New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into a shotgun or semi auto 5.56 for home defense. Would using a Mini 14 that's NY compliant be less justified in a self defense situation than a shotgun? I am new to NY and was told they will try to vilify the face that the rifle was a semi auto and required the extra license to own. Any thoughts? Does upstate NY have any experienced self defense firearms attorneys?

· Registered
428 Posts
I am looking into a shotgun or semi auto 5.56 for home defense. Would using a Mini 14 that's NY compliant be less justified in a self defense situation than a shotgun? I am new to NY and was told they will try to vilify the face that the rifle was a semi auto and required the extra license to own. Any thoughts? Does upstate NY have any experienced self defense firearms attorneys?
Learn the laws regarding the New York Penal Law, Article 35. Any firearm that is in legal possession in a self defense case will not be questioned if you are the victim. I have seen 12 gauge shotguns used in self defense shootings and no charges were filed as it was a clear case of self defense.
With the new CCIA law requires an 18 hour course. In that course, you will learn about the use of Deadly Physical Force.

· Super Moderator
5,005 Posts
If you owned the rifle prior to 9/4/2022 you do not need the license for any semi auto.
NYS may try to vilify you for any self defense action unless it’s cut and dry but that happened regularly so learn article 35 and you should be ok. Yes there are self defense or 2A lawyers in NYS.
Biggest thing to remember is you can not use deadly physical force for property defense only for your life or another’s. You have a duty to retreat if you can and there is no stand your ground laws. The only exception to this is if someone breaks into an occupied dwelling then you can use deadly physical force.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts