New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Goodmorning, names Ryan and Im new to this forum. I'm in the market for a new rifle, initially I was going for a battle rifle but have recently switched gears and have decided that I want a .308 long range bolt gun instead. I realize that there are other platforms available but a Remington 700 variety is what I'm going with, that just leaves me with which model to decide upon.

Can you all help walk me through the decision making process and weigh the
pros and cons of the following weapons?

Milspec 5r, 24"and barrel, stainless, 5r rifling

700p 26"matte blued barrel, standard 1/12" rifling better
stock

700sps tactical 20"barrel matte blue

700sps-v same barreled action as 700p with lesser stock

I have them listed in highest to lowest price and would love some help in understanding barrel length and rifling patterns in the real world situations.

The end game is to restock the rifle into an upgraded chassis so it may be down to the decision of 20" vs 26" vs the 5R rifle.

Thanks for any and all help or input.

· Registered
1,841 Posts
I think you've just about answered your own question, there. If you're going to restock anyways, it's probably best to not get too fancy with the stock. If you're shooting long range, you'll probably want heavier bullets, so the 1 in 12" twist may be inadequate for some of the heavier bullets. If you're on a budget, though, the SPS would be a reasonable starting point, but if you can afford it, the 5R would be a pretty great start on an accurate rifle. I'm assuming you're looking at Remington #29663, which may be too light of a barrel contour for your use. Take a look at the #85200, which has a stainless 20" 5R barrel and an HS Precision stock, and you'll have a long-range platform ready to go once you add the required accessories.

· Head Fapper
1,219 Posts
I have the SPS Tactical AAC (20" 1:10" twist, threaded barrel) in an AICS 1.5 and I love it. Shoots sub-MOA all day long with even me shooting it.

· Registered
275 Posts
I picked up the Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD and love it. Got the AAC-SD over the SPS Tactical for the 1:10 twist and the threaded barrel. I dropped it in a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock (million times better than the provided stock, which fetched $50 on ebay). Shoots beautifully. Sub MOA all the time with 168 amax rounds. Very smooth action. By far my favorite bolt gun to shoot.

· Registered
48 Posts
I picked up the Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD and love it. Got the AAC-SD over the SPS Tactical for the 1:10 twist and the threaded barrel. I dropped it in a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock (million times better than the provided stock, which fetched $50 on ebay). Shoots beautifully. Sub MOA all the time with 168 amax rounds. Very smooth action. By far my favorite bolt gun to shoot.
That sounds like a good rig! Have you tried other ammo?

· Registered
710 Posts
I have the aac-sd with a HS Precision m24 stock. Constant sub moa, and I load my own rounds. I've had great luck with a huge variety from hornady to berger, from 165gr to 210gr. Pretty much everything shoots well out of this rifle. I recommend it to everybody! Price tag is good too—new ~$700. I think I grabbed mine at herb philipsons for $650.

· Registered
275 Posts
That sounds like a good rig! Have you tried other ammo?
I have shot many different loads with it, seems to like the heavier bullets better. Was around MOA with off the shelf 150gr ammo, but once I started shooting the heavier rounds, groups tightened up. The 168gr amax round has been great (especially reloaded from Freedom Munitions at a smaller price).

I have begun to start picking up reloading equipment to load for this caliber and will be working up some loads shortly. Going to be a lot different from pumping out 45acp on the progressive.

It is a great rig, bottom metal for detachable mags is the next step.

G

·
First off; Welcome to the forum.

Your initial post says that you’re “…in the market for a new rifle….”

Does this mean that you simply want to add a piece of hardware to your collection or does this imply that you’d like to create a “capability”?
If you’re just looking for another rifle, that’s great. Good luck.

If you’re actually laying the ground work for the development of a new “long-range capability” then that’s a different story.

The equipment requirements for real long-range capability in a tactical environment are of a higher order than those requirements for gear fired from the bench a few times each year for fun.

So, what’s it going to be?

· Registered
10,544 Posts
First off; Welcome to the forum.

Your initial post says that you're "…in the market for a new rifle…."

Does this mean that you simply want to add a piece of hardware to your collection or does this imply that you'd like to create a "capability"?
If you're just looking for another rifle, that's great. Good luck.

If you're actually laying the ground work for the development of a new "long-range capability" then that's a different story.

The equipment requirements for real long-range capability in a tactical environment are of a higher order than those requirements for gear fired from the bench a few times each year for fun.

So, what's it going to be?
Kev doesn't F around!

· Registered
2,913 Posts

· Registered
710 Posts
lol! I didnt even catch that; thought it was a 100 yard group! I think that particular target was shot while checking how I was shooting after getting my rifle back. I started at 50 and made my way to the 200. I can shoot groups similar to that all day at 100 yards with my aac.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I apologize for taking so long to get back to this thread, the crazy environment and the resulting search for AR small parts has been maddening.

I am looking to cultivate real world tactical long range abilities. Im not looking for a bench rest queen. I'm looking for a rifle to help me develop a skill set and to regularly train with.

G

·
...I am looking to cultivate real world tactical long range abilities. Im not looking for a bench rest queen. I'm looking for a rifle to help me develop a skill set and to regularly train with...
Ok then, let's get started.

Let's put to rest the whole caliber question, shall we? It will be .308 Winchester. Nuff said.

There are lots of reasonably good factory bolt guns out there. None of them measure up to a custom built rig. If you last in this quest you'll be getting a custom rig eventually so; in for a penny in for a pound.

Your best bet is to begin with a short action Remington Model 700 in any caliber that has a compatible bolt head for the .308Win.

Then have a rifle-smith;

1. square-up and true the action
2. ensure that the tapped holes for the scope mount are true
3. install a 22" to 24" medium heavy taper barrel, 1:10 twist
4. install a heavy recoil lug
5. coat over all in Ceracoat in your favorite color (Flat Black)
6. mount in an AICS 1.5 or 2.0 chassis in your favorite color (skim bed if necessary)
7. mount a steel, one-piece, M1913 Picitinny rail scope base (Badger Ordnance) which includes 20 moa forward slope

Select and purchase a telescopic sight with the following features;

1. Variable magnification in the 3X to 15X range (+/-)
2. Milradian graduated reticle on the first focal plane
3. Milradian graduated elevation and windage adjustment turrets
4. Adjustable parallax
5. Illuminated reticle

Use steel mil-spec rings (Badger Ordnance) to mount the telescopic sight.

Add a quality spirit level (U.S. Optics) mounted on the scope base.

Mount an Angle Cosine Indicator that reads in degrees.

Mount a quality bipod (Harris), 9"-13" swivel base with notched legs.

Mount a synthetic carry strap or shooting sling.

To do all of this really well you'll need to budget on the order of $6,000. You can probably shop around and make some compromises and spend as little as $4,000.

Welcome to the world of long range precision tactical shooting.

Oh, by the way, we haven't even begun to talk about the other equipment you'll need. Bwahahahahah.

G

·
Start out with a Remington M700 SPS, Varmint rifle.

The injection molded stock is not ok because the forearm is not stiff enough to prevent bending under load and will touch the barrel no matter what. But it's a start.

Attach a Badger Ordnance one piece steel base with 20-moa slope.

A great starter scope is the SWFA SS MRAD 10X42 Tactical Riflescope. It is a fixed 10X scope but will get you in the game and has those features necessary for your training.
SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope

Mount your scope on the rifle using Badger Ordnance standard height steel scope rings.

Get a Harris Bipod (9"-13" swivel type w/notched legs). Also get the pod-lock addition, it's worth it's weight in gold.

Rifle $ 700
Scope $ 300
Scope Base* $ 150
Scope Rings* $ 150
Bipod w/podlock* $ 130

Total for a starter kit $ 1,430

Note 1: Those items marked with a (*) will not ever have to be replaced or upgraded.
Note 2: You can buy cheaper substitutes but you'll end up replacing them eventually.

· Registered
22 Posts
thanks for all the great info guys, i am also in the market for a 700 and some of this info is going to come in handy, i didnt realize we could get the aac-sd in our oh so great state of NY, but now i will look into that because i really wanted to go with an AAC-SD with an Accuracy International stock

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.