New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think of a company that decides to work on the Fourth of July so they can have a three day weekend? Oh, and just announce it with a letter in your pay check today? Just a week and change before. And your opinion was not asked for,
So plans with family, to have your kids, to be in a parade, or volunteer work committed to already be damned.

Can't take a sick or personal day because they announced two weeks ago that not working the day before or after a holiday day off means you give up the benefit of pay for that holiday.

Nice bunch of commies is what I think.....

· Formerly SRV1
4,726 Posts
I would stand my ground and tell them that you will not be there on the fourth. You have made plans and you cannot change them and they should have not changed their minds to benefit them at the last minute. I have been in your shoes quite a few times. I learned that I get paid by the hour and I'm not the owner of the business that I have a job the hours I'm scheduled at and have a life that does NOT revolve around work. Do you mind if I ask what you do?

· Registered
982 Posts
On the downside, we won't be able to get anyone on the phone because everyone else will have the day off. On the upside, the damn phone won't ring all day and we might get something done.

Fireworks are on the night of the fourth and I won't have to get up at 5am.

We can go blow up the range on the fifth when everybody else is at work.

5,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tannerite Friday huh? July 5th holiday?
Independence Day should be celebrated on the 4th. It should mean more than just a day off.
I guess the bunch of un patriotic commies at work don't get it!

· Registered
1,818 Posts
Bunch Of B.S. The company I work for decided to eliminate Good Friday and replace it with a Presidents day Holiday because of Good Friday being a religious one. What's next getting rid of Christmas?...... Oh that's right, that's for Santa..

· Super Moderator
3,273 Posts
I think what they are doing sucks. Luckily I have a labor contract where I work that prevents this from happening.

· Registered
1,727 Posts
That's what vacation days are for - the holiday is the holiday. For them to announce it so late and not check if anyone has plans is simply wrong.

I'm using a vacation day on 7/5 to make the extended weekend.

· Registered
1,461 Posts
Company I work for just started an annual week off the first week of every July. I have to mention its to cut costs because our workload is so low and they just did a huge layoff. Also we have to use our earned time to get pay. But hey at least I didn't need vacation approved by my boss!

· Registered
8,557 Posts
Well a lot of communities in NNY don't even do fireworks on the 4th anymore. If you don't need the job or the money don't show up for work. The 4th is in the same state as Columbus Day, Veterans Day, thanksgiving day and Christmas, there are a lot of folks that just see it as another day. The pride that used to be there about just beling privileged enough to be an American Citizen is almost gone.

sad to say....

· Registered
1,776 Posts
As an air traffic control who works 9 weekend in a row to get one off, who has worked 28 out of 33 Christmases and most other holidays, birthdays and anniversaries, I have no sympathy. (BTW remember that the next time you fly, haha!) HOWEVER when your use to getting these days off I can see where it would make you mad. Like Embree Smith said sounds like you need to just suck it up.

5,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"Sucking it up" is what will be done. There will be no pouting and no attitude at work. I need the job and the income.

But it still isn't right!

I came, I bitched, out of system....subject closed. :nerd:

· Registered
651 Posts
Someday everyone will realize your employer doesn't owe you anything. That's life and we all have to learn to deal with it. Especially in this economy. Better to do what you have to do to provide for yourself and your family than loose a job over a holiday. I work in an industry that operated 24/7. You work when you're schedules to work. If someone else has vacation scheduled, well, that's tough. My kids don't live in NY so I always volunteer to work every holiday so someone with a wife and kids can take the day off. I've never complained about working a holiday. providing for my kids is my number one priority. No matter what.

· Registered
1,818 Posts
As an air traffic control who works 9 weekend in a row to get one off, who has worked 28 out of 33 Christmases and most other holidays, birthdays and anniversaries, I have no sympathy. (BTW remember that the next time you fly, haha!) HOWEVER when your use to getting these days off I can see where it would make you mad. Like Embree Smith said sounds like you need to just suck it up.
Well kudos to you, With the money you make, you should be able to retire by age 40 and there with be your vacation.

· Uberbi.. nah, I can't do it.
3,516 Posts
"Sucking it up" is what will be done. There will be no pouting and no attitude at work. I need the job and the income.

But it still isn't right!

I came, I bitched, out of system....subject closed. :nerd:
:D

Sometimes you just need to vent!! I have a friend who would say - what do you want me to do about it? Nothing. Just tell me, yeah, that sucks, and we'll be done.

So..... that sucks!

· Registered
1,776 Posts
Well kudos to you, With the money you make, you should be able to retire by age 40 and there with be your vacation.
Well you are sort of right, the old you make lots of money statement! We do make good money, but here's the catch. Even if you love this job like I do it still sucks! It is always in the top 5 to 10 most stressful job. With that stress come many stress related illnesses (too many to list), divorce, high rate of Alcoholism, hearing loss mainly in one ear cause that's the one we wear the ear piece in, we rotate shifts weekly so we never get in a good sleep pattern. ie 4 shifts of 6 am to 2 pm, 1 or 2 days off then 4-5 shifts of 2 pm to 10 pm,1 or 2 days off, every 7 weeks 4 or 5 1030 pm to 630 am sometimes we have to go from a 2-10 shift back to a 6-2 shift the next day.

It is one of the few jobs with age limits (again a stress relate job thing) you can't become a controller after age 31 and you have to retire at 56, we can retire at anypoint when we get 25 years in or anytime after age 50 as long as we get 20 years in at 34% of our base pay (this % goes up with more years). Doesn't matter how many planes there are you can't say; stop I have too many. They are run on gas and it runs out, we have to get them on the groun, we save and or protect more lives than any other profession.

We pretty much only see things in black and white, not many gray areas in our world, we follow strict rules every hour of every day we work. This follows us into our private lives, hence the high rate of divorce.

We don't have a normal or even a good social life, why, because we don't ever get the same days off, very few weekends(which is when most folks have their parties and gathering. After so many times of saying no I have to work or can't make it I have to work, people just stop asking you. It's not that they don't believe you and we still have a good time if all the moons aline, it just doesn't happen that often!

This job effect our personal lives in way you can't understand, we can't bring the job home, the wife doesn't understand when you start talking about the pilot missing the vector or starting his turn late or having to work short because there is no overtime available. We have dreams about crashing planes together, we wake up in the middle of controlling airplanes in bad WX. Try explaining that when you woke the wife up.

Some places it's not so bad, like Rochester NOW. When I first got here we were the 87th busiest facility in the country, with one of the most difficult runway setup. We now run about a 1/3 less traffic. I was also stationed at Eglin AFB for 5 years, this was the busiest air traffic facility in the air force.

Yes we make good money, but with the lack of sleep, medical problems, a limited social life, looking the wife and kids in the eye on most holidays while I say good bye or the kids not having dad there on their B-day or the wife putting a little something extra in my lunch for our anniversary, after 33 years I'm not sure it has all been worth it, money isn't everything.

· Registered
298 Posts
I hear you I used to work at a factory I was a 2nd/3rd shift foreman I worked 3 yrs in row Christmas eve, Christmas night, new yr eve, new yrs night. I used to work so much over time I would bring home 12 to $1300 pay checks. i have a way better job now with weekends off and I am still the boss....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.