New York Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts
A couple good people on YouTube doing lessons. One guy I like for the most part is Marty Schwartz/GuitarJamz. Overall he does a decent job. ANother site is Jamplay.com. They're very technical in teaching theory and not into teching individual sounds.
I've taken lessons for 3 years but took a break in May. If funds improve I'll pick up again over the winter. At 50 I've never played anywhere but in my kitchen (better acoustics). Would like to find a local garage band where I can develop more, but I have no illusions of playing beyond that. Grew up with 70s & 80s rock, but my heart is in 90s Alt/Grunge bands.

Ah, but the ones that got away. The red SG in college that I couldn't scratch up the $100 for. The Koa Mockingbird my buddy said he'd sell for $250 but I waffled on and he decided to keep.

Still have a couple acoustics, the old '68 LP Deluxe Goldtop, my beater Korean mockingbird, and a Strat copy for the kids to use.

I don't have a picture right now but many years ago I got this rare Gibson that is a beautiful les paul custom in red color soft of transparent.
So it is red but you can see the grain through the red with nice white binding and the whole works.
These were limited, very rare. I don't play well but I love my guitar and how versatile they les pauls are.

I play a bit of everything.

Played bass in a metal band,

Drummed in a Hardcore/punk/grind band.

If i ever get proper equipment again i'd like to put together some kind of death metal band. You know, Stupid low tuning and breakdowns just for the sake of being heavy as ****.
My Bass rig was an LTD B-104, an Ampeg SVT.

My drums were a cluster**** of random pieces and cracked cymbals. Suited what i needed.

Acquired a "needs work" Dean Edge 09 bass guitar for FREE! It needed the A-string tuning machine and probably someone to clean up the electronics on it. It was a simple gloss black finish with scratches so I decided to give it a facelift with a vinyl wrap. (see photo) Bought a set of strings this morning so next I'm gonna try my hand at setting it up as per some YouTube videos for setting the string action and setting up the bridge and string length. Lemme know what cha think.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Smile Musical instrument Guitar Guitar accessory String instrument accessory

Decided on the matte finish laminate instead of the gloss finish.

and FUAC to y'all!

I picked up an acoustic guitar after high school. Never got very good and gave it away about 5 years later. It may have been the cold weather that got me itching for an indoor hobby so I picked up a squire bullet and fender mustang amp a few weeks ago on craigslist. Its been fun to play and what I knew before has been coming back. I love marty shwartz on you tube. He does a nice job showing you the chords and strumming patterns and how to spice it up for the more experienced. That is where I struggled.

Been playing since I was 10. Been teaching professionally for 12 years.
I've released a bunch of disks and was on a few tribute discs for a small record label.
I play a Strandberg Boden 8 guitar through an AXEFXII with a Mesa Boogie Simulcast 2:90.
My favorite genre to butcher is jazz/fusion. I grew up on Led Zeppelin, Yes, Jethro Tull.
Music and guitar are very much a part of my DNA at this point. I don't know what I'd do without it.

Wow! You could record albums with that gear! You know it is a breath of fresh air to talk about music instead of guns. My claim to fame is my 1968 Vincent Bell DanElectro bass. Hard to find now really great sound.
Nice setup!
I just got rid of all my recording gear and instruments.

How you triggering them drums.?
I made my own electronics also and was using various drum sample sets.

That is defiantly a nice rig. Lots of luck setting it up. As far as finish your there!
Acquired a "needs work" Dean Edge 09 bass guitar for FREE! It needed the A-string tuning machine and probably someone to clean up the electronics on it. It was a simple gloss black finish with scratches so I decided to give it a facelift with a vinyl wrap. (see photo) Bought a set of strings this morning so next I'm gonna try my hand at setting it up as per some YouTube videos for setting the string action and setting up the bridge and string length. Lemme know what cha think.
View attachment 39670

Decided on the matte finish laminate instead of the gloss finish.

and FUAC to y'all!

Nice setup!
I just got rid of all my recording gear and instruments.

How you triggering them drums.?
I made my own electronics also and was using various drum sample sets.
Cakepan drop in DIY triggers. It's just a foam cone trigger on top of an ajustable plate (conduit plate). I wired the piezo pickup to a 1/4" jack and viola.

No mods to the shells, they could become acoustics again.

And I will tell you what, they actually trigger better and play nicer than the stock gum rubber pads the roland came with.

Also this was hands down the most hilarious thing anyone has ever recorded with me.

They were serious btw. I told them to come back in a year. They insisted and had a friend come write a song for them. It was pretty insane.

https://db.tt/u6Ry6Wag

I played the guitar about 50 years ago...a couple years back a guy needed money and sold me his mint Peavey Wolfgang EVH Special guitar and Marshall MG50DXF Amp...been sitting in my closet since.

Getting the bug again from reading this post and was wondering if they make amp style headphones that I could plug into the guitar so I'm the only hearing the sound? Want to learn some Blues licks.

This thread is making me want to get back into it, I've played guitar on and off since I was a kid, was in a heavy metal band in high school, now just have one acoustic guitar that gets used maybe a half dozen times a year. I miss the cranking up the amp and rocking out on the electric.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.