New York Firearms Forum banner

Will a Gun Retailer Get Away With Negligence?

1K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  Glockguy19 
#1 ·
The Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence and the law firm Arnold and Porter recently filed a lawsuit in New York against Gander Mountain, the gun retailer in Rochester that sold the weapons to Ms. Nguyen. Brought on behalf of the shooting victims and their families, the suit asserts that Gander Mountain knew or should have known that Ms. Nguyen was a straw purchaser and, accordingly, refused to make the sale. Its failure to do so, the suit says, makes it accountable for the consequences; the suit seeks reform in Gander Mountain's company polices and compensation for the plaintiffs.

According to the suit, in 2010, Ms. Nguyen, then 22, went with Mr. Spengler, then 61, to Gander Mountain, where she paid $1,452.58 in cash for two assault weapons. Guidelines by federal gun regulators and the National Shooting Sports Foundation say that straw purchases often involve two people entering the store together, the purchase of multiple firearms in one transaction and payment in cash. The suit argues that Gander Mountain ignored or missed all those signs.

Will a Gun Retailer Get Away With Negligence? - NYTimes.com

#2 ·
Will they "get away with negligence?" Thankfully we have the omniscient NYT to pre-determine guilt rather than that quaint, outdated system based on the presumption of innocence until guilt is proven. Thanks Gray Lady for continuing to be a mouthpiece for the left.

#6 ·
So anytime two people go to buy guns together, the sale should be refused? Because no one likes to get advice from a more experienced friend, right? And paying cash? How else do you hide how much you spent from your wife?
I had to like your post just for this. :cheers:

#5 ·
...AND

when is someone going to tie-up some Brady Funds with a lawsuit involving "The Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence" making it hard for them to get a self defense weapon and has lost a family member because of it!

#7 ·
So I guess the next time a drunk driver kills someone in a car accident that the car dealership and grocery store should be ready to defend themselves in court.

#8 ·
They actually pull that crap with bars.

Consenting aduld made a choice with his own life? Better put the blame on someone else.

#11 ·
Two people walk into a gun store and one of them buys 2 guns. hmmm.. The background check specifically asks if the guns are for you or another person. Minus hearing the two individuals discussing how one of the guns is for the other person, I don't see how the store has a responsibility or would have insight to believe it was a straw purchase. That being said, if the 2 were talking and a salesperson overheard them say something that was obvious the purchase was for the 2nd person, then I can see validity to the case.. Simply because 2 people walk in and one of them buys 2 guns.. nope.. no case here..

Now, watch.. regardless of how the case ends, the anti gunners pushing to limit the number of gun purchases per month will be back in force... IF WE LIMIT PURCHASES TO ONE GUN A MONTH, THIS WOULDNT HAVE HAPPENED>.....

#12 ·
Same kind of suit against Gander already went down in flames here in NY. Family of one of the victims of the ACA Shootings sued Gander Mtn. over the LEGALLY bought guns used in that massacre. This turd of suit isn't going anywhere.

#18 ·
All these legal fees to defend the company because a judge won't toss this in the trash. I wonder if Gander will have to raise their prices to cover the costs.

"One thing is already clear. Firearms dealers are gatekeepers to prevent criminals from acquiring guns."

What a load of manure. Like hell they are.

#17 ·
Gander Mountain should've known, huh. I guess the Thought Police will be out in force from here on out.

#19 ·
this is nothing more than another front for the left to attack from. discourage stores from selling firearms period. when it all boils down to it, a company is focused on its bottom line.

if the profit from gun sales is less than fighting lawsuits and settlements they will stop selling guns, or if the impact of these lawsuit is so great that its not worth the trouble, they may stop selling guns in specific states, etc...

just imagine if it was a small mom and pop gun shop that these leeches were suing.. it would put them out of business regardless of right or wrong.

#20 ·
This is why I gave up reading the NY times years ago. The God**** headline says it all. Gander mountain is simply assumed to be negligent, and all right thinking people should just go along. Judgemental, condescending, smug and biased. I used to read that piece of kotex years ago when I considered it slightly left of center. Now it is nothing more than bias reinforcement sheet for the liberal crowd. I dearly hope that paper goes out of business soon.

#21 ·
While their prices aren't the best, I still like shopping at Gander mountain ever since they put up billboards that claim they are NY state's largest gun retailer. There is one as you head into downtown Rochester. That is a big FU to the current administration. Gotta love the attitude.

#22 ·
Well when I go home and take the kid into the store and ask which one you want then pay for it and she fills out the paperwork for her gun (which I pay for) I wonder what they will say.

#25 ·
Baseless lawsuit that's nothing more than advertising for the cause! They will not win and will then be responsible for legal costs... Which is good!

Can a car dealer be responsible for DWI's? How about auto manufacturers be responsible for speeding tickets?

Absolutely ridiculously moronic mental midgets who dream up these lawsuits...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.