New York Firearms Forum banner

Woodchuck arrest

4K views 34 replies 21 participants last post by  Dan in NY 
#1 ·
GRAND BLANC TOWNSHIP, Michigan - Police arrested a man for shooting a woodchuck in his back yard at 1:56 p.m. July 8 in the 5400 block of Kimberly Drive.
Police were called to the scene because of a concerned citizen reporting hearing shots fired in the area.
Police said it is illegal to discharge a firearm too close to another person's home.
Police found the 39-year-old Grand Blanc Township man standing in his garage and asked him if he had been shooting. The man said he had just shot his .22 caliber rifle three times at a woodchuck in his back yard, hitting it twice, at a range of about 50 yards.
The man showed police the animal, which was dead in the back of his truck.
The man was released pending further investigation. View attachment 7895

#2 ·
If he'd used subsonic .22s and kept the muzzle inside the window none of this would have happened :)

#9 ·
A silent wrong is as wrong as a loud one. I one cannot do firearms discharge in the area because of the law one should comply, also understandable in this case, one should get a trap or simply call animal control. Also check if a air pellet gun would be ok to use. Some 22's are very effective but
anyway caution should be used as if it was a firearm. I see many houses close by.

#4 ·
Yup this sure looks like a dumb place to be shooting, no matter which house he was in, in that picture, there was danger all around him.

#6 ·
Holy crap that's a lot of houses. I'd have arrested him. Thought it was just a neighbor and he didn't have anyone behind him.

#12 ·
i understand why he killed it, they can be destructive and expensive pests but i believe he should have used a snare and taken it to basement and either drowned it in bucket or killed it with a pellet to the brain

that looks like my block (packed) and if my next door neighbor fired a round in his backyard id knock him out for putting my saftey at risk
citys and suburbs are no place to fire weapons

this does not include farms, cabins, and non urban areas but if this douche bag over penetrated hit the brick or stone behind chuck and had a ricochet he could easily hit someone or someone property

i sometimes believe that people like this are plants by liberals trying to make it illegal to own guns..... THESE DUDES MAKE US ALL LOOK BAD

#13 ·
He was totally in the wrong, but I truly understand his frustration. I have one of the bastards that is really tearing up the place. With a safe full of guns staring at me it really is tempting but I know better. Personally I like the flame thrower option but thinking I am going to have to find someone that will let me borrow a Have a heart trap.

#16 ·
Block all of his holes except one. Remove the muffler from the push lawn mower and screw in a piece of pipe. Attach rubber hose to pipe. Stick rubber hose in hole and cover with rags. Start mower and let run for an hour or so. Remove hose, fill in hole and check for activity the next day.
If the mower is an oill burner all the better.

#30 ·
This type of behavior definitely makes it more difficult for those of us to keep our firearms. Mayor Mike and his Anti-Buddies would have this on the front page if it wasn't for the fact they already have enough other stuff to throw out there.

I have had to deal with these pesky critters so there is no love lost. Just try and be smart about this stuff, if legal trap and kill it otherwise spend the money to have someone that is licensed handle it and avoid the entire situation.

#33 ·
Or wait patiently not far from his hole until he either returns or heads out for a snack. I nailed one with a spade shovel a few years ago not long after my house was built. I let him exit his hole (which was in my backyard), then followed him as silently as I could for about 50 yards. He was snacking on steel seconds later.

#34 ·
This is why I have a compound bow. They are silent, deadly and the neighbors don't care if I shoot it in the back yard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.