New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh baby! I'm going hunting this summer! BBQ pig roasts, yummy!

Feral pigs in CNY : News : CNYCentral.com

News report copied and pasted:

In the hills, forests, swamps and farmland of Central New York, a new menace has found a home. They go by a number of names: feral pigs, wild hogs and boars. DEC Region 7 Wildlife Director Marie Kautz is becoming very concerned. "Now we have populations that are self re-producing, very, very prolific and can triple their population in a year."

Feral pigs are considered an invasive species. Imported into North America 400 years ago, they're well established in the south. But lately their populations have exploded.

And now, they're in Central New York. Small populations of feral pigs have been found in Tompkins, Cortland, Cayuga and Onondaga Counties. (I live in Cortland County, the rest are all around me!)

The problem with feral hogs is they have a habit of wallowing and rutting up the land. In other parts of the country they cause up to 100-million dollars in crop damage each year. Plus they can be dangerous to people. So the DEC doesn't want to control their populations in New York, it wants to get rid of them entirely.

Kautz tells Action News, "We've got an opportunity now where we can do eradication and probably do it successfully. If we pass up this opportunity, we'll never have the chance again. We'll be in an endless control mode like in the Southern and Western States."

The DEC will begin trapping and removing feral pigs from Central New York. Hunters are allowed to shoot them on sight, anytime and in any number. Experts advise against that because those that survive will only scatter and establish themselves everywhere.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Hmmm... Maybe someone should introduce Smurfette to boar hunting so she can have all the bacon she wants.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Smurfette - if you decide to go "bacon hunting" with your new 20 gauge, I volunteer to be your backup with a "big boy" gun! :cool:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
These are a shoot on site animal. No season and no limit. THEY MUST BE ERADICATED before it gets out of hand.

I saw a hunting show on TV last night and they were hunting turkey and Pig in NY. I got sick to my stomach. These things must be killed and fast.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Experts advise against that because those that survive will only scatter and establish themselves everywhere.
Really? As if they aren't going to do that anyway.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Well, if we're nice to them, maybe they'll be nice to us. If we shoot them, clearly they'll understand that we can't get along together and they'll quickly overtake the state.

Ok, not really. I don't understand that mindset at all.
I'd think it'd be more difficult to survive a poor shot than no shot at all, but what do I know, I'm not an unaccredited expert.

·
Registered
418 Posts
You will never get rid of them. For the 2 or 3 groups they they found there are 20 or 30 groups they missed. In the amount of time it takes to kill off the 40 animals they know are here the other 400 they don't know about just turned into 5,000 more. There are also people that see the business opportunity of this and will go out of there way to keep the population growing with out any regard for the damage it does.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.