New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
I'd vote on the Bushmaster XM-15E2S prolly.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
I would expect they are all pretty much the same at that price point. Don't know which one I'd pick, but I'd narrow it down to 5.56 chamber (that can shoot .223 as well) and if you're in NY make sure it is or can be made compliant: fixed or pinned stock, no flash hider; pinned and welded break or compensator and 16" barrel. Also if you by as parts (upper and lower separated) I believe you can save a lot of money on the tax stamp. I have an RRA configured similarly that was about that price point. It's a reliable gun so far. Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't own an AR platform, but I would go with a Bushmaster or a DPMS

edit- and @ cgrutt RRA I've heard so many good reviews about them -RRA- <3 i would take an entry tactical like right now

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
None.

I would save up and an extra $170 and get a stag.

Or buy a middy upper from psa and wait for one of their $49.00 lowers specials.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
Build your own. Althou, I have a Del TOn upper and its great quality and very accurate.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
But, it would still be a Smith.
No actually Smith does not make their own AR's from what I have been told. Nothing wrong with a Smith. I would put it up against some of the better Colt's. Never failed me once except for that Wolf ammo which it did not cycle.

James

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
that lower from psa says
Includes 1 D&H 30rd Magazine
how do i still get it in ny also does it come with the stock............
Make a note to not include the mag, or have it sent anyway to be converted or traded for a 10rd at the FFL where you have it delivered to have the stock pinned and do the transfer.

The listing says 'complete lower assembly', that would be including the stock, buffer, spring, FCG, all of it minus an upper receiver.

Received email, Cleveland PD going with custom Stag Arms model2 as their duty rifle.
Because they are getting them at a radical discount for the bulk purchase along with probably a LEO discount on top of that, not because they are a tier 1 bleeding edge ubersystem.
Not saying they are complete crap mind you, but such info must be taken with a pretty large grain of salt.

Look at RRA.
Everybody ooo'd and aaah'd when they got a small LEO contract somewhere, and suddenly every FFL in the land was trying to dump them off as the 'official gun of X department/swat unit/seal team/private contractor/certified instructor' or whoever else they could drop name on to boost margin.
Even gun rags were sucking thier dicks.
(most likely because revinue garnered by selling advertising space offers significantly more reward than actual truth in advertising to a rapidly dying form of media)

They have since proven themselves to be out of spec unreliable POS that most people who did thier research too late ended up selling to some kid looking for 'that SWAT gun brand' or relegating them to nothing more strenuous than holding a dedicated 22LR upper of any other brand out there.
Those who researched first didn't buy them to begin with.

(if it matters: issues have been primarily and fairly consistantly receiver holes that don't line up with uppers other than their own, and then not always, along with the possibility they may or may not have had fudged trigger and/or trigger and hammer pin holes among some less commonly noted other issues)

They only believeable good quality bulk purchase type infoblurb is related to the military.
If they are ****, its rectified or the supplier is dropped from contract, they buy in lots of thousands at a pop regularly and frequently, not sub~100 (or sub~50 for that matter) numbers once every 15 years or so.

If absolutely NOTHING else, they have an unmatchably huge sized sample base to gather info regarding quaility, reliability, durability, etc.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Not for nothing Tifosi, but we're talking about a $700 build here. For the money, IMO, the RRA provides a decent package. I know we've had the conversation before come back and talk to me after 15,000 rounds not 1,500, yada, yada, yada, but I still think dollar for dollar a entry level RRA will hold up to any of the ones mentioned in the OP's article. Admittedly, you can do better, but you also could do a lot worse. I was at the range a couple of weeks ago with my brother in law who was sighting in a new RRA with bull barrel and put 5 rounds into a 1" sticker at 100 yards. Pretty good IMO (as well as the half dozen or so people at the range who were asking him what he was shooting). JMO, that's all.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts