i didnt know we had hog season in ny.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Just need a small game license.

·
Registered
91 Posts
i didnt know that, i guess i should get my small game license before i go upstate to visit family just in case

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have seen all sorts of hogs in Broome. You give me a few beers and that is when I seem to bag most of my hogs:D. In all actuality I have heard of some in Onadoga county. But nothing around here yet.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
They were pretty clustered in the Scott/Homer area and I know a few guys who got one.

The DEC has been working hard to wipe them right out and people actually targeting them caused them to spread out. I haven't seen any in my area yet, but I am ready if one runs in front of me.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Oh, hunting. I thought we were gonna talk about how AWESOME Tim Allen was in that movie that got robbed of an Academy Award for BEST MOVIE EVER!

·
Registered
91 Posts
if it get crazy up that way, im game to take a drive and help rid the problem

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
There will be no season for these things. Intrusive and destructive animal so no need to "manage or control" their population... total erradication is what the DEC wants. My Sister and her Husband work for DEC and they want them out of the state but noone seems to have a 100% guaranteed way to stop them from coming and staying. I guess they reproduce very quickly so this could be a real problem for farmers in more ways than just "rooting" a field. My Sister had said these pigs also eat other animals as in calves and other livestock?? Is that true?

·
Registered
235 Posts
A farmer shot a few hogs in Sullivan County. They escaped from a preserve in Bethel. All you need is a small game license, no limit.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
There will be no season for these things. Intrusive and destructive animal so no need to "manage or control" their population... total erradication is what the DEC wants. My Sister and her Husband work for DEC and they want them out of the state but noone seems to have a 100% guaranteed way to stop them from coming and staying. I guess they reproduce very quickly so this could be a real problem for farmers in more ways than just "rooting" a field. My Sister had said these pigs also eat other animals as in calves and other livestock?? Is that true?
Been doing a bit of research, and my understanding is they will eat anything they can get in their mouths. They also can carry a lot of disease. Haven't been any sightings in the WNY area in a few years. I would love to go out and dispatch a few, keep one, donate the rest to the city mission.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Been doing a bit of research, and my understanding is they will eat anything they can get in their mouths. They also can carry a lot of disease. Haven't been any sightings in the WNY area in a few years. I would love to go out and dispatch a few, keep one, donate the rest to the city mission.
I know there is no season for them, shoot on sight. I was talking about hunting season in general. I'd like to target one. Tim you hang with the wrong crowd.LOL

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
They can be very aggressive be careful out there. I have seen them on both sides of Skaneateles lake...all they would have to do is put a bounty on them. A bounty would get more of us out there...personally "I don't need no stinking bounty" I kill pigs for free.

·
Banned
583 Posts
They can be very aggressive be careful out there.
True, and yes they attack ANYTHING. Few years back 7 Russian Boars came down along mud creek area along Rt 64, route 20A, along Bristol NY, Honeoye NY..... 3 of the 7 had been shot, not sure on the others. They attacked horses, dogs, and people. I'm trying to find that post article. But I found this one from Canandaigua NY, I use to work for this Newspaper. Article is two pages click on bottom 1 - 2
NY seeks to stop wild hogs, may ban captive hunts - Canandaigua, NY - MPNnow

·
Super Moderator
3,227 Posts
Here's a link from Cornell U. about the hogs and where they are located.

NYIS

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
The boars will actually eat the newborn piglets to trigger the sow to go into heat again.

I went on a hunt down in Tioga, PA, and our guide said they'll even eat the gut piles of the boars we shot.

·
Registered
387 Posts
The problem with shooting at the feral pigs is most folks can't get the whole herd. That causes the herd to disperse and then colonize new locations, spreading the problem out. Trapping is more effective at getting a larger percentage of the herd, and is not as disruptive to the herd as shooting. I wish we could use suppressors, as are used down south, to minimize the dispersal effect.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts