New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
1,111 Posts
I don't think is just the .308s, but all firearms. With everyone in a up roar about zombies/end of the world/election, people are snagging anything the can get their hands on. I'm watching tons of orders of steel coming into my company from all sorts of firearms companies just to keep up with the demand.

· Registered
808 Posts
KBurdo is on the money. Everyone is stocking up because they are worried.

The .308 is a heavily used/common round that is easily found at most places that sell ammo. I myself recently got a FNH FNAR .308 rifle myself. So far I'm very pleased with it, and it was much cheaper than an equivalent .308 chambered AR gun (for the gun itself, not the ammo).

NYS recently changed hunting rules so a .223/.556 can be used for hunting, BUT it used to be that you had to use a 7mm or larger round for Medium Game like Deer. I wanted the additional knock down power the .308 had, and the additional range. So a .308 chambered gun was my obvious choice.

All I need now is some .308 Carbide Dies and reloading components and I can shoot it more economically.

· Registered
1,758 Posts
Dude, I can't understand why anyone would not own at least two 308s!

· Registered
710 Posts
I just got my first 308 a couple months ago and have been reloading to keep my stock up while keeping expenditures low. I now have a gun for far away, mid to close range, and super duper close range. The only thing I'm lacking is a sling for my AR and a super duper long range rifle.

· Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I'm seeing more people wanting .308's in the past 3 months and I do not understand why. Can someone clue me in?

James
You mean on this site?

Maybe because there are posts about f-class matches and more discussion in the long range precision section?

· Registered
4,955 Posts
Love my .308 Rem 770 (bought it here at NYF from another forum member). Ammo is cheap, accurate, and the barrels are supposed to last a long time. No complaints. Will be used for deer hunting later this year.

· Registered
2,689 Posts
I can share my own story. I wanted a medium caliber rifle for target shooting past what my .22 can do. Also good thing to have if/when SGR (stuff gets real). I was basically choosing between 30-06 and .308, with some other potential choices further down the list (7mm Mag, .270, etc). I chose .308 because my research turned up that it had very similar performance to 30-06 in a smaller case, I preferred the short action, and it is a NATO round. I also like the potential to have a semi-automatic .308 in the future which shares ammo with my long range bolt action rig. That flexibility is what ultimately led me to .308.

· Registered
2,222 Posts
I believe a lot of it is the larger quantity of people out there obtaining their first firearms or getting back into firearms. You're just by default going to have a larger group of folks buying the common calibers. You see a huge increase in the .223/5.56 purchases and .308 purchases

· Registered
11,402 Posts
The venerable 308 Winchester doesn't need any introductions. It has always been there. Like any service cartridge it is very popular, plentiful and this is specially reliable and consistent demonstrated through the years. I can think of very few things the 308w cannot do so that is why it has always been popular and will continue to be popular. Even an AK based platform shoots way better with it than the original Russian offerings.
Popular folks shoot less vs. lighter cartridges because of the cost / round but still a much better value than many other options out there.
Surplus deals are not as good as they used to be but sometimes you still get some nice bulk value packs.

· Formerly SRV1
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You mean on this site?

Maybe because there are posts about f-class matches and more discussion in the long range precision section?
Maybe. When I bought my 308 from a member here back in the fall, barely anyone talked about the 308 and very few in the for sale section. Now it seems everyone wants a 308. Heck I have a hard time finding cheaper ammo for it. WalMart does not carry it and some of my LGS do not carry it. I know the round has been around for a long time but it seems more people are looking into the 308 again.

James

· Registered
8,342 Posts
Maybe. When I bought my 308 from a member here back in the fall, barely anyone talked about the 308 and very few in the for sale section. Now it seems everyone wants a 308. Heck I have a hard time finding cheaper ammo for it. WalMart does not carry it and some of my LGS do not carry it. I know the round has been around for a long time but it seems more people are looking into the 308 again.

James
Dicks was completely sold out of .308 ammo yesterday.

· Registered
43 Posts
Me personaly. I just started prepping to purchase my first gun about a year ago. At first I wanted a Benelli m4 super90 but then I watched Gran Torino and was introduced to the M1 Garand and thats when my intrest in rifles began especially since I could relate with my father having a M1 Carbine for a long time now.

After awhile I went through a bit of a AR phase but relized that with what it would cost to put together a reliable, well built AR, I could purchase a M1-A that has better accuracy over distance, more stopping power over distance, can withstand abuse (although I baby it), is super reliable and easy to take care of. Plus I love the walnut stock and semi auto is the tits.

Eventually I will build a AR but for now, for my first line of defence, I wanted the old school Springfield M1-A.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
Grammer Nazi has something to say:

"It is 'All of a sudden', not 'All of the sudden.'"

Grammer Nazi has spoken. xD

· Registered
1,672 Posts
Iraq and Afghanistan made it popular. Some of our boys found a niche for it due to distances or some other factors, whatever, they found a use for it.
This makes it back to American gun rags which initiates the giant circle jerk of idiocy. 308 cures AIDS, 308 is the only round that works on insurgents, 308 blows up bunkers, blah blah blah.
Monkey see monkey do.

· Registered
1,504 Posts
My local gun shop is selling guns and ammo like crazy, the ar's and ak's don't sit on the shelves for more than a few days. I personally purchased a .308 because I wanted a gun cheaper to shoot and more powerful than the 22-250 and the .308 fit my needs.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.