New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
All prices have already started to go up.

Ammo is going up much faster than guns but it is going to be bad due to it starting this early.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Yes, the last 6 months I have watched it first hand.

I am not part of the gun grabbing, but the AR I am working on just happened to land right now. My lower has been done forever, and the upper I want is backordered like 3 months.

bpipe is right though, ammo is even worse. I can't stand it, the people buying it don't even shoot it, they just want to squirrel it away, or worse, resell it later in the year.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Yes, the last 6 months I have watched it first hand.

I am not part of the gun grabbing, but the AR I am working on just happened to land right now. My lower has been done forever, and the upper I want is backordered like 3 months.

bpipe is right though, ammo is even worse. I can't stand it, the people buying it don't even shoot it, they just want to squirrel it away, or worse, resell it later in the year.
The last time this happened with the ammo, it made me happy I don't own a .380 when I was seeing $50/50 rounds of ball ammo.

The gun show at the Dome last week seemed to still be reasonable when I checked it out; standard prices for ARs, a decent amount of parts, and ammunition was typically priced. Maybe when the next one rolls around it'll be different, but I hope not.

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
I too have noticed ammo prices going up, and with how many places are out of stock of ammo, they must know demand is rising.

This year, it's almost like a triple threat causing prices going up.
1) More people are into guns than ever before. I alone have gotten 3-4 people into shooting over the past 6 months or so.
2) It's a presidential election coming up. Unfortunately for us real shooting enthusiasts who are at a range every weekend or every other weekend, going through ammo like it's our job, we're the ones that'll hurt most in this. When Nobama was elected, prices didn't even begin to stabilize until almost a year after the election, and they're STILL higher than pre-election prices.
3) 2012 nut jobs.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'd expand on Cossey's list:

To his first point, Obama was cheekily named NRA's Gunsalesman-of-the-year for a reason. "The Rush" started in '08 when it became clear that Obama would become president. A lot of folks who bought guns then needed ammo then, and still need it now. Add all the people who bought guns since then either as a regular personal practice, or as a response to their perceptions of politics.

Then there's the people who bought guns due to this year's election buzz.

Finally, a lot of people have been getting their tax returns back, which = large amount of previously unbudgeted disposable income.

That's a lot of people jumping into the game for their own reasons. Some will continue to be "in-play" decreasing supply, some will drop out because they get bored or run out of disposable income.

The weird thing to me was that I was expecting a lot of people to ditch their ARs in around '09-11 because they bought them in fear of Obama and then got bored when nothing happened (no ban, no civil unrest). But it never happened. The demand for ARs remained steady and there was no giant glut of used ARs on the market. There was a glut of new lower receivers, but not one for used complete rifles.

It might die down a little after April due to folks running out of that big stash of post-tax return money, but probably won't go back down to January '12 levels.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I remember trying to find 9mm in '08. It was basically hit or miss for something reasonably priced.

And the gun shows were a little ridiculous around that time, prices were jacked way up. I always thought the point of a gun show was to get cash prices lower than retail, so the consumer gets a bargain, and the seller gets to move some stock.

We are going to the Syracuse show this month, last year we waited outside for 2 hours to get in, and although there was some neat stuff to look at there wasn't many deals. The surplus stuff was a good prices, but firearms seemed high.

I am only taking a few hundred bucks with me this year incase of a great deal, but I am mainly going with my friends so they can pick up some Mosins.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Prices have already gone up on ARs but especially ammo.
Ammo has already gone up more than $1/box of 20 rounds since September. Ammo availability is getting scarce too.
Now that Federal is into the govt ammo grab, look for availability to plummet quickly and prices to rise.
Finding pre-ban mags is tougher than ever now too.
If you are thinking of buying an AR...get one ASAP. I imagine supply will be very scarce until after the elections.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
If the world still is here after December there might be a flood of used guns on the market......That might bring thee prices down?

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
I agree with those who've posted already. The prices of guns AND ammo is going to skyrocket!! I'm comfortable with what I have for the guns I own. I pick some up here and there on occasion, but yes indeed .. the prices are rising!!! Didn't Ruger just announce they will not be accepting orders for awhile due to the huge amount of orders already placed?? That should be a good indicator that something is going on and it's not going to get better for awhile. (especially if obama gets re-elected)

·
Registered
64 Posts
We also have to take into account fuel costs. It probably costs the mom and pop stores and I would imagine other stores quite a bit of money in order to receive shipments. If the cost of fuel keeps going up, then so does the prices for the goods and services we rely on..... (It's costing me almost $42 per 100 rounds of 5.56 :( ) And what everyone else stated as well :(. I'm thinking of just ordering from cheaperthandirt for ammo. But it's not much more of a savings, unless i buy 400+ rounds..

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Yes, it is called the dumb ass tax.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
One thing not mentioned directly, though indirectly this is what everyone is talking about: Obama attacking gun control as the central issue of his next term.

If you read American Rifleman with any regularity you've seen that every month all they are talking about is Obama's secret agenda to get re-elected and then ruthlessly attack 2A rights once he is in his second term and doesn't need to be accountable to the people anymore. While one part of me thinks it is the NRA's job to scare us into giving them money, the other part of me thinks its REALLY STRANGE that his administration has been so silent about guns while he was one of the strictest anti-gun Senators in Congress before becoming president. So that lends the NRA a bit of credibility.

My justifiable gun accumulation goal (regardless of politics) has been the following: a handgun for every adult in the house (including or additionally, at least two that can be comfortable concealed) , a 12 gauge shotgun, a .22LR rifle, a centerfire bolt action rifle, and an AR-15 or other 5.56mm AR style gun. And at least 500 rounds for each of them which gets stockpiled and rotated.

So, I am accumulating these guns maybe a little bit faster than I would have due to the election. If some kind of AWB gets reinstated, I want my AR to be "pre-ban", in that it was made before 2013. And if demand does increase, regardless of whether it is justified, I'd much rather have gear and ammo resting on my shelf at home rather than running around trying to find it and paying higher prices later.

I tend to stockpile reloading supplies and reloaded ammo more than actual ammo. Besides being more economical, I can use components to make multiple calibers which gives a bit of flexibility.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
You want the latest car nobody can get and there is a 3 months waiting list. Expect to pay full price.
It goes with the demand. The demand is up, the prices goes up. It happens with everything.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Unfortunately for me i had to wait till i was "on the job" before i could start buying firearms so i was late to the game and its made it more difficult to afford some of the firearms i want. Like others have mentioned it sucks for us, the people who shoot often, because alot of people buying everything up dont even shoot, some probably dont know how to. Im not gonna lie, im def scared to see wat Obama will do if he gets reelected. I dont have my Ar15 yet and i dont wanna have to pay outrages prices for a pre2013 AR lol.
I do like Scotchman's gun accumulation method, might have to copy that ;)

·
Registered
528 Posts
If some kind of AWB gets reinstated, I want my AR to be "pre-ban", in that it was made before 2013.
IMO, if another ban passes, it will be permanent and a California-style all-out ban (register or surrender). There will be no provision for selling/trading/ transferring "preban" items (guns or magazines).

California has always been a good bellweather for gun control. You guys wonder why pistol grips and flash hiders are illegal to have on the same gun? Ask Roberti & Roos in California. The 1994 Federal AWB, upon which the current NY AWB derives from, was itself modeled on prior California legislation.

The California law got even tougher in 2000. I was in CA in Dec 1999. There were lines out the door for stripped lower receivers ($500 each)

If you think the NY AWB sucks, go see what kind of hoops the CA guys have to jump through. :eek:

The politicians will learn from their last mistake (sunset, unenforceable "preban" designations). Any new AWB that's worth the political capital to pass will be much harder on us than the last AWB ten-year-test-drive.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Maybe AR ammo is going up, but 9mm ammo has been holding steady for a while now. I am still paying $215.80 SHIPPED for 1,000 rounds of 115gr TMJ Speer Lawman ammo (been paying that since December)--just bought some today actually. I could have picked Federal American Eagle 115gr if I wanted to for the same price. Most websites I have seen have the same ammo within a $25 ballpark including shipping.

Also, M855 seems to be holding roughly at the same price (depending on the site) at around $340-$360 for 1,000 rounds. It has been that price for quite some time.

I personally think that these ammo websites are making people think that the ammo is going up but it really isn't. Ammoman.com has a big disclaimer right on the front page about ammo going up, but yet sgammo.com is way cheaper & selling the same brands. Hmmmmmmm.........

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
IMO, if another ban passes, it will be permanent and a California-style all-out ban (register or surrender). There will be no provision for selling/trading/ transferring "preban" items (guns or magazines).

California has always been a good bellweather for gun control. You guys wonder why pistol grips and flash hiders are illegal to have on the same gun? Ask Roberti & Roos in California. The 1994 Federal AWB, upon which the current NY AWB derives from, was itself modeled on prior California legislation.

The California law got even tougher in 2000. I was in CA in Dec 1999. There were lines out the door for stripped lower receivers ($500 each)

If you think the NY AWB sucks, go see what kind of hoops the CA guys have to jump through. :eek:

The politicians will learn from their last mistake (sunset, unenforceable "preban" designations). Any new AWB that's worth the political capital to pass will be much harder on us than the last AWB ten-year-test-drive.
That's why I would never visit or move to California! The whole state blows!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts