New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally had the wife fill out the rest of her app, got the photos and dropped off at the Warren Co. clerks office yesterday. My wifes sister told her that her lawyer told her to put "for all legal activities" as her reason to want a permit. The clerk was telling my wife to put hunting and target because that is what he gives, I insisted that she put what her sister said. The clerk was rambling about what the judge does and I said that he will be retiring next year and we will have a new judge so writing target and hunting was not the best option. So that issue went away and the clerk said that if my wife wanted to buy a handgun to bring the receipt and they will put it on the permit before she picks it up. So this is where it gets interesting. I said that I heard my wife can add my guns to her permit. She asked if I had a Warren Co. permit, I said no, I have a Saratoga Co. permit but live in Warren Co. She told me I needed to transfer the permit to Warren. I told her that I tried that and the judge added restrictions so no, I don't want to do that. She said, "I don't think the judge will allow that". "allow what?" I asked. She doesn't think the judge will allow me to have a Saratoga Co permit if I live in Warren Co. I told her that I was allowed to do so by Saratoga Co. and that Judge Hall has no jurisdiction over my permit. After we left my wife mention that I just opened a can of worms. I don't think so. I was polite and to the point and did not offer my opinion of the judge. If he were to offer me an unrestricted permit I wouldn't take it. I don't trust him, and I don't know what the new judge will offer. The new Saratoga Co judge has not added restrictions to my permit when I amended it so I am good for 9 more years there. And I still don't know if my wife can put my guns on her permit!

·
Registered
51 Posts
You have to write a note saying that your wife can list your guns on her permit. If I remember correctly you have to get the note notarized and include a copy of your permit. The best way is to copy your license (both sides) on the upper left corner of a piece of paper, write the note on the same paper, and get the whole thing notarized. Your wife may also have to get a note notarized saying that she is accepting the listing of your guns on her permit. It sucks about moving counties. My understanding is that you have to notifiy the pistol permit department in your county within 10 days of moving. I don't know about getting the whole license transferred to another county. I wouldn't be surprised if its the truth though. This may be a problem if you go to do the listing as it will direct attention to the fact that your license was not issued in Warren co. It might be better to just have her buy her own gun. NY sucks.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dropped off on 7/13 and Sunday she got a call from one reference who got his questionaire in the mail already, so did the others as of yesterday. I'm very impressed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
living in one county and having your permit administered in another county is nothing new. I moved my restricted permit from Erie to Wayne when I Moved there. Wayne took off the restrictions. I then moved to Monroe county, and when I went to do the address change I specifically asked if I had to move it to Monroe, I was told no, I did not have to. But if I needed to do any changes I had to go back to Wayne - no big deal, I'm 30 minutes away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts