New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how county permit laws are set? For instance, who decides in Albany county if an amendment has to be signed by a judge or if it can be done in a matter of minutes by the clerks office, as is Rens. county?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While I appreciate your response, are you sure that's right? That would mean that some judges in Albany County sign their own amendments and others let the County Clerk take care of it. I was thinking that maybe the county legislature would make the decision on how amendments are done. If that were the case we could lobby our legislator to change it.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Here is my take on it. Legally every judge in every county is supposed to sign each amendment per NYS law. I think that some judges sign off on blank amendments and give them to the clerks to use when people want to add a pistol to their permit. Other judges want all the paperwork to go to them to sign off on. But I can tell you for sure its not county law as to whether or not they get done quick by clerks or take a while by having to go to a judge.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
While I appreciate your response, are you sure that's right? That would mean that some judges in Albany County sign their own amendments and others let the County Clerk take care of it. I was thinking that maybe the county legislature would make the decision on how amendments are done. If that were the case we could lobby our legislator to change it.
permits are state permits and state law. Counties are responsible for following the state law but each county interprets state law a little different while processing applications.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That makes sense, I just wonder why since they are state issued, the state doesn't make all counties do it the same way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts