New York Firearms Forum banner

where you can/ where you can't

Tags
can or
1K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  hermannr 
#1 ·
I just got into a debate at the office about this fact, being it is a government office I'm in....obviously this is a "can't" carry place

What I am trying to ascertain is where else "can't" you have a CCW

My big obvious ones are
1 government offices/ courthouses etc.
2 Schools (K-12....a real no brainer there)
3 anywhere prohibited via signs/ policy.....pretty much Monroe county from what I hear on here

That was all I could think of. I wasn't sure if Bars were one of those type of situations or not....

please feel free to elaborate

#2 ·
post office ,most national parks, all federal buildings, some state and county/local building, schools, pre k through post grad, including parking lots, most state parks. Private owned businesses that post no guns signs, aka criminals welcome, have no authority to enforce other than to ask you to leave and have you charged with tress passing if you don't comply.

#19 ·
That is kind of a blanket statement that you might want to qualify..Post office, when Petersons law suit is settled...that may change.

Federal buildings? Well, have you ever read 18 USC 930 and the exemptions? (you know, that little part that says, this does not apply to:) Must not have.

State/county/local buildings? Again,you should be a bit more specific.

Schools? There are exemptions to that one too. Look in law and politics thread for the specific law.. I am assuming you are talking about NYS?

National Parks? Depends on state law. If state law does not allow any carry in parks?...maybe...maybe not, again, depends on State Law because Federal law says it is OK if it is OK within that state. If we are talking about outside NY, Most National Parks outside NYS you can carry...whether you need a license or not depends on the state the NP is in.

Private business it is up to that business and state law again.

#5 ·
There's a thread out there (started by Dave from RPD I believe) with a running list of well-known places where CCW is forbidden. Rules do vary by County with regards to where you cannot carry. Some Counties do have "no carry in bar" policies whether you're drinking or not (Niagara is one of them). As Evild stated, privately owned establishments with "CCW Forbidden" policies are not backed by law.

#13 ·
There are local laws about carrying while drunk. I know Rochester has one. Rochester also has a law that says if you carrying a firearm then you consent to a breath test if the officer has reasonable cause.

No person shall carry a firearm, shotgun, rifle or air gun in the City while such person has 1/10 of 1% or more by weight of alcohol in the person's blood as shown by chemical analysis of the person's blood, breath, urine or saliva.

Any person who carries a firearm, shotgun, rifle or air gun in this City shall be deemed to have given consent to a breath test and a chemical test of the person's breath, blood, urine or saliva for the purpose of determining the alcoholic or drug content of the person's blood, provided that any test is administered at the direction of a police officer having reasonable grounds therefor.

#15 ·
This is about hunting while drunk.

§ 11-1203. Hunting while intoxicated prohibited. 1. No person shall engage in hunting while he is in an intoxicated condition. 2. No person shall engage in hunting while his ability to engage in such hunting without creating unreasonable risk of injury or death to himself or other human life is impaired by his consumption of alcohol or use of a drug.
2. "Intoxicated condition" shall mean the presence of .10 of one per centum or more by weight of alcohol in a person's blood as shown by chemical analyses of his blood, breath, urine, or saliva made pursuant to section 11-1205 of this title. An "impaired condition" shall mean a state of impairment of a person's capacity to think or act correctly, or of a loss, even in part of a person's control of his physical or mental faculties due to his consumption of alcohol or use of a drug.

So you can be more drunk and hunt legally then operate a motor vehicle lol. Got to love good old NYS.

#17 ·
This is about hunting while drunk.

§ 11-1203. Hunting while intoxicated prohibited. 1. No person shall engage in hunting while he is in an intoxicated condition. 2. No person shall engage in hunting while his ability to engage in such hunting without creating unreasonable risk of injury or death to himself or other human life is impaired by his consumption of alcohol or use of a drug.
2. "Intoxicated condition" shall mean the presence of .10 of one per centum or more by weight of alcohol in a person's blood as shown by chemical analyses of his blood, breath, urine, or saliva made pursuant to section 11-1205 of this title. An "impaired condition" shall mean a state of impairment of a person's capacity to think or act correctly, or of a loss, even in part of a person's control of his physical or mental faculties due to his consumption of alcohol or use of a drug.

So you can be more drunk and hunt legally then operate a motor vehicle lol. Got to love good old NYS.
wow, thanks for sharing this! I never knew.
Not that I hunt drunk or anything, well, since my younger days haha
i'm sure there were some thanksgiving mornings when I still had a pretty good buzz from partying the night before. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.