New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In light of resent SCOTUS Bruen ruling. Has or will NYS / Suffolk Co. update the pistol permit application form?
I would think a lot of the BS requirements (like name of references) will have to change.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Even if NY State does, outside of a few counties upstate, every county has their own “pre process” application, such as Suffolk, Nassau, Westchester, Rockland, etc. which I am unsure how they get away with it, “2 Applications for 1 License“ ? and just do not use the NY State Application, as, if you can believe this one, the SAFE act intended it to be. The county “pre process“ is much more intrusive than the state application, and I know, for Suffolk, adds an additional 6-12 month wait to the process, as they only consider the “clock start“ when the finger print form aka NY State App is submitted, which is never less than 6 months from submission of the county application. They complain they do not have enough staff, but it’s a self created bureaucracy that would be resolved if they just used the State Application process, alone,

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even if NY State does, outside of a few counties upstate, every county has their own “pre process” application, such as Suffolk, Nassau, Westchester, Rockland, etc. which I am unsure how they get away with it, “2 Applications for 1 License“ ? and just do not use the NY State Application, as, if you can believe this one, the SAFE act intended it to be. The county “pre process“ is much more intrusive than the state application, and I know, for Suffolk, adds an additional 6-12 month wait to the process, as they only consider the “clock start“ when the finger print form aka NY State App is submitted, which is never less than 6 months from submission of the county application. They complain they do not have enough staff, but it’s a self created bureaucracy that would be resolved if they just used the State Application process, alone,
Thank you for your reply.

I intend to apply for a pistol permit. Home and target for now. Not interest in carry permit.
I was just wondering if NYS will amend the pistol permit application/process in light of SCOTUS Bruen decision?

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
there is no such thing as target and hunting anymore it's full carry with no restrictions .
And 90% of us will never get one even though we have already past all the tests. Some of us like me for 30 years.

Reactions: Lawful Carry

·
Registered
377 Posts
And 90% of us will never get one even though we have already past all the tests. Some of us like me for 30 years.
Amendments are being accepted for Unrestricted Carry for a restricted license holder. The new law has training requirements that are being worked out with the State Police. 16 hours of training. Should be a big money maker.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Amendments are being accepted for Unrestricted Carry for a restricted license holder. The new law has training requirements that are being worked out with the State Police. 16 hours of training. Should be a big money maker.
It is idiotic that an amendment is required to remove UNCONSTITUTIONAL restrictions. The Supreme Court removed the restrictions two weeks ago. No application or fee should be required to remove them. That would be like tell slaves that had to turn in an application and pay a fee to exercise their freedom after the Emancipation Proclamation was sign.

These laws are not support by text, history and tradition. Beyond that the new standard for creating laws limiting 2nd Amendment rights is strict scrutiny. The government has to prove the laws serve to accomplish a compelling government interest. There is NO EVIDENCE these laws will accomplish that purpose.

I seriously doubt these new laws are going to be upheld by the state courts or the 2nd Circuit. Maryland and New Jersey seem to have read the writing on the wall NY legislators haven't been able to read or understand.

·
Registered
377 Posts
It is idiotic that an amendment is required to remove UNCONSTITUTIONAL restrictions. The Supreme Court removed the restrictions two weeks ago. No application or fee should be required to remove them. That would be like tell slaves that had to turn in an application and pay a fee to exercise their freedom after the Emancipation Proclamation was sign.

These laws are not support by text, history and tradition. Beyond that the new standard for creating laws limiting 2nd Amendment rights is strict scrutiny. The government has to prove the laws serve to accomplish a compelling government interest. There is NO EVIDENCE these laws will accomplish that purpose.

I seriously doubt these new laws are going to be upheld by the state courts or the 2nd Circuit. Maryland and New Jersey seem to have read the writing on the wall NY legislators haven't been able to read or understand.
The Governor had her anti gun legislation pass new laws. This is a major hurdle for anyone who is with a restricted pistol license to attend a 16 hour course.
I believe anyone who is a new applicant will need to be licensed prior to taking this course as New York Law prevents you from handling a pistol. This will eliminate those who only wish to use it for target or home protection.

·
Registered
8 Posts
there is no such thing as target and hunting anymore it's full carry with no restrictions .
Unfortunately you are 100% dead wrong.
But you believe that nonsense.
The SCOTUS says they can’t ask for proper cause to get a full CCW that’s it.
There is still Sportsman and business
And if someone wants those they can apply for them. If you want to amend your current license
You have to do Just that amend it through the proper channel.
Fill out an amendment form, pay the fee and wait.
Your sportsman or business is NOT automatically converted. I will be putting in for my amendment for CCW but I’m sure. Suffolk County will try to pull some bullshit.

·
Registered
132 Posts
And if someone wants those they can apply for them. If you want to amend your current license
Your sportsman or business is NOT automatically converted. I will be putting in for my amendment for CCW but I’m sure. Suffolk County will try to pull some bullshit.
Lol,you are 100% wrong pistol permits will not be issued with restrictions on them in the future .

·
Registered
11 Posts
I dont believe that is true. My current license is restricted to hunting, fishing, camping, target shooting, and hiking.
SCOTUS has by their ruling included self defense. It doesn’t have to be printed on my license. The ruling includes self defense on all licenses, printed or not. What will happen if you are caught? Will they charge you with carrying for self defense? Something scotus has ruled is your constitutional right? I dont think so.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Listen I'm not here to argue with you it's very simple and the court has spoken if you want full carry and you qualify
you'll be given full carry .
The states are allowed to place certain requirements like training for a concealed carry license. This is why New York is using 16 hours with 2 hours on the range. It will become a huge money maker.

·
Registered
612 Posts
The other issue is that counties such as Suffolk and Nassau have their own “Pre Application” process, which is simply their own application, which is much more intrusive than the state application, and this process takes them 6-12 months to complete before you go in for the 1:1 interview, then fill out the “Finger print form”, which is the NY State Application, and from there they only start the “6 Month Yay or Nay” clock, which is why it’s taking 1.5 to 2 years for license issue. The NY State application should be only required, plain and simple, as well as the NY State renewal proces, which can be done online.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In the NYS pistol permit application, you need 4 references - WHY??
What if all your "references" hate guns and don't believe in the 2nd Amend.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts