New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the electricity fails it's important to have the wherewithal to provide your own illumination.

There are several alternatives when it comes to lighting our lives after sundown.

Candles come to mind but they can be a fire hazard and aren't great for giving off a lot of light. Hurricane candles like the one shown on the left in the above image are a pretty good compromise. They are pretty safe and they burn for a very long time (several days). These candles will give off enough light to keep you from stumbling over furniture. Their greatest attribute is their cost. These candles can be had for $1 each at various discount stores so there's no reason not to have a slew of them on hand.

Next to the Hurricane candle is a Dietz lantern. This lantern is safe and with the right fuel doesn't smell and will give off substantially more light than a hurricane candle. The cost of Dietz lanterns and associated parts is pretty low and should be within the budget of almost anybody.
Third from the left is an Aladdin Lamp. This is by far the King of light producers. These lanterns and their associated parts (wicks, mantels, chimneys, etc.) are expensive but they run quietly and efficiently. These lanterns can do double duty as heaters as well they generate lots of heat when running.

Finally we come to, the old standby, the Coleman lantern. I'm not a fan of the Coleman Lantern because they use highly flammable fuel and are loud when running and take constant attention to keep them pumped up. These lanterns are best used outdoors.

Of course in this day of the LED lamp there's no reason not to have a mess of LED flashlights and headlamps on hand with plenty of batteries. Headlamps are the bomb when you need to do chores in the dark.

· I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,805 Posts
Last year I lost power for a few hours. As soon as the power went out I didnt think it was a big deal and thought to myself I would watch a movie or something. When the T.V. wouldn't turn on I realized just how much I take electricity for granted and couldnt believe I thought I could watch a movie with no power lol.

· Banned
1,269 Posts
I remember the big snow/ice storm a few years ago,outta power for over a week!After that I bough a Honda generator and have it wired to my house so I can watch a movie and get hot showers.I really hate camping surprisingly,cause I love hunting and fishing...

· Registered
2,130 Posts
I remember the big snow/ice storm a few years ago,outta power for over a week!After that I bough a Honda generator and have it wired to my house so I can watch a movie and get hot showers.I really hate camping surprisingly,cause I love hunting and fishing...
^ I actually love camping but don't really favor hunting/fishing. (unless it was for survival then I could)

If it was really bad and I needed food to stay fresh I could always go over to my boss's house since he has a diesel generator from a hospital, no idea how he managed to get that but it will power his house for almost a month without running out of fuel. Then add in the drums of W85 that he made(85% waste motor oil, 15% regular unleaded) and has stored in the barn, it could probably run for a year.

· Registered
2,534 Posts
A few inches of cotton string, preferably around 1/8" thick
Bit of coat hanger or bendable metal wire
Clam shell, tea saucer, basically a low 'bowl' type container 2"~4" diameter and up to 1/2" deep
Vegetable oil, coolking oil, pretty much any oil but synthetics

Bend wire so that it fits in bowl thing with at least a couple inches remaining sticking up
Bend stuck up portion so that the end of the string can be held in a gentle pinch grip by the wire
Take string and hook it to top of wire with about 1/2" free, take remaining length of string and lay it in the bowl. If long, don't cut it, but make coils in the bowl instead
Add vegetable oil to bowl. fill but don't get it so deep that it can accidentally slop out
Let string soak about 1/2 and hour, light with match
If it produces black smoke constantly, shorten the wick portion of the string

Done right, 2 teaspoons of oil will produce light for 4+ hours (there's a LOT off teaspoons in a quart of vegetable oil...)
Kept topped up, the string will last for days of continuous light, but if you let it get low or start to burn out, the string will be consumed at a rapid rate as it will start burning instead of the oil.
Basically as long as there's oil to consume, the string will remain untouched

BTW, the wire pinch grip also prevents the flame from creeping down the length of the string

Granted its not new technology, but if you need what amounts to be a bit more than candle light and don't have actual lamps and flashlights around, this will bring it.

Oh, and if it tips over and spills odds are significantly more in favor that it'll snuff itself out as opposed to bursting into some kind of fueled fire.
Of course that doesn't mean you can be a dumbass around it, it is an open flame after all.

· Registered
3,865 Posts
I need some more candles.

But luckily for us most people would go insane after several days of no power because their cell phones and internet wouldn't work.
Wait wait wait wait wait. How would we log onto NYF if we lost the interwebs? FFFFFFFFfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After running an on-line power calculator the suggested sized generator for my house is 8.5kW. The assumptions I used were that I would only run the necessities.

Cost: $3,200 for generator and $2,000 for installation

The suggested Kohler, natural gas generator at 75% load will consume 113 cubic feet per hour of natural gas.

Natural gas prices fluctuate but at the moment they are $10.36 per 1,000 cubic feet.

If the generator is left to run at 75% load for one week the cost in natural gas would be;

7 days X 24 hours X 113 cubic feet per hour = 18,984 cubic feet /1,000 = 18.984 X $10.36 = $196.67 per week.

How many weeks can you afford?
In a protracted grid-down situation how long will natural gas be available?

· The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
Very nice!

Can you give us the specs of your solar power system? How many watts? How many batteries do you have? Do you have an anticipated date that you will break even from the cost of them?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I never did a Return on Investment analysis for the solar system. I simply didn't care. I was able to afford it at the time with both the Fed & State pitching in so I did it.
The system is currently grid-tied and on a day like today it will produce around 25 to 30 kilowatt hours.
I'll do a battery bank and inverter set-up when I can afford it.

· Registered
79 Posts
Not the topic I thought from the title but...Similar to what others have said I learned this years ago from Mr. Wizard TV show.

tuna can with 1/2 inch of veg oil. 3 pieces of cotton string and a bolt. Feed three strings through bolt about 1 inch. put the long end in oil using bolt as stand and light short end. as it burns down feed more string through bolt.

Any my parents said I would never learn anything from TV.

· Registered
2,130 Posts
Not the topic I thought from the title but...Similar to what others have said I learned this years ago from Mr. Wizard TV show.

tuna can with 1/2 inch of veg oil. 3 pieces of cotton string and a bolt. Feed three strings through bolt about 1 inch. put the long end in oil using bolt as stand and light short end. as it burns down feed more string through bolt.

Any my parents said I would never learn anything from TV.
Do we need to drill a hole in the bolt or something?

· Registered
233 Posts
I picked one of these up last year off craigslist for $40. It is capable of running off camp fuel or gasoline. Worst case scenario you can siphon fuel from the car to light the house. I also have a camp stove of the same design.
Liquid Camera accessory Gas Cylinder Machine

· I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,805 Posts
What about night vision? Pretty pricey but typically gen 3 run for about 40 hours on 1 battery (AA or CR123a) have about 10,000 hour life expectancy. Granted it doesnt help provide light to others in the home like a candle but it could still be useful.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.