New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Re: Rockland wait time ?

Not sure for Rockland, but some counties are taking 9-10 months while others are taking 1-2 months.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Rockland wait time ?

I wish some one could tell me an approximate wait time. This is like knowing your wife is pregnant but not knowing when she is going to give birth....

I'm guessing it's going to be a LOOOOOONG time. If I happen to get it before my birthday in March, I would be very very surprised.

Judging by how the finger print appointments in march~april time frame was all booked up with one month wait. I say it's going to be at least a 10 month wait.

I'm hoping that since they had soooo any applications lately, they'll say **** with it, and just process it really really quick. ....errr...probably not...but one can wish.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
References...

My friends that were used as references just got some letters in the mail from the county sheriffs !!

I have to say that was faster than expected.... Approximately one month from submission of the application.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ken,

I too live in Rockland, been here for about 30 Years. When I applied the wait was approv. 5 months.

Where in Rockland are you, I belong to the indoor range in Pearl River and once you get your license, I can bring you in as a guest.

Let men know what you're up to.

Bruce

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Bruce,

I'm about 10 min West of Pearl River.

I'm assuming that you are talking about Pearl River Gun club. I was looking to visit that club after seeing a table at the outdoor show in Rockland Comm. college. So, I would be very keen on taking you up on your offer.

I'll be sure to email you or Private Message you, when I get my license....

ken

P.S. sent you a PM.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My regular update on my status.

I went to the safety course offered by the sheriff. about 50 people there.

Surprising thing for me was that there were more female than I thought there would be. I believe we had about 7 women there. So that is more than 10%...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Ken,

I too live in Rockland, been here for about 30 Years. When I applied the wait was approv. 5 months.

Where in Rockland are you, I belong to the indoor range in Pearl River and once you get your license, I can bring you in as a guest.

Let men know what you're up to.

Bruce
Does John Perkins still teach there?
Is that the old Serious Sportmans mans range?
I haven't been there in nearly 20 years.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Does John Perkins still teach there?
Is that the old Serious Sportmans mans range?
I haven't been there in nearly 20 years.
Matthew,

Yup, the range changed hands, it's now called "The Firing Line". As to John Perkins, never heard the name, but it doesn't mean anything, I'll ask then next time I'm there.

Bruce

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update and some whining ...

Just got a letter from the rockland permit office. Letter indicates that I need to supply 3 more rockland county residents as a reference !! This after 5 month of waiting.

When I submitted the application in Sept., the pistol clerk indicated that they now needed rockland county resident as references and this was a new requirement. I in turn indicated that my application did not indicate that since I picked up a older version slightly less than 6 month ago. Since, rockland also forces any applications to be submitted within 6 month, I told her that I should qualify under the old rules and she agreed.

Well, I guess the judge didn't agree. That's just freakin great. They shouldn't be able to willy-nilly a rule change like that on us.

I think I have to use my neighbors as references. I'm a Bergen county transfer, who still works in NJ and my house is 1 block from NJ. I really don't know any one in Rockland except my neighbors. Only problem is, I really wanted to keep my gun ownership under wraps to my neighbors

At this point, I'm re-thinking this handgun ownership. With all of the restrictions and Rockland not issuing full carry, it's almost not worth it for me.

·
Registered
308 Posts
You should not give up, think hard about who you can use. I would be shocked if they made you use your neighbors, I know it is tough approaching people to ask unless they are like minded.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah..that's the thing. I have to first find out how they feel about guns at all, before I even ask....

But, I really don't know any one else, so I guess I'll be talking to my neighbors soon. I seriously don't know any one else.

Thanks for the encouragement.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You should not give up, think hard about who you can use. I would be shocked if they made you use your neighbors, I know it is tough approaching people to ask unless they are like minded.
Not only this, but if I remember correctly your reference have to know you for a minimum of 2 yrs. They also can not be related to you or each other. So even if your neighbors are willing to vouch for you, it would still require you to know them either before you moved to the County or have to wait at least two years before you can even apply.

This is a deliberate attempt to make the license unattainable by so many people even those who are not recent transplants. There is no other explanation for it.

Only people who live in the Great County of Rockland can be a good judge of character and the ability to be honest!?? That is INSANE!!!

Now to my own recent experience with this county:

I submitted my application the end of June 2009, and took my safety course shortly thereafter. My references where contacted about a month later and everything seemed to be going smoothly. About September or so I got a call from the Pistol Clerks Office and was informed that the judges have changed there requirements and all applicants must have all four references reside in the County of Rockland. Since only two of my references where I was given a phone number of a person at the County Sheriff and told to call her and she would explain what had to be done.

I called as soon as I hung up with the Clerk explained to her what I was just told. She responded "that's ridiculous!" "I will call them and tell them they have to send your application to the judge, don't worry about it" And so I didn't (yea right). After about 2 months and not hearing anything I went in to inquire as to the status of my application. The lady clicks around on the computer and then responds. It's not back from the Sheriff's Office yet. I explained to her that was imposable and why. She then (still making eye contact with me) reached over to a desk drawer and instantly pulled out my application as if she knew where it was all along. She then said "we don't have proof of you taking the safety course" I told her that was also imposable and only when I threatened to call the Lieutenant who gave the coarse (a very nice guy who dose the coarse on his own time) did she make any effort to find it. She then reluctantly sent the application to the judge stating that it will likely be denied because of the references.

A few weeks later it was approved. While I was expecting a restriction, Rockland County makes it very confusing. It states LICENSE TO CARRY PISTOL IS HEREBY GRANTED above the picture. Below the picture it states SPORTSMAN/RESIDENCE. On the back it states THIS LICENSE IS ISSUED WITH THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS 1. It is revocable at any time. 2. If issued outside New York City, not valid to carry a weapon in New York City unless approved by the police commissioner of that city. So if you did not know what "SPORTSMAN/RESIDENCE" meant You would assume you hade a Full Carry due to the fact that it says your License to Carry was Granted and only lists the above mentioned conditions.

When I requested of the Clerk to please provide the guidelines on the restrictions so I may follow them, she responded "we don't put anything like that out" I then explained that since the restrictions are administrative and are applied on a county by county basis the Justices must publish guidelines if they expect to have the licensees follow them! "Well we don't have anything like that." I told her I would then use the guidelines published by other counties unless I am informed by this office otherwise "OK have a good day".

In conclusion, kennjen don't let them push you around, insist on it going up to the judge since your application predates these new requirements. Then if the Judge denies it on that basis there is not much you can do short of hiring a lawyer. Also, go in the morning if you can the lady in the AM is much more pleasant and helpful then the one in the afternoon.

Sorry for rambling and GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wow I'm really surprised about all the gripe here for a pistol permit. First let me start off there is plenty here I like to complain about including right now I'm going on one month waiting to hear from my local Rockland judge to answer my CCW request.

But as far as my Sportsman/Residence pistol permit I dropped off my application May 18th, 2009 took my class with sheriff dept. June 25th, 2009 and was issued my pistol permit July 14th, 2009. Easy as pie.

My wife is going this week to go throught with her pistol permit and is going to try and get her CCW here in Rockland. We live in New City and have a vacation residence in South Carolina and are currently working on our non-residence CCW there and PA. Also what alot of people are not aware of is Judge Alfieri is no longer a judge here and he was the thorn in the pistol permit process and was against all CCWs no matter what. Now there is a more CCW friendly judge in place but obviously takes his time as I can tell.

-Sam

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Ooops...didn't see the 2 last replies till now..

Thanks for the encouragements !! I did follow up and use my neighbors as references. Some good news here. My neighbors are mostly pro-firearm. One expressed concerns about their kids, but that's normal. The other one is actually a shooter himself. YAY.

I talked to them since then and it sounds as if all of my process is done except these 3 references. So, provided these neighbors return my reference quick...I suspect my permit in like a month...

Few comments ...

Antique Wheels:

I don't know how they can arbitrary change the requirements for references and make us chase our own tails.

And if they are going to make some rules, tell us what the heck that is damn it !

P.S. I assume you have classic cars....what do you have....?

harleyhunter :

~~I dropped off my application May 18th, 2009 took my class with sheriff dept.
~~ June 25th, 2009 and was issued my pistol permit July 14th, 2009

2 MONTH !! that's great. Approximately 6 month for me just to get notified that I need 3 additional references seems outrageous now.

BTW, I knew about the new judge. Except that I have no info about him. Is it well documented that he is Pro-firearms ? Do you have any source to substantiate this ? (not to challenge you, I just want to read it for myself) Could this be the start of full CCW in rockland ? (Probably not, but one can hope)

Ken.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good news ...I checked with the clerk and she thinks I'll get my permit in about a week.... It's been sitting on judge's desk since early may.

I need to get a gun now...

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wow...just for a new gun ? since april...that' puts a damper on things for sure... Hope you didn't miss some big gun sale because of it...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts