New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the idea of owning a firearm and am in the market for a rifle and pistol for home protection and target practice. Are there any recommended rifles that might have one so called "evil" feature. I like the idea of the pistol grip and something that does not have tremendous kick, so that my wife can use it. I would like something with a rail system that you could add a light or scope. I will likely be going to a dealer soon, but want to do a little homework first. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
i would say start with a Ruger 1022, if you have no experience. a Mini14 is a nice 223/556 option, if you can shoot.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ruger Mini-14 is an awesome gun.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I am new to the idea of owning a firearm and am in the market for a rifle and pistol for home protection and target practice. Are there any recommended rifles that might have one so called "evil" feature. I like the idea of the pistol grip and something that does not have tremendous kick, so that my wife can use it. I would like something with a rail system that you could add a light or scope. I will likely be going to a dealer soon, but want to do a little homework first. Thanks.
To me, when people ask what kind of gun to buy it means that they have no practical experience with firearms. I agree with DrgnFly. May I suggest that you take the NRA safety course and then join a club. In a short time you will have formed your own opininos as to what's best for you.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That does sound like a good idea. Is the NRA website best for that or is that something where I need to go to my county office building? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
You can try and call
the putnam sheriff , they may have a recommendation , they don't do live fire course but will give a safety course for free. You need it Anyway for your pistol permit. Ammo 4 guns up in dutchess is a store you can check out get a feel for a few guns see what you like .they usually have a good amount of stock ,but I haven't been up there in a while.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
You can try and call
the putnam sheriff , they may have a recommendation , they don't do live fire course but will give a safety course for free. You need it Anyway for your pistol permit. Ammo 4 guns up in dutchess is a store you can check out get a feel for a few guns see what you like .they usually have a good amount of stock ,but I haven't been up there in a while.
Ammo 4 Guns? Where's that?

Or you meant collectors on 82?

If so I would skip that trip hahah.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
asking for ideas of buying a firearm with illegal features.... nice 1st post

·
Banned
150 Posts
I don't understand ^^^^, he did write "1 evil feature". That would be legal........
if I were you Clydesdale I'd go shoot with a buddy that owns guns, go to a range and try a few out, and definitely take some sort of safety/basic knowledge class. As for recommendations we all have our own tastes. What's best for me may not be best for you. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Elwood, please re-read what I wrote. You have completely mischaracterized it. I am new to this, but I believe a pistol grip is considered an "evil feature", correct? I am certainly not looking for something illegal. From what I have been reading, a removal magazine, a pistol grip, a suppressor, and a place to screw in a bayonette are all "evil features" and you can only have one now. The purpose of the question is to make sure I understand what is legal and to focus on legal features. I don't think that is a bad first post at all. But, I may be biased on that judgment.

Anyway, I did go Collector's on 82 in Hopewell and to Precision Armory. Both were helpful and it seems like I need to go to the County Clerk for the paperwork and to the Sheriff for the basic course.

It was then suggested that I go to "Shooters" in New Milford, CT. There I could rent different calibers and see what I prefer. I also have a two friends that would go with me. Am I legally allowed to shoot my friend's pistol? It seems I have sort of derailed my own thread with these questions, but I am coming to you guys, humbly, for guidance.

BTW, does anybody have any comments on either of the two dealers that I went to? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Elwood, please re-read what I wrote. You have completely mischaracterized it. I am new to this, but I believe a pistol grip is considered an "evil feature", correct? I am certainly not looking for something illegal. From what I have been reading, a removal magazine, a pistol grip, a suppressor, and a place to screw in a bayonette are all "evil features" and you can only have one now. The purpose of the question is to make sure I understand what is legal and to focus on legal features. I don't think that is a bad first post at all. But, I may be biased on that judgment.

Anyway, I did go Collector's on 82 in Hopewell and to Precision Armory. Both were helpful and it seems like I need to go to the County Clerk for the paperwork and to the Sheriff for the basic course.

It was then suggested that I go to "Shooters" in New Milford, CT. There I could rent different calibers and see what I prefer. I also have a two friends that would go with me. Am I legally allowed to shoot my friend's pistol? It seems I have sort of derailed my own thread with these questions, but I am coming to you guys, humbly, for guidance.

BTW, does anybody have any comments on either of the two dealers that I went to? Thanks.
Sorry sir but you cannot legally touch a handgun in NY without a permit unless you're under 21. Its a huge bummer but its the law. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Collectors has always had a nice selection of guns and ammo (at least before the safe act) I always thought best prices too. They are a lil rough around the edges but helpful and knowledgeable. There is also a small shop on Route 44 in Pleasant Valley called Civil Armory. Much smaller selection though.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
You could go with a pump shotgun as there pretty much the only type of gun you can have with a pistol grip except bolt action rifles,the Mini 14 or Mini 30 would be a great rifle but you can not own them with a pistol grips as there semi automatic rifles..

The Remington 870 shotgun is a very versatile shotgun as you can buy all sorts of add on to customize it to your need.another shotgun would be the Mossberg Flex 500 which is another one that you can customize it with all the accessories you can buy for it..

My self I go with a Mini 14 but you will have to sacrifice not having a pistol grip if you plan on shooting it here in NY..

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I was told one time that a 10/22 is a great self-defense weapon and I agree. You can keep it in bedroom with fully loaded clip hidden and if needed clip is put in and round chambered quickly then you have 10 shots from a very controlable rifle that you or your wife can master quickly. The 22lr shouldn't go thru walls and hurt innocents but it should damage the intruder. Don't use hollow points use solid lead as you will get better penetration sometimes hollow points explode on the surface and cause little real damage.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, collector's did seem a little "rough around the edges", but I did go there only 45 min before closing time and they were fairly busy. The guy was straight to the point, but he pointed me towards the next step.

I do realize that I cannot handle a pistol in NY without a permit. So, it was suggested that I apply then go to "Shooters" in CT and rent some there.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
If you're looking for a primary Home Defense (HD) weapon that we can still have in NY, there's nothing better than a good, pump action 12 gauge shotgun. It's the best for close quarters combat. In a home invasion situation, you will most likely within 5 yards of your target, and the sound of a pump action getting racked is unmistakable. Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 are 2 of the most popular for very good reasons. They're both a time tested weapon system, and they also have a TON of accessories available. Being that they're not semi-auto, you can hang as many evil features on them as you want and Emperor Cuomo can't touch you.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts