New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a new rifle and could use some advice. I want to buy a .308 but am not sure when the right time to buy would be. Here in the city we have to wait 90days between each rifle/shotgun purchase and my time ends on November 8th. In your opinion should I buy then or wait ? My only issue with waiting is if andy wins the election everyone might buy out what they can before he limits us again. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
I don't see why there would be a right or wrong time to buy ANY gun. I suppose after the hunting seasons end the prices might drop ever so slightly, but nothing major. Also, local political issues can't really affect a national market like guns. Maybe in the city where bolt actions are the most popular rifles, but you're probably going to be buying it out of the city anyway.

·
Uberbi.. nah, I can't do it.
3,501 Posts
My husband just picked up a Weatherby .308 and the prices seemed about the same as always. If you can do it in November, go for it!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
If I was limited as to how often I could buy guns(other than financially) I would buy ASAP, that was if you see another firearm you want you will have less of a wait.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Here locally in the Seattle the prices remain the same with in a few bucks through out the year, The local Cabelas has a sale on them, BUT their prices are way higher on new guns then the other gun stores here locally. Even on their sale your paying more then at other oultlets. I've bought guns online with paying the shipping, transfer fees and the State of Washington's "Use Tax" is still cheaper then Cabelas base price before the sales tax.

Once you decide what you want check around some and see what you can save. I personally buy mostly used and can generally buy what ever I'm looking for at a decent price. I've save a great deal of money once I know
what I want and just hold out until I find it at a good price.
I bought a nice used JM stamped 444 Marlin lever-action from Cabelas for only $329 & tax. They some times have good prices on the used guns, New ones not so often.

The best time to buy your next gun is right after you bought the last one. I generally have a few guns on lay-away at all times. I've got five on lay-away right now, I'll be picking up three of them maybe Monday. A stainless Ruger Mark 2, a Marlin 882, 22 magnum and an old 410 singleshot shotgun.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
If you know what you want, you have the funds, and it's available, buy it. End of story. FUAC! Nov 8 will be after the election anyway, so you'll have an idea if there's been a run on guns and ammo ahead of time.

Be sure to plan for ammo also if it's a new caliber. There's nothing worse than bringing home a shiny new toy and you have no ammo to feed it or no funds to buy the ammo to feed it.

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
Can you pick your rifle and put it on lay-a-way? Pre-pay and reserve, lock in the price?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Depending what exactly you want and where you want to buy it from, it may be worth it to wait for black Friday.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Depends on where you buy it. The chain stores often run sales after hunting season just before Christmas. I was looking for a 308 last year. The retail on it was $599. It went on sale for $499 and then they had $40 off any gun over 400. I then applied for the store card and got an additional 10% off. The price before tax came to $413.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Go for it on the 8th

·
Registered
715 Posts
I'm looking to buy a new rifle and could use some advice. I want to buy a .308 but am not sure when the right time to buy would be. Here in the city we have to wait 90days between each rifle/shotgun purchase and my time ends on November 8th. In your opinion should I buy then or wait ? My only issue with waiting is if andy wins the election everyone might buy out what they can before he limits us again. Thanks for the advice!
"if it were me" I would if possible, order one on line, have shipped to your trusted FFL dealer, and take possession on 11-8. That way if there is any after election hysteria, your purchase is secured. Plus you can have it ready on the 8th in the event that any new laws get in the pipeline, you should be able to beat that deadline.

If you are shopping local, see if you can put it on layaway with everything but a buck, secure yourself the purchase, and pick it up on the 8th.

There is just too many unknowns in this state, better to secure your purchase while you know the current rules. Good luck.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was thinking about black friday but i've never heard/seen guns go on sale for black friday. I was able to find one new for under 600bucks I'm guessing that pretty dam good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts