New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how long can i store/stockpile it before i have to use it and buy new?

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
The stuff I buy for my Mosin was made in the 70s, works fine.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Shot some .45 Long Colt that was 60+ years old out of my father's 105 year old Colt a few weeks ago. No problems.

·
Registered
349 Posts
All depends on how and where you store it. Air tight and dry with silicate packs and it will last a very longtime. If you store in a damp basement out in the open you will be lucky to get 6 months

·
Registered
530 Posts
+1 on storage.... Earliest stuff I used was in 1989 we shot up some 1918 dated 30/06 that was found in my friends basement. All went off fine... All depends on storage conditions...

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Everything expires on 21 Dec 2012

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
My brother found a bunch of old 9mm ammo in a basement of a house he bought, at least 400 rounds. I shot them all off, had a few duds and every one that fired had a wicked hang-fire, which was kind of fun. No clue on the age of it, they were stored in coffee cans.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
I fired stuff from WWII in the 90s without any problems.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
U talking reloads or factory? Factory loads have the cases sealed both ends...primer and mouth..if u reload and seal the primer and the mouth, then they should store for along time...if not, then it would depend more on evironment that they are stored in...high and dry will last longer...longer still in a good sealed container..

·
Registered
8 Posts
The old addage still goes...keep your powder dry. DRY. The dryboxes you get if you buy in bulk work wonders. Grandma keeps trying to steal them from me tho...because, of course, they work. Just be wary of older ammo, as it can cause pitting if the weapon goes uncleaned.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
My brother found a bunch of old 9mm ammo in a basement of a house he bought, at least 400 rounds. I shot them all off, had a few duds and every one that fired had a wicked hang-fire, which was kind of fun. No clue on the age of it, they were stored in coffee cans.
OMG....don't tell me coffee and gunpowder don't mix...i'm not giving up either

·
Registered
79 Posts
cool and dry and last forever. Just shot 40+ year old 410 and 20 guage shotgun ammo today. 410 was actually stuff my mom used before I was born. Had my son shoot it as well so it will span 3 generations.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts