New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buddy of mine wants to buy his first gun for HD and start process for pistol permit. Any place good to go that will help him out or should I just have him order something and send it over to Firefly?

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Shotgun, I assume?

I would bring him anywhere that's going to have a good selection, a bigger store such as American Shooter Supply 702 Central Ave, Albany, NY 12205, and American Trade and Goods which I hear is a nice store though I haven't been there yet, just north of Latham at 1213 Loudon Road, Cohoes, NY 12047.

Both will be convenient locations for him. Check out what he is interested in, see how he likes any particular gun, and then compare prices online. Then ship to Firefly if it will be cheaper.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Grabagun or Gunbroker and/or send him to Bob. Unfortunately I don't get the warm fuzzy customer relations at most of the local spots. They just want to club you over the head an move on. They don't see customers they see $ signs. They are good for shopping around for some used firearms.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
American shooters supply on central ave is the largest,they have a very wide selection of pistols,service is spotty depending on who is there that day.
There is a younger guy named Brian there who is great to deal with,the owner Brian is also a good guy,some of the older fellows,I have not been very impressed with.
Some people love the place and some people hate it so mileage varies,I have bought 5 guns there and my Father at minimum a dozen.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
http://www.zackssports.com/
Never been there. The pictures look nice.

One of my favorite places to stop in when I'm out that way is Franks Gun Shop 3549 New York 30, Gloversville, NY 12078. Lots of reloading stuff for you reloaders but not as convenient to the Albany Latham area.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. Yeah I told him just to pick up a Rem 870 or Mossy 500 but he's new and would like to have him check some stuff out to see what he likes. He's only interested in something for HD.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I was going to suggest Zack's Sports, but hesitated only because it's a little north of Latham in Round Lake. They will definitely guide him through the whole pistol permit process.
I've been going there for years and can't say enough about them!!
Respects, Pedro.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Pedro. Doesn't have to be right in Albany/Latham he can drive. Looking for best place in terms of selection and customer service. Will let him know about these places and let him decide for himself. He's a big boy lol...

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
The American Trade & Goods is a nice shop. Same owner's as B&J. Firearm prices are $100-$250 more than web prices plus 8% sales tax. Ammo prices are hit and miss used firearm selection is low. There clothing, knife, boot selection however is good and prices are fair. One of the only dealers of wrangler jeans. If your friend is interested in a Rem. 870 PM me I have a friend that has one he might want to sell.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Buddy of mine wants to buy his first gun for HD and start process for pistol permit. Any place good to go that will help him out or should I just have him order something and send it over to Firefly?
C .... if he's looking in the Albany/Latham area ... send him to Firefly!! Bob's right there in the mix seeing as how he's right there next to the Albany/Schenectady line.

Oh ... and keep him away from Zack's at ALL costs!! The most overpriced and unpleasant place to buy a gun ... unless you've spent $10,000 or more then they're you're friends!!! If I, or even people I know, go in there ... the guys at Zack's don't care what I'm looking for and they'll ignore you like they do to everyone else that isn't in a LE uniform. The worst rated gun shop in NYS!!! Stay away!! Brick of .22 ammo still at $120 ... any buyers here?? **** YOU ZACK'S!!! You can buy a Mosin Nagant for $400 if you like too!!! Hell of a deal!!! NOT!!

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. JVG will let you know if he is interested in a used gun. I think he would prefer to buy new. Thanks for the heads up CS. I use Bob for all of my guns and highly recommend him to everyone but he doesn't keep a large stock on hand. Just looking for a place where my buddy can try a few things out to see what he likes is all. I will definitely tell him he could probably save a few bucks and buy online and ship to Bob after he decides what he wants.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Thanks guys. JVG will let you know if he is interested in a used gun. I think he would prefer to buy new. Thanks for the heads up CS. I use Bob for all of my guns and highly recommend him to everyone but he doesn't keep a large stock on hand. Just looking for a place where my buddy can try a few things out to see what he likes is all. I will definitely tell him he could probably save a few bucks and buy online and ship to Bob after he decides what he wants.
New Slogan:

LGS...Good for a quick finger ****.

·
Registered
558 Posts
American shooters supply on central ave is the largest,they have a very wide selection of pistols,service is spotty depending on who is there that day.
There is a younger guy named Brian there who is great to deal with,the owner Brian is also a good guy,some of the older fellows,I have not been very impressed with.
Some people love the place and some people hate it so mileage varies,I have bought 5 guns there and my Father at minimum a dozen.
i like the place been in there a good amount of times and very friendly
always been willing to help regardless if I was buying or looking
hope this helps

·
Registered
764 Posts
Never been there. The pictures look nice.

One of my favorite places to stop in when I'm out that way is Franks Gun Shop 3549 New York 30, Gloversville, NY 12078. Lots of reloading stuff for you reloaders but not as convenient to the Albany Latham area.
Franks is local to me. I was never impressed with the prices and the 4 times I have entered the store I have been treated like ****. I will never go there again unless it changes hands.
Call up and get a price on ammo or a FFL transfer if you want to see if its about service or raping the community since its the only shop for 40 miles.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Albany has driven out every gun shop within Albany city limits. There are none left.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts