New York Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Unless the State statue has changed, a "target" license is in fact a carry license. The "target" label is an administrative restriction of the local licensing agency, not a legal restriction of State law. If found carrying with a target license, without further aggravating circumstances, the corrective action taken by the licensing agency would be to suspend or revoke your pistol permit, not to prosecute in court. Of course, what actually happens in the field will largely depend on how you and the officer making inquiries interact. I believe you will find that tact and curtesy are essential for an amicable outcome.

·
Registered
154 Posts
if NYS were smart…we know they are not, they would take a page from a state like PA. One form for the entire state. You denote the county you are applying in at the top and fill out the form…the same form, sound easy? It is? Submit the form and requisite documents (for initial permit) get fingerprinted (NYS) get permit. Well, that’s the way it should work. Makes it easy for county clerks/sheriffs/ municipalities etc. But this is NYS and we all know it’s just too simple and efficient For it to pass muster. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
32 Posts
if NYS were smart…we know they are not, they would take a page from a state like PA. One form for the entire state. You denote the county you are applying in at the top and fill out the form…the same form, sound easy? It is? Submit the form and requisite documents (for initial permit) get fingerprinted (NYS) get permit. Well, that’s the way it should work. Makes it easy for county clerks/sheriffs/ municipalities etc. But this is NYS and we all know it’s just too simple and efficient For it to pass muster. Just my 2 cents.
Yes, it would make sense and make it "easier". Thus, NYS will not do that, because they don't want anyone owning a gun period. So make it as difficult and painful/long process as possible in order to discourage as many people as possible.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Florida and Maryland both have decent online applications that make it extremely easy to submit your information as well.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Applying for a Non Resident Florida was a packet with a fingerprint card that needed to be done at the police department. The license is good for 7 years.
I'm in New York I never went to Florida but the process is easy and my renewal was even easier online.

·
Registered
916 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
And watch the range qualifications be set to 5 shots in a 1" grouping at 100'.
That would be an unlikely scenario since the police themselves can barely qualify with pretty easy target qualifications. I see them come in once or twice a year, all the time. AB34 is a pretty big target, even out to 25 yards.

Look up mandatory practice in the NYPD.

…Ron

·
Registered
34 Posts
Unless the State statue has changed, a "target" license is in fact a carry license. The "target" label is an administrative restriction of the local licensing agency, not a legal restriction of State law. If found carrying with a target license, without further aggravating circumstances, the corrective action taken by the licensing agency would be to suspend or revoke your pistol permit, not to prosecute in court. Of course, what actually happens in the field will largely depend on how you and the officer making inquiries interact. I believe you will find that tact and curtesy are essential for an amicable outcome.
Well said! That was the reason for the Bruen case.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So quick question, I live in Westchester County and I see on the 2009 guidelines that you need 4 references from the County. Now I talked to someone about this and they said all I need is 4 references in the state of NY and they cannot be blood related, is this true or false?

Also they are asking for a Utility bill for proof of residence, I technically rent a room from someone and do not pay and utilities, is there another way to go about this to provide proof of residence? I mean I get all my mail to this address but do not pay for utilities.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know in Dutchess County, all 4 references needed to be from Dutchess County. Out-of-county didn't count.
Hmmm, I wonder if the rules changed for Westchester because on their application it just states 4 references. Does the Dutchess county application actually state the 4 references need to be from Dutchess or does it say on their website?

·
Registered
4 Posts
In Rockland, all must be from the county and have known you at least 2 years.
If you already have a sportsman/residence permit, it is a simple process to change to concealed carry by submitting a form to remove restrictions for 5 dollars. 6 if you don't bring a self addressed stamped envelope. My friend said his was processed in a couple weeks, but that may change starting in September.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hmmm, I wonder if the rules changed for Westchester because on their application it just states 4 references. Does the Dutchess county application actually state the 4 references need to be from Dutchess or does it say on their website?
Yep, for Dutchess County all 4 references must reside within Dutchess County, each must know applicant for at least 5 years, each must be at least 21 yrs old, and none can be convicted of a crime. Doesn't distinguish degree of crime, so maybe jaywalking makes someone a criminal? Dunno. Plus no family members, no members of same household, no police officers, no peace officers, no judges, and no corrections officers. Says so right on the County Application Instructions Sheet.

Then when you're approved, you can run around your house playing cops and robbers since your Permit is virtually useless outside your front gate. OK, maybe alright outside front gate... but don't go to corner store with it for a quart of milk unless they have that "GUNS OK HERE" sign we're seeing at almost EVERY business in NYS all over the place, right? Sure. Totally logical.

:rolleyes: :unsure:

·
Registered
458 Posts
Orange County here. I had to have 4 references from within the county also. I had my ex Father in Law as one of the references. This was 2013.

…Ron

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yep, for Dutchess County all 4 references must reside within Dutchess County, each must know applicant for at least 5 years, each must be at least 21 yrs old, and none can be convicted of a crime. Doesn't distinguish degree of crime, so maybe jaywalking makes someone a criminal? Dunno. Plus no family members, no members of same household, no police officers, no peace officers, no judges, and no corrections officers. Says so right on the County Application Instructions Sheet.

Then when you're approved, you can run around your house playing cops and robbers since your Permit is virtually useless outside your front gate. OK, maybe alright outside front gate... but don't go to corner store with it for a quart of milk unless they have that "GUNS OK HERE" sign we're seeing at almost EVERY business in NYS all over the place, right? Sure. Totally logical.

:rolleyes: :unsure:
So fucking stupid, so say you just moved to the county from another county a few years ago. And everyone you do know in county is an anti-gun liberal like how the fuck are you able to provide 4 character references that do not live in your household and are not police officers. They really make the rules pretty stupid.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Judge Suddaby ruled it was fine for the applicant to provide 4 character references and to take the training course for all applying for a concealed carry license.
The Judge did remove “Good Moral Character” including a meeting with the Judge or Licensing Officer and a list of social media accounts and a list of people who live at the same residence.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts