New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any insurance adjusters on here care to give their opinion? This just happened Fri night.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Not an adjuster but my family has been in the auto-restoration/auto body/auto mechanic world for 60 years and I myself have lengthy experience in all three....

Most insurance agency's policy is if extent of repairs exceeds 60%-70% of vehicles value then it is a total loss. Once water enters the cabin and sumerges parts of the drive-train the cost of repairs/inspection sky rockets.... It's beyond carpets and seats. Wiring harnesses, sensors etc are all at risk for not functioning properly due to corrosion and become a huge liability for insurers. Hope you have full coverage...

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
WOW Sorry for your troubles,also the people who had also had problems. Did water get into the interior of the car?

Do a Kelly blue book on the value of there car to find its worth.

Were was the car parked I did not know there was any flooding in NY

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
My gf who works for Allstate, not an adjuster though, says that more than likely it will be totaled.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do have full coverage and have my rental already. The car was parked on the street outside my house. I was hoping the door seals would hold out the water but water still entered the cabin and was up to the door jam when I was finally able to open the car door after the rainwater had gone down enough.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Well good for full coverage... Have adjuster come out ASAP; whose your insurer?

It sucks to have to deal with but at least it wasn't a collision and everyone is ok. Sorry man and good luck. Keep us updated on how the claim progresses. This is an act of god type claim so won't count against you as your fault.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am insured with Erie. I called them right after it happened because my local agents office was closed. The adjuster is calling Monday to setup appointment. The only thing I am upset about is personal property not being covered unless I make a homeowners claim.

·
Registered
774 Posts
If they don't total it, I would push for it. Once you get water on the electric system odds are you going to have problems down the road. You have to remember these new cars have alot of sensors under the seats for air bags, seat belts and if you have power or heated seats. Plus even when your car drys out, most of the metal under the seats will rust, from the tracks to the springs in the cushions. When ever I look at a used car, first thing I do is check up under the dash or sits and look for metal and see if it rusted. If you find that odds are the car was flooded at one time.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
If they don't total it, I would push for it. Once you get water on the electric system odds are you going to have problems down the road. You have to remember these new cars have alot of sensors under the seats for air bags, seat belts and if you have power or heated seats. Plus even when your car drys out, most of the metal under the seats will rust, from the tracks to the springs in the cushions. When ever I look at a used car, first thing I do is check up under the dash or sits and look for metal and see if it rusted. If you find that odds are the car was flooded at one time.
^ This! Your car being totaled will be a huge pain in the a** for you but it's probably the only good outcome from that you'd have problems with the car for years after it being submerged like that. Good luck either way maybe look into a truck or SUV if your car does get totaled.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
You'd be better off if the car is totaled. Most likely it will be.

Water in a vehicle like that is bad news for a lot of reasons. The most important is that flood water isn't exactly clean like tap water, and it's not going to be fixed in a few days. After it sits for a little while with that nasty water inside you can start to get mold and bacteria. My shop won't even take a flood car in for repair, we just flat out refuse to work on them for health reasons.

Not to mention you'll most likely have lots of electrical problems for years to come.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^ This! Your car being totaled will be a huge pain in the a** for you but it's probably the only good outcome from that you'd have problems with the car for years after it being submerged like that. Good luck either way maybe look into a truck or SUV if your car does get totaled.
I have a SUV also, it just happened to be in the driveway.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I am insured with Erie. I called them right after it happened because my local agents office was closed. The adjuster is calling Monday to setup appointment. The only thing I am upset about is personal property not being covered unless I make a homeowners claim.
The same Erie insurance that was dropping a customer because the insurance company found out the business owner owned a firearm.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Like buell, my father had his own bodyshop. If there is no electrical damage they might not total it. I hope they do as a car is never the same after being flooded.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The same Erie insurance that was dropping a customer because the insurance company found out the business owner owned a firearm.
Never heard about that. You say Erie "was" dropping them. Were they dropped or is coverage still in effect? Was this widely known? If so, what is the business this happened to? I apologize for all the questions, but I've been with Erie for over a decade and would need to see some evidence of this before I would think of leaving them. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I agree with all that has been posted. After 34 years in the auto business, I have seen more than my share of vehicles that have been victims of water damage. It appears your car is a newer model, with sophisticated electronic systems, and could never cost effectively be repaired properly. And as others have stated, just the water that got into the body and seat tracks, door window regulators, wheel bearings, abs components, and wiring harnesses while appearing ok now, will show their ugly side in the future.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Having my own shop for 20 yrs. I think you would be ahead if it was totaled. I did 2 flood repairs that the ins. co. didn't & wouldn't total. Before all the supplements for water related problems were taken care of the Ins. Co. had more into the cars than they booked for.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
The costs involved after having a car flooded really begin to stack up ! For what's left of the life of the car it will be wiring harnesses , plus everything else that the water touched . It will be better off scrapped than fixed . That's my 2 cts ! ( after having one flooded before , I replaced wiring , rear seals , rear ends , front complete ends , transmission , fans , AC components . It was a complete rebuild that cost more than it was worth ! Not to mention the stress from the problems !

·
Registered
326 Posts
Never heard about that. You say Erie "was" dropping them. Were they dropped or is coverage still in effect? Was this widely known? If so, what is the business this happened to? I apologize for all the questions, but I've been with Erie for over a decade and would need to see some evidence of this before I would think of leaving them. Thanks for your input.
It was discussed long ago on this forum. Their Facebook page was bombarded with angry 2A folk. Link is below.

http:// http://nyfirearms.com/forums/laws-politics-firearms-self-defense-weapons/73565-even-legal.html

1 - 20 of 20 Posts