New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Looks nice but the only advantage in my opinion is the lower cost of ammo and that's not a deal breaker.

It's not going to replace or outperform my Browning A-Bolt .223

Manufacturers will constantly re-invent the bullet to increase sales, it's what they do.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
.17 HMR isnt cheap compared to .22 LR
I don't understand your point? Why are you comparing 2 completely different rounds?

The .17 WSM has better ballistics than the .22 Hornet and costs less to shoot than it costs to buy components only for the .22 Hornet.

Ballistics for the .22 Hornet
.22 Hornet (45 Sp)26901502723225

Ballistics for .223 55gr

.223 Rem. (55 Sp)324023041282648

So ya, the .223 has 3X the energy at 200 yards, but also costs 3X more to shoot per round.

I'm preordering a .17 WSM. It's the varmint gun that .17 HMR should have been!

·
R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,474 Posts
I agree with the superiority of the .17 WSM round. I hope more rifles will be able to chamber it later on this year.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pretty limited with such light grain pills.20 or 25 grains isnt alot of knock down power there.Be good for prarie dogs or smaller critters maybe.heres a link to there performance page.
17 Winchester Super Magnum Product Demo
Not everyone buys a .17 just like not everyone hunts with a pistol or a bow. The .17 HMR is a very popular round used for stuff including Coyotes with tremendous success. It's very challenging to work with less and highly satisfying to take a target with such a round. The .17 WSM is significantly better on all fronts which is why many of us will buy it.

It's not for everyone....we get that.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Oh im not saying its not for me,i own a 17 HMR and will probably own one of these as well.I just said they will be limited,never said i didnt want one.Hell i owned a 219 Zipper once,that had to be one of the most worthless calibers ever made but it was something not every one had so i needed it.Dont read more into things people say than whats there.

·
Registered
678 Posts
No doubt it's an innovative cartridge but its saving grace will be the inexpensive cost of ammo.

Ballistically there are so many cross over cartridges that they had to come up with another way to make their new cartridge marketable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.