New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am spending my day trying to finish work on my 20.5" Saiga-nov project.

I cut-off the old front sight base and was putting on the new Bulgarian 24mm threaded front sight base I got from KVar. In the midst of heating and pounding the sucker on with a 20 lb. sledge I broke the TAPCO Saiga hand guard. The part that inserts into the receiver snapped right in half...

It seems once again I was let down by CheapCo...

The worse part is at no time was anything touching the hand guard, it broke merely under the stresses of beating on the front sight base. I am assuming any flexing of the barrel during that process would be similar to that of the gun firing.

Perhaps these just aren't a good product on the 20.5" Saiga barrels.

This has certainly become an expensive project - the only saving grace is that someone already wants to buy this off of me but the agreed to price after this little escapade leaves me about even with what I have put into this, without considering the time that went into this project...

Live and learn ;)

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
I cut-off the old front sight base and was putting on the new Bulgarian 24mm threaded front sight base I got from KVar. In the midst of heating and pounding the sucker on with a 20 lb. sledge I broke the TAPCO Saiga hand guard. The part that inserts into the receiver snapped right in half...

It seems once again I was let down by CheapCo...
Dude....are you working on the railroad?:wacko:

·
Registered
110 Posts
May not be what you are putting on but how you are putting it on as above.

I dont think anything would hold up to a 20 lb sledge.

Nope, I just tried to mount a scope with one and it was a $2000.00 night scope and a 400.00 mount.

Destroyed it

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Sprout, YUP, we gotta get you enrolled in those anger management classes again! :p

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Considering that a front sight base is usually pressed on with a 2-4 ton press I don't think the sledge was overkill. I worked slowly up to that, started with a 28 oz. dead-blow, then a 5 lb. mini sledge, then the mother-of-all-sledges.

Try putting one on, its fun, seriously!

I have done much worse with other furniture, namely KVAR, and it withstood the abuse and punishment.

Note the important part where NOTHING was touching the furniture, it just snapped off like a piece of cheap crap! And I was just letting the weight of the hammer do the work, as if there is any other way to hold a rifle with one hand and tap in a front sight base at the same time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts