New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Bushnell (not sure of the model). It's worked well for 4 or 5 years, but it is starting to have problems. The rubber plug that goes over the hole that you feed the 9v DC plug through came out over the winter and the camera got some condensation in it. It stopped taking pictures, so I took it apart. After cleaning the contacts, and replacing some of the wiring from the contacts to the main board, it is now working. However, I'm not sure how well it will hold up and keep working for.

So... recommend some cameras. What brand/models have you personally used? Links would be great.

I need it to have:
still pictures
video
IR flash
40+ feet night photos
decent picture quality, but it doesn't have to be super great. My Bushnell was only 5MP, but it is/was fine.
use an SDHC card, because I have 4 or 5 of them

I don't need anything fancy like emailing/texting me the pictures, panoramic shots, etc. It does not need to have a DC plug (wall wart) port in it. Pretty much your basic camera.

Go!

·
Registered
850 Posts
I use a bushnell hd and I think a moultrie. I like the bushnell hd cause it has a screen to view the pictures but it's sometimes hard to make out fine detail. The moultrie has been good for me. I just bring a extra card and swap it out.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

My Bushnell has the color screen, but it is so small that you can't really make anything out. I end up swapping memory cards with it.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
From owning various brands of trail cams (Moultrie, Bushnell, and Primos), I tend to prefer the Moultrie trail cams. They're easy to set up and they're very reliable as far as the motion sensor is concerned. It's also useful seeing the weather info displayed -- moon phase, barometric pressure, and temp info is overlaid onto every photo or video (some of the lower-end Moultrie's may lack that feature though).

·
Registered
446 Posts
Had a Bushnell 6mp that I got from sportsmansguide about 6 yrs ago. After sending 2 back cause they didnt work the third finally lasted about 5 yrs and has just started crapping out. Will take 1 or 2 photos, then stop. last time I opened it, ants had made a nest in it. Just picked up a stealth cam cheap from SG just to get me through the season. I heard stealths dont have a great rep but for 50 bux shipped how bad could it be plus it takes the same SD card as my Bushy. Will set it up this weekend and let you know what I think.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Covert.... best cam I've used so far. Blows away the WGI that I have and most of the Moultrie's that we use at our cabin.

·
Super Moderator
3,236 Posts
I have a Bushnell Trophy. It's IR flash and I believe 8MP. It will run a full year on 8 AA batteries which is the best part. I had a Wild Game before this and it lasted one year and three months before crapping out. It went through 4 AA batteries every 10 days or so. Love my Trophy. All the shots on the trail cam thread that I have posted came from that camera.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts