New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
I haven't yet, but I plan on doing some testing in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
This picture sums it up, and this is why I will wait (took me until Win7 came out to upgrade from XP)

Sorry for the long picture but the first one I posted said "****" and dodged the forums automatic censor, this is the only one I could find that didn't.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I haven't used it, but from all I have seen the new interface looks bad. When one of the main features of the OS is "You can make it look like the old one!", I lose faith.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought Windows 95 was ok...

Anyway, Windows 8 might be ok if you have a touchscreen PC or something else, but using it on a laptop with a trackpad is neigh impossible. It's too easy to click the wrong thing.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
It looks to me like they took Windows 7 and then added a home screen of giant Apple Ipad App type buttons to confuse the ever living **** out of PC users and hid a button in there somewhere to make it look like normal again. Oh and they are gonna charge you like 300 bucks to install this crap.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I installed the consumer preview onto a VM in Sun Virtualbox and spent some time with it. I do not like the Metro UI much at all for a desktop PC. It's cumbersome, even with a mouse. I'll probably not upgrade my main desktop PC or work laptop. If I get a tablet, I'd consider win8 as an option if it runs well.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I installed the consumer preview onto a VM in Sun Virtualbox and spent some time with it. I do not like the Metro UI much at all for a desktop PC. It's cumbersome, even with a mouse. I'll probably not upgrade my main desktop PC or work laptop. If I get a tablet, I'd consider win8 as an option if it runs well.
You got it working on a VM? We tried getting it to work in VMware, but the install just looped and looped and we weren't able to finish it.

Right now I have it running on a thinclient that we converted to a working laptop.

·
Registered
859 Posts
The GUI that everyone loves from 7 is buired in there and you can convert it back to look more traditional. ;)

·
Registered
536 Posts
You got it working on a VM? We tried getting it to work in VMware, but the install just looped and looped and we weren't able to finish it.

Right now I have it running on a thinclient that we converted to a working laptop.
Yeah, I had no problem installing it on Virtualbox. That is weird that VMWare didn't work. It's such a popular platform, you'd think for sure the drivers would be there.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts

·
5,143 Posts
From what I've seen, I'm not a fan of the UI either. It almost seems like change, just to change. I don't have any spare PCs that will run it, or it would already be installed. Maybe I'll test it out after I get done testing Fedora running a VM of Windows 7 in VirtualBox.

That image leaves out Windows 2000. I didn't think 95 was that bad either. It wasn't as good as 98, but 98 really improved when 98 SE was released.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
From what I've seen, I'm not a fan of the UI either. It almost seems like change, just to change. I don't have any spare PCs that will run it, or it would already be installed. Maybe I'll test it out after I get done testing Fedora running a VM of Windows 7 in VirtualBox.

That image leaves out Windows 2000. I didn't think 95 was that bad either. It wasn't as good as 98, but 98 really improved when 98 SE was released.
I thought Windows ME was Win2000?

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Not a fan of Win 8. I've done some limited testing with it and plan on sticking with 7 for another year or two. Win 8 definitely seems to be targeted at tablets and touch-screen devices, especially with Microsoft trying to gain stronger presence in the tablet market with the Surface. Unfortunately for Microsoft I think the Surface may end up sharing the same fate as the Zune...

Win Me (Mistake Edition...LOL) was one of the worst releases of Windows, ever (it was on the shelf for less than a year). Win Me was based on the Win 9x platform, not on NT (as was Win 2000), so it was vastly inferior. All that being said, I probably shouldn't bother mentioning I worked for Apple for a few years after I was out of college, back in 2001-2003 before the company took off (yeah, I should've stayed, hindsight is always 20/20)...

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
NO. that is retarded, it looks like a xbox 360, another reason for me to stay OSX

·
5,143 Posts
Not a fan of Win 8. I've done some limited testing with it and plan on sticking with 7 for another year or two. Win 8 definitely seems to be targeted at tablets and touch-screen devices, especially with Microsoft trying to gain stronger presence in the tablet market with the Surface. Unfortunately for Microsoft I think the Surface may end up sharing the same fate as the Zune...

Win Me (Mistake Edition...LOL) was one of the worst releases of Windows, ever (it was on the shelf for less than a year). Win Me was based on the Win 9x platform, not on NT (as was Win 2000), so it was vastly inferior. All that being said, I probably shouldn't bother mentioning I worked for Apple for a few years after I was out of college, back in 2001-2003 before the company took off (yeah, I should've stayed, hindsight is always 20/20)...
Any idea why they decided to reuse the name Surface? That is what PixelSense was called. I was a bit confused for a while before I realized that! I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up exactly where the Zune is now. The iPad already has a very strong market presence, just like the iPod. The one thing Surface has going for it is applications. You will be able to install "regular" PC applications on it. If business people take to it because of Office, then it will stand a chance.

Windows ME was horrible. I remember trying to network two computers with a crossover cable to share some files and having nothing but troubles. Blue screens, freezing, everything. It has to be Microsoft's worst OS ever.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts