a fraudulent transaction, including making a police report. Do not rely on just phone contact even if the CS person says it's being taken care of. Always put it in writing.

If you don't get it right from the getgo, you'll have no argument later.
Well, I don't have a bug out bag or anything like that. My debit card has been cancelled already and I moved all my money into my savings account. It will be safe in there. Even if my debit card was still active, any transaction won't pull the money out of there. It will just be declined. I'll have to talk to the bank on Monday and go from there. If the credit union requires a police report, then I'll do it. What sucks is I'll have to take the day off from work just to get it taken care of.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For those of you this has happened to, have you changed how you use your debit cards? Is there anything you have done to protect your accounts?

·
Registered
202 Posts
That's a bummer, Coolbreeze.

My sister and brother-in-law had this happen last year. They were told their account was accessed when they used a debit card at a grocery store checkout. They had initially noticed a small withdrawal and then a deposit of $20.00 or something at an ATM in Florida (possibly verifying the PIN worked?). That was on a weekend night, and by the time their bank opened Monday morning, their checking had been drained. Their bank took care of everything and reimbursed the lost money.

The bank told them when you swipe, and then type your PIN into the terminal at the checkout, that information is transmitted via a wireless signal to a main hub in the store. Apparently there are devices out there that can capture the data being transferred wireless, including your PIN that is typed into the terminal. They were told that someone can capture this information from outside of the store, like in their car in the parking lot.

I don't know if this is something that can actually happen or not, but that's what the bank told my sister. Since that happened, I use the card tied to my checking account as a CREDIT transaction, and only use the PIN number when making an ATM withdrawal.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
For those of you this has happened to, have you changed how you use your debit cards? Is there anything you have done to protect your accounts?
Yes.
Talk to your bank about your options.
I do not use the card other than at the clerks desk or inside the branch or ATM inside the branch.
Consider an RF insulated wallet or simply leave the card at home when not needed. Carry cash.
Do not loose sight of any of your cards when in somebody else's hands. Including at the checkout
restaurant, gas station, etc...
I have insurance that comes with both the credit card and debit cards. Includes travel insurance for other situations.
Every year or two depending on use report card lost and get a new one. Just put it in the shredder machine.

Furthermore to avoid other identity theft do not disclose your address data specially with SS number + signature unless you have to.
In those places where real data is not needed (marketing) provide bogus/dummy records so they will collide with the legit records in databases.
Consider freezing your credit. I have done it as I do not use it.

I hope some of this helps.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
someone posted about CC fraud on here recently, with a link to a vid of a wallet that you can buy that is "whatever" proof so that people with scanners can't "grab" your information off the card as you walk by.

Another thing you can do, and I know it sucks and is extremely inconvenient, but don't use your debit card ANYWHERE except the bank that issued it to you and perhaps trusted stores. Go to their ATM and always withdraw cash. Heading down to Ricks' Tavern isn't a good idea because who knows where he got his equipment from, who his merchant provider is, etc

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Coolbreez if you are Army or vet why don't you use USAA, they would have refunded the money on the spot.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Yes.
Talk to your bank about your options.
I do not use the card other than at the clerks desk or inside the branch or ATM inside the branch.
Consider an RF insulated wallet or simply leave the card at home when not needed. Carry cash.
Do not loose sight of any of your cards when in somebody else's hands. Including at the checkout
restaurant, gas station, etc...
I have insurance that comes with both the credit card and debit cards. Includes travel insurance for other situations.
Every year or two depending on use report card lost and get a new one. Just put it in the shredder machine.

Furthermore to avoid other identity theft do not disclose your address data specially with SS number + signature unless you have to.
In those places where real data is not needed (marketing) provide bogus/dummy records so they will collide with the legit records in databases.
Consider freezing your credit. I have done it as I do not use it.

I hope some of this helps.
Not all cards are integrated with the RF chip just to let you know. None of my cards have them and I'm glad they do not.

James

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
[
someone posted about CC fraud on here recently, with a link to a vid of a wallet that you can buy that is "whatever" proof so that people with scanners can't "grab" your information off the card as you walk by.
My brother told me about those. I told him I wasn't too worried about it. I'm sure I'll get the lecture from him! LOL!!

Coolbreez if you are Army or vet why don't you use USAA, they would have refunded the money on the spot.
I've often thought about getting an account with them. I'll have to check into it.

I went down to the local PD and filed a report with them. But I got some potential good news. One of the places where purchases were made was Barns & Noble. I called them and talked to their fraud department. They were able to look up the info with my card number. They verified that I do not have an account with them. It looks like the pruchases were for electronic material. None of it was actual physical merchandise. They were able to cancel those orders and told me they will work on getting me a refund. They were great to work with! They told me they have an IP address of the computer the stuff was downloaded to, so if my bank or the police want that information, they will get it to them. Now I have to call Amazon and the other on-line place. I'm hoping the other stuff will be just as easy to take care of.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
[

My brother told me about those. I told him I wasn't too worried about it. I'm sure I'll get the lecture from him! LOL!!

I've often thought about getting an account with them. I'll have to check into it.

I went down to the local PD and filed a report with them. But I got some potential good news. One of the places where purchases were made was Barns & Noble. I called them and talked to their fraud department. They were able to look up the info with my card number. They verified that I do not have an account with them. It looks like the pruchases were for electronic material. None of it was actual physical merchandise. They were able to cancel those orders and told me they will work on getting me a refund. They were great to work with! They told me they have an IP address of the computer the stuff was downloaded to, so if my bank or the police want that information, they will get it to them. Now I have to call Amazon and the other on-line place. I'm hoping the other stuff will be just as easy to take care of.
Nice to hear that. Amazon should be able to help too. Most companies take fraud very seriously.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Same thing happened to me, someone bought stuff from australia lol. My bank gave me back all my money immediately and only said that they would take it back if it was me and it wasn't so I was all good.

I am a little more careful where I use it online and at ATM's but that is about it.
An idea for online purchases (I do not have this and never used it or really looked into it much) is you could look into and maybe try this if you buy stuff online a lot. That way atleast your info isnt stored on your computer.

Amazon.com: NetSecure SMSEN01 SmartSwipe Card Reader (Black): Electronics

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I just got the same call a couple days ago. The bank stopped charges on video games and music. I'm worried they may know my habits all too well. I'm in the same boat, I have a dollar in my pocket, but I do have plenty of food in cans, half a tank of gas, and don't have to go back to work until Wednesday.

Silver lining in all of this is that there's a likelyhood that whoever is placing those charges is probably in possession of my laptop, which was stolen about a month ago with a list of other electronics I've worked hard and saved money to purchase lawfully. The bank just may be able to do what the police couldn't get done.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts