New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Remington 700 that has a Badger steel 20moa base and i need rings. I currently have a 1inch tube scope with a 40mm lens. So i would either need a pair of rings that come with the 1in inserts or get a pair and buy the inserts. The inserts alone are like $36 dollars. I am going to upgrade to a 30mm scope in the future with most likely be a 50mm lens. Will both of these rings work with a 50mm lens also? So this is what i have narrowed it down to.

Option 1 $205
Rings- Badger Ordnance Maximized Scope 30mm Rings
Reducers- Badger Ordnance Scope Ring Reducer

Option 2 $210
Rings- Badger Ordnance Scope 30mm Rings
(these rings come with the reducers)

· Registered
1,841 Posts
Best way to figure it out is to figure out how much space you have to fit a ring and then go with the next largest ring up from there. Say the barrel is a little below the top of the receiver, and the rail is a little above, about .3" in total, combined (which can be accurately found by taking your receiver diameter and subtracting the thickest barrel diameter and dividing by two). And a 50mm objective is going to be about 2.2" outside diameter, or a 1.1" radius. So take the radius of the objective end of the scope, and subtract how far below the top of the rail you can go, and that's how tall of rings you'll need as an absolute minimum, about .8" or so. For this example, either of those ought to work, but the .866" would give you a little wiggle room for a slip-over lens cover. Figure out your own numbers and see what you come up with.

With the 20 MOA base, too, keep in mind that that's going to drop the objective end of the scope a hair, too, which can vary depending on length and how far forward your scope is mounted. Most factory tapers are faster than 20 MOA, though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.