New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Albany.
It's considered the lower Hudson valley to the folks that live in the Adirondacks

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just looking at Camp Smith's website and they have a 600 yard range. Please tell me that they are open to the public

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Just looking at Camp Smith's website and they have a 600 yard range. Please tell me that they are open to the public
I think a few leagues might shoot there still. The range needs to be reserved through range control. You also need to pay rent, post $2million in insurance and have a medic. This is not a public shooting range.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Alistair, thanks for the info on the 1000yd range, it is a bit of a hike to get there, but there's nothing like the 'plinking' of a steel target at long range. Not sure if the range mrod mentions would be less travel time or not, 600yd isn't bad, though the Canastota application seems more onerous than Mifflin

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cool Beans, good to know. Is it the http://sdpsa.clcpro.com/join.html club? I'm always open to donating time as long as it's manual labor... strangely enough as it might seem, being a keyboard jockey, I find it relaxing to do manual work, just focus on the task at hand and get it done.
Let me know(?)
Thanks

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Rockland rifle club have high power open class and service rifle, matches at camp smith. http://hudsonvalleyhighpowerrifleleague.com
Per camp smith rules .223 caliber and smaller, The matches have only been 200 and 300 reduced targets as of late. I'm hoping they set up a fun shoot soon out too 600 soon. as I'm not really set up too compete at the moment.

I was trying to get the guys to work in FTR but they are very focused on High power more FTR shooters may help the cause to work in more slow fire strings for record.

Hit them up with an email they are a good group of mostly older guys, enthusiast shooters, get the word out the sport needs new young blood.

as posted above There are fun shoots every blue moon at Westpoint.

The other option if Forbes Rifle Club Albany, It's members only but matches are open to NRA members, with an NRA membership and a qualification you can apply for membership.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Ok, so I send my $60 to Mifflin, drive 4 hours, and I can use their range any time? Is it that simple ? Or do I need to go through a membership process ?
I don't know about Mifflin. Forbes isn't that easy. You need to have an NRA classification or successful completion of an NRA small arms school to join Forbes. It's open out to 200 yards all the time, out to 600 on Thursdays, and out to 1000 on 4 (?) Mondays a year for practice, plus the 1000 yard matches.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts