New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
World Made By Hand by James Howard Kunstler.

I'm three chapters in and simultaneously fascinated and repulsed. The post SHTF novel is based on a peak oil premise that introduces us to a world where electricity is only on for an unpredictable 30 minutes per month and thus electronic methods ofcommunication are non-existent. Society has returned to a "handmade" local economy where there is little news ofanything outside your home town and people live a pre-industrial agrarianlifestyle. Sounds pretty good to me,especially as the setting is literally in my home county. All the place names are familiar to me as are the route numbers, rivers, climate, planting conditions etc. The author actually lives locally which is the appeal of this book.

What is horribly disappointing is that Kunstler is obviously morally bankrupt, depressed, and ashamed of his own liberal lifestyle. He speaks of the community growing together in the local church, he has two characters that are preachers but in three chapters he has never once mentioned his characters praying or otherwise having a relationship with God. It seems he views the church as a community center/ club and nothing more.

The first character he introduces is the minister of the local church who Kunstler portrays as swearing drinking and sexually impotent. He then veers off into the preacher's wife is sleeping with the main character and who is chronically depressed. Their extra marital sexual relationshipis described as "sad" Every page seems to reveal another aspect of the author ashamed of a sinful, liberal lifestyle with no honor, hope for humanity, salvation, or redemption.
It appears that the author lacks a moral compass and his lack of integrity has carried into his depressing characters.

I sure hope it gets better because a SHTF novel set in my home town has the potential to be a great read, but I sure haven't seen it so far.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Welcome to Iraq and Afghanistan early post war and even still in some parts of those countries. Sometimes I wonder if we would be better off without electricity.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The novel was okay, nothing special, and the sequel was about the same, just mediocre. It is entertaining trying to determine exactly where the novel takes place, from his desciptions you can almost pinpoint the roads.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Welcome to Iraq and Afghanistan early post war and even still in some parts of those countries. Sometimes I wonder if we would be better off without electricity.
I use $16/month worth
I can not get it any lower without losing Refrigeration
Solar/Batts run lights & computers

oh yea ..
and no wife, either ...:cute:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts