New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
They are tryng to find an argument for basic logic; to which there really isnt.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I dont really bash the NRA I dont think BUT.............................

I still don't see them doing anything in this state. If they continue to ignore this state and others that are largely anti gun then eventually more and more states will become anti gun. If that happens then they wont have as much sway federally.

·
Registered
754 Posts
but but ... you don't need an assault high-powered machine gun with 57 hollow-point high-powered bullet clip thing along with that shoulder thing that goes up

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Actually Wayne has changed my mind about him and the militancy of the NRA of the 90s and I just signed back up. If he would have come out any other way I would have still avoided them like the plague.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
If you are talking about on this forum most non-NRA members feelings have most likely not changed. Talk is cheap. Actions speak louder than words. I'm interested in seeing if this plan is ever even started. Wayne's speech was not exactly a grand slam in my opinion. Good, but not great.

·
6,795 Posts
At this point I dont belong to any gun lobbies. I will however join scope when they start their lawsuit against Monroe County.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Ok fine, if you insist. :)
That line about violent video games and tv causing these is stupider than any statement about guns causing this.

·
6,795 Posts
That line about violent video games and tv causing these is stupider than any statement about guns causing this.
Agreed. If anything its the governments fault and the parents fault. The government has laws that restricts some disciplining of children even if it is just the fact parents are afraid of their kids calling the police on them,

Its also the parents fault for the way they "raise" their kids.

Its not guns fault, its not movies or videos games fault. Its the parents fault and they have a decent case to pass on partial blame to the government in my opinon.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Oh boy, I sense another Youtube rant on the near horizon!

·
Registered
637 Posts
It's sometimes smart to apply liberal logic in certain scenarios to reach out to the lib-tards. Remember kids, libs are usually sub-human retards, ya gotta keep it as simple and as stupid as possible to get their attention. Well played Wayne, well played.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
You watch video game you tube channels? I'm assuming his would be game based...

·
Registered
4,994 Posts

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
All just pieces of the puzzle.... There isn't ONE right answer, but all the politicians are focused on ONLY guns. They aren't looking at the big picture, but it seemed to me the NRA is at least looking at a bigger picture (still not the whole thing, but getting there.)

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Nope. xD I've taken a break from gun ranting for a bit. Zippo videos coming up. :D

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
I'll jump in. I second Darth's concern with them blaming media for the problems and I'll still refuse to give money to an organization that claims to protect the gun rights of Americans and yet, has completely left us NYers out to hang.

Now, if you want to keep on being the sucker that dumps his money into something that doesn't benefit him as a gun owner, be my guest. I, on the other hand, will give to the NY based organizations. They have a tougher fight ahead of them and they are going to need the help in fighting Prince Andrew.

I don't have a negetive view of the NRA, but they haven't done anything for me, why should I do anything for them?

·
Registered
410 Posts
I think it makes a lot of sense to shift some police resources to schools and public places. However, Wayne LaPierre called for the government to establish a registry of everyone in America with a mental illness. This is cause for some concern.

"According to the World Health Organization, mental illness results in more disability in developed countries than any other group of illnesses, including cancer and heart disease. Other published studies report that about 25% of all U.S. adults have a mental illness and that nearly 50% of U.S. adults will develop at least one mental illness during their lifetime." (CDC Features - U.S. Adult Mental Illness Surveillance Report)

The American Psychiatric Association's DSM-IV, the manual used for diagnosing mental illness lists 297 different mental disorders. I picked up a copy a few years ago, and it is interesting to look through. If you have anxiety about sexual performance or are afraid of air travel, then you are mentally ill. If you use any type of medication for insomnia, anxiety, or depression, then you are mentally ill. If you were diagnosed with ADHD when you were 6 years old, then you have a history of mental illness. If you are addicted to tobacco then you have Nicotine Dependence Disorder, a mental illness. If you are irritable while trying to quit smoking, you have a different mental illness.

I really think that mental illness diagnosis could end up being used to deny a huge percentage of the population their right to own firearms. Mostly individuals who would be considered normal and do not present any threat to others. Even in this forum I have seen several people mention the psychiatric drugs they are taking. In another forum, I remember reading about somebody getting denied a pistol permit in New York for admitting to taking an antidepressant drug used to quit smoking. I've mentioned this in a couple other threads, but I think it deserves repetition. The term "mentally ill" generally conjures up images of psychotic individuals or people with severely disturbed behavior when used by members of the general public. This is not how the term is used by mental health professionals. They use the term to refer to a much broader array of major and minor problems with no relationship to a propensity for violence or psychosis.

For anybody interested in the topic of mental illness in America and the controversial nature of the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness, I recommend reading "Anatomy of an Epidemic" by Robert Whitaker.

I'm all for keeping guns out of the hand of people who are dangerous, but this is a decision that should ultimately be made by in a courtroom, not a psychiatrist's office. Maybe a temporary order by a psychiatrist would be acceptable until a case can be reviewed in a legal setting.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Hey I bash when it is deserved and I will admit I wrongly assumed they would agree to some sort of new restrictions in lieu of an all out ban with or without grand fathering.

·
Registered
53 Posts
NRA works mostly on a FEDERAL level on Second Amendment issues (and yes, they have done a lot for us on federal level).
NRA does work in NY on safety, sporting shooting events, promotion of Second Amendment rights.

SCOPE works on the state level on gun related issues. If you want to get involved and fight for your rights withn NY state, join Shooter's Committee on Political Education (SCOPE). They have been around for more than 40+ years:
Shooters Committee on Political Education - S.C.O.P.E. NY

1 - 20 of 62 Posts