New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of surprised there's not a boating thread on here since I've seen pictures of people out fishing, Talk of Gunner's deli and marina, etc.

Currently we have 2 jet ski's 94 Seadoo SPX and a 95 Kawasaki 700sx or something like that(kawi is my dad's)

Also my brother an I just picked up a 14' 1961 Starcraft that we're rebuilding to give to my dad as a surprise.
Here's a pic of how it started. I need to take some more pictures of it. Since I don't have any as it is right now.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I got a 1960 Wagemaker Empire Clipper 18' fiberglass hull / wood top boat with a 1964 Merc 650 engine. Got it cheap for $500 on Craigslist 5 years ago knowing I'd be sinking money into it. Converted the boat from a passenger runabout to a fishing boat of sorts. Had motor and lower unit rebuilt last year - runs like a champ... but the boat is either too heavy or I'm over-propped. Trailer - hate the trailer (1960 Gator) - don't think it's the right trailer for the boat, but does the job... just a bitch to get out of the water as I need 6" rollers to replace the ones on it - and good luck finding those. It's a decent river/canal boat, and the way I have it now - it's a stable fishing platform - but when you're out in the chop it's a rough ride with a flat bottom in the aft portion of the boat and the bow really doesn't cut into the waves that great making for a wet ride.

Only been out twice this year... mostly because the hoist behind my in-law's house finally bit the dust last season - and trailering is the worst part of boating in my opinion... almost not worth the hassle really. Thinking of selling it at the end of the season and getting something newer, lighter and easier to pull around next season... but we'll see.

Here's pictures from when I bought it to when I did restoration/conversion...
1960 18' Wagemaker Empire Clipper restoration - FiberGlassics® Forums - fiberglassics.com

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have a 98 16' starcraft. it does the job but I would like something bigger. I like to salmon fish and have it set-up with downriggers and all the goodies, it's just too tight. My equipment is worth more than my boat.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got a 1960 Wagemaker Empire Clipper 18' fiberglass hull / wood top boat with a 1964 Merc 650 engine. Got it cheap for $500 on Craigslist 5 years ago knowing I'd be sinking money into it. Converted the boat from a passenger runabout to a fishing boat of sorts. Had motor and lower unit rebuilt last year - runs like a champ... but the boat is either too heavy or I'm over-propped. Trailer - hate the trailer (1960 Gator) - don't think it's the right trailer for the boat, but does the job... just a bitch to get out of the water as I need 6" rollers to replace the ones on it - and good luck finding those. It's a decent river/canal boat, and the way I have it now - it's a stable fishing platform - but when you're out in the chop it's a rough ride with a flat bottom in the aft portion of the boat and the bow really doesn't cut into the waves that great making for a wet ride.

Only been out twice this year... mostly because the hoist behind my in-law's house finally bit the dust last season - and trailering is the worst part of boating in my opinion... almost not worth the hassle really. Thinking of selling it at the end of the season and getting something newer, lighter and easier to pull around next season... but we'll see.

Here's pictures from when I bought it to when I did restoration/conversion...
1960 18' Wagemaker Empire Clipper restoration - FiberGlassics® Forums - fiberglassics.com
Link isn't working for some reason.
We picked this one up for 125 with trailer and a ton of accessories.

Motor wasn't running and I was getting fed up with it so we also picked up a 65 evinrude 40hp "big twin" off craigslist running for 200. in total we have about 400 into it at most. All we really need left is paint and fiberglass plus 2 tires for the trailer.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Kind of surprised there's not a boating thread on here since I've seen pictures of people out fishing, Talk of Gunner's deli and marina, etc.
I have a 2001 Bass Tracker ProTeam 175 with a 50hp Merc. This week will be my first time out on it this year... not sure where the summer has gone?

Does my kayak count?? It is rigged for fishing and pretty sleek!
Heck yeah! Kayak fishing is a blast!

Not sure but you could be well on your way to a new house for the prices I heard they want for them!!!!!Hers one that might not have a bottom when they get done dragging it out LOL (just add beer)...

OHH NO! - YouTube
Jetster- I checked out the FireFish website, these boats are built like tanks! More than double the wall thickness compared to my boat's hull. Also a skin of UHMW plastic on the hull to help slide over all those rocks! They look like a ton of fun.

·
Registered
712 Posts
kids wanted to swim IN the lake and not at the beaches...so it was a pool or boat. I got the item with motor! Plus the thought of taking care of a pool. ( I should got the pool !!)

its a 1991 sunbird fishing boat with walk around cuddy. Bigger than a wanted ( but got the bother in law pricing). tons of room but limited on seating as a finish vessell. Still fun. Also it rained south of rochester so much yesterday for the first time in 3 weeks cuz I was going to go out boating for first time this season yesterday!!!

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Kayak.jpg

My Yacht

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
This is all that I can find of my boat for right now.
photo.jpg

1987 Fourwinns 190 Horizon. My father-in-law bought it brand new in '87. Motor's been rebuilt a couple times. First time was because of the dreaded seized write pin in the 160 motor (1/2 of a Ford 460...HUGE pistons). 2nd time was right after we "bought" it (hadn't given him any money for it yet, as he'd just bought a 23' Chapparel). Turns out the 2nd failure was due to the first failure. Cylinders were bored over-sized, and the pistons kept slapping the cylinders until one of the skirts finally let go. Ran great, but she had a wicked knock. 3rd time was because of a bad o-ring in the oil pick-up from the 2nd rebuild.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts