New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
waldershrek said:
Any restrictions?
Oh yeah. Printed right on the side: Hunting - Target Shooting.

I am going to take Dave's class, but of course his next one was tonight, and by the time I got my permit in the mail, the office was closed. Also, the store I am buying my XD from closed early today due to a family wedding. DOH!

I did stop by McClain's and put down 20% on a Taurus 617 revolver though. And I stopped by Gander to fondle half their stock, even though I have no intention of buying a gun from them. (I did buy a bore snake though, just to be nice.)

Just as psyched about this Taurus as I am about the XD40. Fits real nice in my hand, feels light - to me, anyway - and 7 rounds of either .357 or .38 special is fun fun fun. ;D Besides, always good to have a second pistol. God forbid anything ever happened and you had to use the primary, at least you'd still have something to defend yourself with after they lock up your pistol for years. :p (That's my official Excuse™ for the wife. I really have just always wanted a 357. :eek:)

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Congrats man!

JStarX7 said:
Oh yeah. Printed right on the side: Hunting - Target Shooting.
The unrestricted one in Broome is supposedly a different color too. I haven't seen one yet but I seem to recall one of the ladies at the permit office saying it's a different color.

JStarX7 said:
I did stop by McClain's and put down 20% on a Taurus 617 revolver though. And I stopped by Gander to fondle half their stock, even though I have no intention of buying a gun from them. (I did buy a bore snake though, just to be nice.)
I bought my Kimber from Gander and felt pretty lousy about it. I like to keep my money local but it was at the height of the post-election insanity and it would have taken everybody else months to order it for me. Gander had the exact model I wanted sitting in the display case, marked down below Kimber's suggested retail price to boot.

McClain's is pretty cool isn't it? I bought my GP-100 from him, at a pretty good price I might add. Seems to be the best kept secret in Broome County. He was able to cover almost all of my ammo needs even when Gander/Wally-World and Dick's had empty shelves. Heck, Gander still has a shortage of handgun ammo in many popular calibers.

JStarX7 said:
I did stop by (That's my official Excuse™ for the wife. I really have just always wanted a 357. :eek:)
My official excuse when I bought my GP-100 was that it's really two guns for the price of one (it shoots .38s after all) so it actually represented a cost savings.... ;D

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
McClain's is pretty cool isn't it? I bought my GP-100 from him, at a pretty good price I might add. Seems to be the best kept secret in Broome County. He was able to cover almost all of my ammo needs even when Gander/Wally-World and Dick's had empty shelves. Heck, Gander still has a shortage of handgun ammo in many popular calibers.
McClain's depends on Harry's mood that day. Some days he's really friendly, and some days he seems like he just doesn't want you there. Also, I asked him to look into a gun for me once, and he never got back to me. And I had him sell a gun for me once while I was out of town for a couple weeks. It sold, but he never called to let me know. I checked in once, he wasn't there, but his employee said it hadn't sold. (in 5 weeks.) I checked back 3 months later, and Harry said it had sold a week after I left it there. Huh? Nobody was going to tell me about the few hundred bucks you need to pay me?

But, yeah. he has ammo up the wazzoo when nobody else seems to be able to get it, and he's WAY cheaper than gouger mt. (.40 S&W AE 50 pack - $20 @ McClain's, $29 @ Gander...) He also had 10/22 magazines for $10 (Gander was $20, and online was $12 or so @ Midway....)

I really had some nice experiences at Timber Creek, but they don't have half the ammo McClain's does, and they mostly sell hunting rifles and pistols.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went to a craft fair with my wife, mother, and mother's roommate today. Right before we left, I stopped by Timber Creek and purchased an XD40. His last one. ;D So happy!

Going to pick it up Monday afternoon and go straight to the range! 8)

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Congrats man.....if you ever get over near Norwich, hit up Mike Mayhood's place on Rt 12. I spent some time chatting with him Friday and he seems like a good guy....

Next class is August 14 and 15.....let's get you set up. Tell chuck to order you some more mags for the XD so you'll have them. And tell him I said hey.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RochPersDef said:
Congrats man.....if you ever get over near Norwich, hit up Mike Mayhood's place on Rt 12. I spent some time chatting with him Friday and he seems like a good guy....

Next class is August 14 and 15.....let's get you set up. Tell chuck to order you some more mags for the XD so you'll have them. And tell him I said hey.
Arg, my wife's boss is getting married on August 14th at 7pm. Lecture ends at 9pm, right? Maybe I can skip the wedding and go to the reception after class.
I'll discuss it with my wife. She knows I have been waiting for this for a long time. :)

I've already got an extra magazine. That brings me up to 3. Going to have to search for some ammo. I've got 150 rounds of .40 so far, but you can probably guess where that is going Monday afternoon. ;D Hmmm, should have my Taurus 617 by then too.

Found 500 rounds of Wolf for cheap, cheap, cheap on AIM surplus. GTG for training ammo. For now. ;D

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Dave, I can't find a place to sign up for the Aug classes. ??? Utah is listed, but not the CC Upgrade class.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
It will be updated soon. My web designer is swamped and she's trying to get caught up.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RochPersDef said:
It will be updated soon. My web designer is swamped and she's trying to get caught up.
Gotcha. I'll try to hold my horses. ;D

·
awesome for hire.
3,608 Posts
congrats man!

·
Registered
39 Posts
javerial said:
Congrats man!

The unrestricted one in Broome is supposedly a different color too. I haven't seen one yet but I seem to recall one of the ladies at the permit office saying it's a different color.
The unrestricted permit IS a different color. It's yellow(ish). The restricted one was green.

Typed across the front is the statement:
"Full Carry Permit Issued xx/xx/xx"

It took less than a month from the time the the letter was sent to the judge.

Rich

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
RichM said:
It took less than a month from the time the the letter was sent to the judge.
I'm still waiting on mine. Sent my letter nine weeks ago. Thought about calling to ask but I would assume that the judge has other important things on his plate and will get around to it eventually.

Out of curiosity, did you get a phone call from the permit office, a letter from the judge or did they inform you via some other method when it was approved? I haven't signed or thumbprinted the yellow permit card yet so I'm guessing I'll get a letter and then have to take it down to the permit office?

·
Registered
39 Posts
javerial said:
Out of curiosity, did you get a phone call from the permit office, a letter from the judge or did they inform you via some other method when it was approved?
If it's been that long, it wouldn't hurt to call the permit office to see if there's any glitch with yours.

I had actually gone into the permit office to be fingerprinted for my VA CCW renewal.

While I was there I mentioned that I had a letter out to the judge and asked how long it was typically taking. They had a stack that just came back and found mine in the stack. So I picked it up before I received any kind of notice.

I had been there 2 weeks prior to get fingerprinted for my FL CCW renewal and didn't even think about asking since the time had been so short.

They have quite a bit of paperwork to do when it comes back to them and will have your new permit typed out and ready to go. Including all of your current firearms on the back of it. You'll just have to turn in your old license and verify there are no typos in the serial numbers on the back and pay the $10 (cash) duplicate license fee.

They'll take your picture and thumb print and within 15 minutes you'll be all done.

I have to add that in all of my dealings with their office, everyone there has been very pleasant and helpful.

Rich

I should add that the issue date on my permit was one week prior to when I picked it up.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
RichM said:
If it's been that long, it wouldn't hurt to call the permit office to see if there's any glitch with yours.
I have to add that in all of my dealings with their office, everyone there has been very pleasant and helpful.
Maybe I'll call them on Monday just to see what's up. Kind of surprised that I haven't heard anything yet but it's been so busy at work these last few weeks that I haven't had much time to worry about it.

Ditto on the pleasant and helpful. I haven't had a bad experience dealing with that office. Compared to a lot of the other counties I'd say that we are pretty lucky here in Broome County.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Arg! Got my coupon for my second pistol today. Stupid NICS check was put on delay.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts