New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is an interesting question I pose. Because it is so hard (complicated/long) to get a CCW in this state, I want to know something else. Have you ever been in a situation in your life REGARDLESS of pistol permit status (wether you have one or not), regardless of legality of carrying in the place...just imagine everywhere was legal, where you would have drawn your pistol had you legally had one? I know we cannot 100% be SURE of what we would do in a situation, but some events just burn in your mind and you can take your best guess. This is NOT when you would actually have shot someone necessarily, but at least drawn to try and stop things/ ready yourself. Could be life threatening robbery, wildlife encounter, carjacking you had, anything. It's more or less to see if that anti mantra of "How many times would you even have to draw in a lifetime? Zero? Thought so!" Has any weight. I'll start with my 2:

The first was when I was 16/17. I was at my friend's house hanging out. This friend has an older brother. Well this friend and his older brother sometimes get into "sibling quarrels" and spar. 1 time he took it too far. He had just bought a .22 Rifle. Being 16/17 I owned nothing at the time. Well for some dumb juvenile reason the 2 started to spar. Well they fought for a bit and went back to their respective rooms. A few minutes later a knock comes at the door of my friends room. We open it and his brother is there WITH HIS RIFLE! He loads a loaded mag, chambers a round and points it right at us. Now, if I was CCWing I would absolutely draw. Luckily I slammed the door on him and he left, but that isn't cool in my (anybody's?) book.

The second was at work. I work in a school so CCW is impossible. Well I was lifeguarding one day at night (indoor pool.) About 2 hours into a shift on a boring night I walk by to full-length glass doors. As soon as I get near them the BOTH SHATTER simultaneously! I ran away from the flying glass as they shattered thinking someone had shot the doors out because it had happened before, albeit with a pellet gun. I could just stare at the gaping holes from the deck completely defenseless waiting for someone to come in. Turns out later that to punk kids threw rocks through the doors, but I think that was the 1 time in my life I wanted a gun more than ever. These punk bitches waited until I walked by the door and threw the rocks through.

So at least for ME, and I would imagine a lot of you out there, that idiotic statement is untrue.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a reason these things go unreported so, no comment.
Not in all cases. In mine it was simply the lack of being legally allowed to carry.

· Registered
543 Posts
In the story with the .22 had you pulled a gun you would probly of gotten shot. Was a immature kid trying to scare his brother.

I know people like to think a concealed weapon will protect them, but all it does is escalate a situation so it ends much much uglier for all involved. All your gonna do is freak out and wildly start shooting once the adrenaline starts pumping. We've all seen the screaming cop videos as they squeel and run while they empty the gun and dont even hit the guy once.

Learn self defense, some martial arts if you feel your in that much danger on the mean streets of amsterdam where you need to carry a gun. I've was in alot of F'ed up situations when I lived abroad, and simply knowing how to handle myself got me through it. Had I pulled a gun Id either be dead or in a jail cell.

· Registered
3,865 Posts
In my civilian life, never yet. Keeping the fingers crossed.

· Registered
2,913 Posts
+1 Never having to have the need to draw a gun for any reason......Sometimes people look for a reason for justification in certain situations....

· Registered
4,955 Posts
A draw in the first situation probably would've ended up with both of you dead. Considering you were in your buddy's house and you likely knew everyone there (plus you knew the older brother was a jerk off); I would have have bet on the older brother deciding against being jailed for 20-life. The second situation didn't qualify as self defense. Then there's that part about being in a school...

· Registered
8,342 Posts
I have once but it was in a rural area with only the GF around. We were hiking and saw a decent size black bear less than 50 yards away. Not a big deal but this bear noticed us and seemed interested or curious. He actually walked in our direction. Very strange behavior. As he got closer I drew and kept the gun low but ready just in case. I yelled at it and he eventually decided to go away. I know black bear attacks are very rare and have been around bears but this one acted weird. That was the only time I have ever drawn.

· Registered
169 Posts
Having situation where likely needing to draw gun--probably once. While walking down quiet city street in the middle of the day, punk kid brandished folded-up switchblade and demanded money (had less than a dollars worth of change on me at the time).

· I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,805 Posts
I have had a loaded pistol pointed at my head while playing a board game, I also had a knife put to my throat while on duty by one of my staff sergeants (which I thought was very unprofessional and pissed me off) and he asked what I would do and I said I would do nothing and that that I may die but he is going to die as well by the other guys and I didnt draw in either of those situations. The closet I got to drawing was dealing with a drunk while working in cooperation with police and the guy kept putting his hands near his pockets.

· Registered
2,534 Posts
I know people like to think a concealed weapon will protect them, but all it does is escalate a situation so it ends much much uglier for all involved. All your gonna do is freak out and wildly start shooting once the adrenaline starts pumping. We've all seen the screaming cop videos as they squeel and run while they empty the gun and dont even hit the guy once.
I beg to differ and that's all I'm going to say about that.

Learn self defense, some martial arts if you feel your in that much danger on the mean streets of amsterdam where you need to carry a gun. I've was in alot of F'ed up situations when I lived abroad, and simply knowing how to handle myself got me through it. Had I pulled a gun Id either be dead or in a jail cell.
Yes, because everyone knows exactly when and where they will be put in a situation, the specific type of denger, is physically capable of some form of martial arts form, and always exudes a dominant air of authority regardless being 96# or 75 years old or disabled in some form or fashion.

You know like that 65 year old woman who kicked the **** out of 7 teenaged attackers who wanted her purse and her *****.
Oh.... wait..... nevermind

Not everyone is at a peak or could maintain such.
You seem to think MA is the way to go, and that's fine. I've seen people go all douchebag spastic with that just like you think everyone would do with a gun. I've also seen dickweeds whip right down with MA for little or no reason because assault doesn't carry the same penalties as assault with a firearm.
Those who carry tend to avoid drawing unless absolutely neccisary and not pull down on someone because they were bumped into on the street.

Some believe in peace through superior firepower, some have to outright rely on it.
You want everyone to take martial arts.
I want everyone to carry some form of 45 cocked and locked :shrug:

Point of note: using police as some kind of an example is a poor choice
There are great bunches of them that are not only not gunfighters, they don't practice, train, familiarize or *maintain thier sidearm. Some even have to stop everything to try and figure out how to release a magazine.
Psychologically when that type is exposed to extreme violence thier reaction is generally more 12 year old girl rather than a cool collected individual who's most definitely in control of all thier facalties.
I think it has something to do with being afraid getting killed over riding the training and conditioning they didn't have to begin with.

* 'maintain' is used in the sense of may have gotten sidearm 10 years ago, put it in thier holster, and literally not touched it since. Not all obviously, but they are out there in likely greater numbers than one would feel comfortable knowing.
A person who CC's or goes to the range a couple times a year is vastly more qualified to use a handgun IOW, and they don't have a badge or underarmor.

· Registered
2,689 Posts
Have never been at Condition Red that I can think of. But I find myself in Condition Orange every now and then, maybe a few times a year depending. At those times I am glad to have options. I am happy it has never gone past that.

· Registered
5,426 Posts
Your first story yes I would have drawn on him and probably fired, I had a similar situation happen to me, on vacation in Florida my friends brother came down off a coke high, went nuts and tried to beat up his little brother (my friend) he had been on this drug so long it made him very weak and my friend beat his ass good, which made him feel stupid, next thing I know I have a chrome Raven .25 ACP in my face with a shaky, tweaking coke head pointing it at me and my friend, he was just far enough away where I couldn't try to lunge for him and just close enough to where he wasn't going to miss no matter where I tried to duck to (happened inside his house) and right then I was really wishing I had something to point back at him.

Nothing came of it, he stopped being an idiot, he left that day and later on he cleaned up his act, became a decent guy and more then made up for that night, he hated even remembering it, only to later be murdered by some punks on his block. I wish he hadn't quit carrying, maybe he would have been able to defend himself.

· Registered
2,689 Posts
Those of you saying you would have drawn on the kid with the .22, I hope you realize that is definitively the wrong choice. We know the result of not drawing; no one gets shot or imprisoned. You could have the same result if you drew, but you could also have a worse result.

I'm not saying the reasoning wouldn't be there, I get why you would feel the need to do that. But ultimately how the situation resolves is all that matters, and we know NOW that not drawing was the superior choice. Something to think about.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
In the story with the .22 had you pulled a gun you would probly of gotten shot. Was a immature kid trying to scare his brother.

I didn't realize Courier already had an alt.

So what part of facing a loaded gun in your face does not justify drawing your weapon?

Some of these responses really have helped me judge the tone here though. So from what I gather you may draw after you are dead on the ground an a pool of your own blood?

The second situation didn't qualify as self defense. Then there's that part about being in a school...

Darthgamer138 said:
Regardless of legality of carrying in the place...just imagine everywhere was legal,
Well no. To start shooting wildly after such an event would not. To ready myself considering previous events is no doubt not a bad idea. Not really looking for justification though. I'll handle such situations in the manner I see fit for myself. Just curious if anyone else had ever had any.

I hope in my CCW life I never some into a situation in which I must actually draw, and 2 times in 21 years is not bad in my book. It is just a little odd to me that some people don't even see being threatened with a loaded gun a justified situation. I wonder how other sites would respond as I am genuinely curious of the climate.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.