New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several rifles including a 7mm mag, 270 mag, and 308 but i would have to say when going out the 308 is my least favorite rifle. I think my 7mm and 270 fly faster flatter and have more knock down power. Maybe im wrong but i bought the 308 reading how its so popular and do not really care for it or understand why everyone likes it so much

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Military cartridge, many gun models chambered in it, can do everything from varmints to moose, easy to find ammo (normally).

I have always liked mt 308s for accuracy shooting, in the Army I was a door gunner on Blackhawks and Huey's (tells you how old I am) and theM-60 was my first assigned weapon. The ability to hit targets at 1200 meters from the air was always pretty cool In my mind maybe that is why I stuck with the 308. I have never owned any of the 270s, 280s, 243s so maybe I don't know what I am missing.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I have several rifles including a 7mm mag, 270 mag, and 308 but i would have to say when going out the 308 is my least favorite rifle. I think my 7mm and 270 fly faster flatter and have more knock down power. Maybe im wrong but i bought the 308 reading how its so popular and do not really care for it or understand why everyone likes it so much
A quick summary:

Popularity and affordability (cartridge in service)
Short action with ready to run short action systems from bolt or autoloaders and preban magazine options.
Extreme Accuracy and as good or better as any other.
Consistency of ammunition
Amazing bullet department with choices for anything you need and also budget friendly match grade value packs.
Surplus for practice at lower cost.
etc...

If you like flat shooting try a palma type of load in the 308winchester. you might be surprised.
There are also other cartriges that shoot even flatter and reach further than the 7mm and the 270 but also come with a price tag and trade offs just like those you mention.
Shoot what you enjoy shooting and have fun but there are very good reasons for people to like the 308w too.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Thats what people keep saying,but im not drinking the Cool-Aid!!!!
I agree with varmint. They are not exactly the same but for all practical purposes they are. Look at the superformance loads from hornady for example. The spreads are very close to what they advertise in the 308.
Just pick up your evil for what you really honestly need.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Well you must be just shooting all little deer,there is big/steroid driven NY buck here and need full/maximum power for them....
Despite all controversies there is no animal walking in this continent that cannot be taken cleanly and swiftly with a good 308w. hunting round.
One needs to be aware of the round limitations and range but specially ANY deer will collapse to its knees even beyond 300 yards unless you hit it
in the buttocks.

If you keep your mind open you might find out there is some pretty tough medication in 308 winchester no matter how much crack cocaine the deer took that day.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
at the peak of the 30-06's use as a competition cartridge...the 7.62 NATO defeated it and the score rings were reduced... ooops wrong thread.....I apologize

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
The 30.06 is a nice option too. Very popular overseas due to restrictions of service cartriges for civilian/hunting use. Should folks overseas had access to the 308w for hunting there is no doubt it would be very popular as it is here and other places.
Even the 300 savage parent of the 308 winchester gives a nice all around hunting option for a tad more "sensible" shooting that can be also easily trimmed and formed from the same child 308w spent brass.
Just look at the bullet choices and the ballistics charts and there one can also find the answer why these offerings are so popular.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Well you must be just shooting all little deer,there is big/steroid driven NY buck here and need full/maximum power for them....
ok ill shoot one with a .308 you shoot one with a 30-06... then we will compare and see which one is more dead

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
ok ill shoot one with a .308 you shoot one with a 30-06... then we will compare and see which one is more dead
How about just comparing holes,but remember you have to be able to shoot a big buck first....I am telling ya people try to use 243 calibers on these bucks here and they just bounce off there shoulders!!!!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Shot placement: no matter what caliber you use. 30-06 and .308NATO are so close it is irrelavent. .308 permits a slightly shorter bolt stroke (action). I don't see any significant difference.

·
Registered
530 Posts
To me basically the same.... The navy even sleeved some Garands in the 60's so they could use 308 in them. They should the same bullet and unless you want to go over 180 gr in bullet weight are them same to me....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts