New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have to renew online and upload all the documents and forms. It's like a new gun license application all over again - 17 screens of questions and forms to upload. They have all of this information already from when they approved the license. Why do they need this stuff all over again? A renewal for anything should not be just as long as the original application process. I even had to upload my license although I had to click on the license number in their system to start the renewal process. So much of this 17 screen process is redundant.

FYI
I never received notice by mail to renew. I had to contact the NYPD. Several people told me the renewal paperwork has always been sent late. It's not a new problem.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Once they went online all information has to put in as if it is a new application.
i did mine in 2018.
Had a few hiccups but the PAA e mailed me and got it straightened out.
Stay with it.
All the forms can be downloaded from the website.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Honestly cant tell what is worse - online or in-person. I did my original permit in person... but by time I had to renew it was online, and buggy - which meant I had to then contact them (hahaha) to get it straightened out, THEN re-apply. Everything was late, permit expired and of course calling 1PP they said "don't worry about it buddy" but the second time around a lot of the info was pre-populated and was so much easier.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Got my renewed last year, like everyone else has said, the whole process was designed to discourage you from renewing or contemplating moving to some where else. But, I gotta say this, the few times that I have problems and questions with the process, they replied back to me through email with almost no delay.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry to hijack this thread, but it caught my attention. Do you need to get reference letters all over again? Also, do you need to re-verify your employment again (letter or payroll stub)?
Just wondering what to expect come time for renewal

·
Registered
274 Posts
Sorry to hijack this thread, but it caught my attention. Do you need to get reference letters all over again? Also, do you need to re-verify your employment again (letter or payroll stub)?
Just wondering what to expect come time for renewal
No, I just had to confirm my employer name / location in the form - no need for new ref letters

·
Registered
19 Posts
It takes several months and since mine didn't come in on time I was very concerned. They told me to just keep my guns locked up at my Apt and that I would be fine. Still it is kind of ridiculous, they know they won't get you your approval on time but still don't permit you to apply for it until just before it expires. Not sure if it's purposeful or if they just don't care. This is from my previous post on this subject...

"Just wanted to follow up here. I received my new permit in October, 7 months after I applied for my renewal."

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have to renew online and upload all the documents and forms. It's like a new gun license application all over again - 17 screens of questions and forms to upload. They have all of this information already from when they approved the license. Why do they need this stuff all over again? A renewal for anything should not be just as long as the original application process. I even had to upload my license although I had to click on the license number in their system to start the renewal process. So much of this 17 screen process is redundant.

FYI
I never received notice by mail to renew. I had to contact the NYPD. Several people told me the renewal paperwork has always been sent late. It's not a new problem.

Hello, I've been trying to download the required documents, tried PDF and Jpg but they will download. Any tips?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Gotta love PA, one form for the entire state, no prints or additional documents needed, except your DL and 2 references. Oh and it’s $20 bucks, takes about 2 weeks normally in most counties. Have an unrestricted license from out of state…no problem, you can get a LTCF too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
wow, new to the nyc permit thing. still waiting on mine and the wifes. its been over 1 year now. didnt even know the permit expires and you had to renew it. btw, how long are the permits good for till you have to renew?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Whoooo boy: Just started the clock on my renewal, which will expire in 60 days. NYPD says 18-20 WEEKS! While the overall process is "easier" ( i think this is the 2nd renewal I did with the portal) it's still janky at best. Between COVID and the huge shakeup in licensing a few years ago I'm not shocked but wow, 4 months for a renewal is crazy. Fees at least stayed the same as far as I can tell

1 - 19 of 19 Posts