New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about picking up a new shotgun, and have been looking at the Winchester SXP defender. The only thing that has been keeping me from buying one is the lack of after market parts. I am specifically looking to put a light and side saddle on the shotgun.

I recently found that Tacstar is making a side saddle for the winchester SX3, and I was wondering if anyone knew if this would fit on the SXP.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I also looked at this gun but only online. I could not find one in stock to look at. I ended up buying a Benelli Nova Tactical and am very happy with it.

I dont believe in lights on HD guns.....maybe a strobe type light but imo it Gives the perp an aiming point.

Mesa tactical may make a side saddle for the SXP but dont email them your inquiry they dont respond. call them.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Mesa Tactical makes awesome products.. I BELIEVE a side saddle for a winchester 1300 should fit that gun, but don't think Mesa makes one... As stevec said, i would call them. I love my Mesa side saddle for my 870, i'll never buy another brand.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Idk if this would effect your purchase but when I was talking to my friend about this gun before I got my Mossberg his big gripe about it was its a choked barrel. Hes a LEO and his take on it was you dont really want a choke in an in home combat scenario. The wider pattern could send shot going where you may not want it. His opinion was the Remington and Mossberg where more combat oriented. Now Idk if all superX defenders are like this but the one I had linked to him was. Just something to look at and keep in mind.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Super X defenders do not have screw in chokes - it's fixed cylinder. The fit and finish of this gun is way better than the mossy and the remingtons. I have not shot the SXP, but held and racked it and the mossy's and rems. It's just feels more solid, less slop. Been wanting to get one for a while, but can't find one local, and should have just bought the one I was holding.

Not bashing rem or mossberg, just saying this is one heck of a nice pump shotgun for the money. They also make a home/camp combo, that has a HD barrel and a field barrel, and it's a nice deal too.

Only downside, as all have said, is lack of aftermarket goodies. Means a lot to some, not so much to others (me included).

LMS

·
Banned
150 Posts
personally love Winchester shotguns, fit me like a glove.....like lms said ^^^^ not many aftermarket parts, but if it fits you, and feels like it belongs there I'd grab it imo.....I like the mossys and the rems, own some. They're all good.....but like a stated the Winchester just seems to fit ME best

·
Registered
51 Posts
my 590 doesnt have any slop persay...but you must get what "fits" you. Again Idk if the site I checked had a typo or what cause now it doesn't say what it did a month ago. I will add thought that this Winchester isn't made in the U.S. and has the lower 5+1 capacity.

·
Registered
51 Posts
" 18" cylinder choked barrel for wide patterning. This open choke is also very accurate when using Foster-type slugs"

·
Registered
51 Posts
So its a choked barrel? Idk I think in a combat scenario in my home with kids in other rooms Id want a tighter pattern. Thats just my opinion though.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Idk if this would effect your purchase but when I was talking to my friend about this gun before I got my Mossberg his big gripe about it was its a choked barrel. Hes a LEO and his take on it was you dont really want a choke in an in home combat scenario. The wider pattern could send shot going where you may not want it. His opinion was the Remington and Mossberg where more combat oriented. Now Idk if all superX defenders are like this but the one I had linked to him was. Just something to look at and keep in mind.
At close range,wich most encounters take place and in an indoor environment a #6 or #7 shot is all you need......Center mass that load will open a nasty rat-hole and you will have a far less chance of penetrating the walls so you don't endanger another family member or a neighbor...

·
Banned
150 Posts
I completely agree with raven. I've also watched videos on this subject. Bird shot will not penetrate both layers of drywall......according to what I saw anyways. Never actually tried it myself. But my HD is loaded with #7 for that reason......

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I completely agree with raven. I've also watched videos on this subject. Bird shot will not penetrate both layers of drywall......according to what I saw anyways. Never actually tried it myself. But my HD is loaded with #7 for that reason......
Here is a good video demonstrating bird shot & 00 Buck vs drywall in a hypothetical,close quarters home scenario.....

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Super X defenders do not have screw in chokes - it's fixed cylinder. The fit and finish of this gun is way better than the mossy and the remingtons. I have not shot the SXP, but held and racked it and the mossy's and rems. It's just feels more solid, less slop. Been wanting to get one for a while, but can't find one local, and should have just bought the one I was holding.

Not bashing rem or mossberg, just saying this is one heck of a nice pump shotgun for the money. They also make a home/camp combo, that has a HD barrel and a field barrel, and it's a nice deal too.

Only downside, as all have said, is lack of aftermarket goodies. Means a lot to some, not so much to others (me included).

LMS
I own one and have shot it. Love it. Still want to pick up a 590 though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts