New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one used these and have you had any issues with them.

I used them in two rifles which wont cycle right now. One won't eject the rounds and the other jams the empty shell trying to discharge it. I put in a standard DPMS spring and didnt have the issue.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Sounds like you solved your problem.

Was this on a gun that was equipped with a carbine weight buffer?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Rules to insert into one's 'rules to live by' list. Change #~ing as required to suit.

1) Only if absolutely neccisary play buffer weight to tune carbine length gas system functioning, play spring weight to tune buffer. Do NOT try to tune from the spring first.
2) Don't frig with a rifle buffer that is using a rifle spring in a rifle length gas system.
3) If it cycled fine to begin with, don't frig with it at all *unless you have the skillset to do so* AND you have a very specific purpose for doing so beyond 'my freind said'

*AKA the '2% smarter than the equiptment you're working with' rule

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ones a carbine and ones a rifle length. I built the guns from the ground up so I used the springs based on some stuff i read as they look (are better quality if they functioned properly). I was lucky enough that I hve two other carbine ar's so I was able to try the spring and buffer from that rifle.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Springco is reputed to be one of the better aftermarket spring suppliers that offer variable spring rates for tuning things.

Still, the rest needs to be fully functional and dialed in with standard/stock components first before chasing down the last few tweaks.

Getting an altered rate recoil spring before even putting round one down the bore is like getting a random set of suspension springs today then hoping they work on the new car you're picking up next week.
If you've done a fistful of builds and a lot of AR tuning you've likely got a fair idea of what should or shouldn't work *right out of the box but otherwise its pretty much just hoping for the best as you're trying to hit a target that you don't even yet know the location of.

*EG: an H buffer in a carbine will generally, but not always, be smoother cycling than a standard carbine buffer right off the bat sight unseen, rounds unfired.
But if it short strokes when it does get fired, revert back to a standard carbine buffer before even touching anything else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts