New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I didn't want to mention it because really nothing counts until you find out how you did on your exam, but...

I took the civil service exam for Ithaca PD back in, uh, April I think. (During last semester.) Today I finally got back the results.

A couple of notes here: When I took the exam, we were in the cafeteria at one of the Ithaca schools. It was full. I'm talking a couple of hundred people, at least. Also, on civil service exams, it's not just your raw test score that counts, because you get points for being a vet and all sorts of other things. (NONE of which I qualify for.)

When I received my results today, my score was a 100! My position on the eligibility list is 3! This means that I outscored, with a raw score, pretty much everybody in the room. 2 people either tied me and had vet status, or got a bit lower than me and their bonus points still put them above me.

BUT, the BEST PART is that there are 5 OPENINGS! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

So, you know, I needed to share with some people who might appreciate that. If you'll excuse me, I need to go work on push ups. (Sit ups, no problem!) ;)

·
Registered
859 Posts
Congrats. Stay safe on at your new job.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Congratulations!

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Good luck working over there.....too many liberals. My buddy works over there and is looking to get out.

Congratulations to me for my 1,000th post!!

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Way to go J

You going to move or make the commute?

:cool:
Going to have to move. Not sure if they just require you to live in Tompkins county, or actually in the city limits, but either way I would have to move. My wife still wants to work in ME, though, so she may commute.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Congrats! I've been consistently coming in at 95 for my last few exams. I know how you feel.

If I can offer you a penny worth of free advice, with the assumption that you'll get the job...

Make sure you're doing PT regularly. Even if you're already in "good enough" shape to pass the PAT, "good enough" really isn't. One of your first rational thoughts when you come off auto-pilot when you're in the fight for your life will be "I need to work out more."

Don't be "that guy" in the academy. Excel at everything, volunteer for nothing, check any attitudes at the door, don't do anything stupid. ESPECIALLY don't get caught up in any drama. Remember that no question is a stupid question... unless it really IS a stupid question, it gets the whole class smoked, or you're two minutes from being dismissed.

You'll have a front-row seat to one of the greatest shows on earth. Don't screw it up. Stay away from the three Bs.

If you haven't already, check out the forums at "The O." If you don't know where that is, shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Congrats! I've been consistently coming in at 95 for my last few exams. I know how you feel.

If I can offer you a penny worth of free advice, with the assumption that you'll get the job...

Make sure you're doing PT regularly. Even if you're already in "good enough" shape to pass the PAT, "good enough" really isn't. One of your first rational thoughts when you come off auto-pilot when you're in the fight for your life will be "I need to work out more."

Don't be "that guy" in the academy. Excel at everything, volunteer for nothing, check any attitudes at the door, don't do anything stupid. ESPECIALLY don't get caught up in any drama. Remember that no question is a stupid question... unless it really IS a stupid question, it gets the whole class smoked, or you're two minutes from being dismissed.

You'll have a front-row seat to one of the greatest shows on earth. Don't screw it up. Stay away from the three Bs.

If you haven't already, check out the forums at "The O." If you don't know where that is, shoot me a PM.
Yeah, I'm back in college right now. I see "that guy" every day. I'm old enough to know better, and wise enough to follow through. ;) But yeah, I know what you mean. I'm the guy in my classes who pays attention, sits in the back quietly unless I need clarification, shows up every class, and gets good grades. (And laughs silently when all the kids who texted through the whole class flunk and blame everything but themselves...)

The fitness part is kicking my ass. Been trying to amp it up since I signed up for the test, but then I had PT for a while, and then surgery that - while minor - didn't allow me to do anything really physical for a couple of months. I can bench press just fine, but the push ups are not as easy as bench presses. Working my way up to a passing score, but I'm going to keep pushing beyond that. The running? No clue. Been jogging a mile or so a couple times a week for a couple of weeks, but it's with 20-30 pounds of pack, so...yeah. Going to go out this weekend with gym clothes only (well, maybe my .380...) and see if I can make time on the 1.5 mile. Sit ups are cake. (Unless you eat cake before hand, then they may be vomit instead... ;) )

(I had to Google the three Bs, lol.)

I do have a question, now that I am thinking about it: Is the Fitness test AT the academy, or prior to acceptance?

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I do have a question, now that I am thinking about it: Is the Fitness test AT the academy, or prior to acceptance?
A physical fitness exam will likely be the next phase of your testing. You probably won't go on to the medical and the background prior to the physical fitness exam.

Then once you get a conditional offer of employment, they'll get you scheduled for an academy class. PT will also be a part of the academy.

The way the hiring process out here works is: written exam, physical fitness exam, medical and background, then oral boards. If you pass all of those, THEN you'll get a job offer. THEN they'll schedule you for the next academy class.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts