Uhh, not even close to justifiable.

Keep the PK380 holstered.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Uhh, not even close to justifiable.

Keep the PK380 holstered.
Trespassing and shoving her hand aside while she asks him not to mess with her stuff and has signs posted saying that she does not want the "smart meter"? She wasn't going to overpower the guy, and if she called the police he would have been halfway done tearing up her old meter, doesn't seem she had alot of choice at that point. Just my opinion.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I don't like when the UPS driver walks on my lawn. Open fire.

No. Save the guns for defending your life and fix issues with utility companies in a civil manner.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I think she went a little overboard but the guy trying to put in the smart meter crossed the line as well. If I have signs outside no tresspassing including the UPS guy then he shouldnt come on my property either. I wont get any packages lol but it should still be my choice. As far as her constitutional right I dont think it applies if she is getting her electricity from a private company. If she does not want the new one then they tell her to find another provider.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Good for her. Once the guy touched her, she was well within her rights.

I'm sure someone else agrees, otherwise there would have been a mug shot in the story instead of an interview.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
sorry for being off topic but does anyone know why they have a IR light that flashes every 5 seconds if they transmit once every 15 minutes?

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Jesus H, if that happened in NY she would have gotten pepper sprayed kneed in th eback cuff and thrown in jail for a loooong time, unless it was in NYC and they slap your pee pee and say don't play wif guns anymore

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Good for her. Once the guy touched her, she was well within her rights.

I'm sure someone else agrees, otherwise there would have been a mug shot in the story instead of an interview.
So someone touching you is justifiable use of lethal force now? Yikes, I better stop shaking hands with people.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
God Bless her.

I as just notified that my Town wants to install a "Smart Meter" in my house. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
They should just shut her power off and let her keep the old meter.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Turtles carry salmonella. I like turtles. Better not shake my hand.

Just sayin. ;)

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
So someone touching you is justifiable use of lethal force now? Yikes, I better stop shaking hands with people.
Use of lethal force? She didn't shoot him. She (a 50-something year old woman) presented her gun after she was pushed a few times by a presumably much stronger utility worker who was asked several times to leave her property and disregarded several No Trespassing signs.

It still seems reasonable to me.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't like when the UPS driver walks on my lawn. Open fire.

No. Save the guns for defending your life and fix issues with utility companies in a civil manner.
The UPS guy wouldn't shove you aside to make sure he gets to your front door, and if he did there would be problems, if you were 50 years old and not as strong as he was there might be a problem.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
well first off there are a couple of issues here.

ONE: the meter does not belong to you, it belongs to the power company. The power company has an easement to the meter unless the meter is in your basement.

TWO: The Power company employee has NO RIGHT to physically touch a home owner without the persons permission, that is assault, period. (Touch a cop and see what happens)

Third: Power company employees should have backed off and called the police or his supervisor. It's not his job to get into a confrontation with HO'rs. Engage an RG&E employee and see how fast there will be 5 cop cars in front your house.

Fourth: This took place in TEXAS, citizens have more rights in Texas than NYS

Fifth: (kind of a catch-22) the old meter is "geared", the new meter is digital, the old meter maybe "off" so you maybe paying more for electricity than with a new meter. The only way to tell is by buying your own meter and putting it after theirs. Many LARGE corporations (Kodak, Xerox~~~) do have meters installed after RG&E's and they are in a constant billing battle with RG&E

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I dont know. I would think a person's home is their castle.
Certainly. And it seems the mood so far in this thread is that if the blacksmith comes to tighten the bolts up on the drawbridge and you don't like his hair color the off the the guillotine with him!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts