New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my neighbor behind me has a standard Poodle that when she let it out to go pee, the thing runs to the middle of the yard and just starts barking for no reason.

She lets it out at 3am, 7am 11pm, I called 911 and they said to just keep calling them? I hate to bother an emergency number for a damn stupid barking dog. But the nice lady I talked to at the 911 center asked me very nicely "Please do not do anything yourself, just call us, we'll handle it." So I promised not to do anything stupid, buuuuut, my fuse is getting a little short

Is there any legal avenue for me to take. Can I get a restraining order or something.

I know this sounds like whining, I have worked for three straight weeks, including Sundays. Today was the first Sunday I have off. So a dog barking 75 feet away is rather annoying, not to mention inconsiderate.

any advice? Including "suck it up and live with it"

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
City of Rochester | Non-Emergency Calls to 911

The Rochester/Monroe County 911 center is different from other agencies because not only do we answer emergency calls, but we also answer certain non-emergency police, fire and EMS related calls. Some non-emergency calls we take are listed below:

• Citizen needs to contact a police officer regarding an ongoing investigation
  • Citizen has concerns regarding street plowing
  • Parking problems
  • Barking or annoying dogs
  • Police reports (i.e.: violation of order of protection, telephone harassment among others):
    • In the city of Rochester, a call is considered a report if the event occurred 5 minutes or more prior to the 911 call and if any suspects have left the scene.
    • In all other towns of Monroe County a call is a report if the event occurred 15 minutes or more before the call.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I agree a call to the neighbors might make them aware that the dog is in fact making an unacceptable amount of noise at such an hour - who knows maybe they'll work with ya' and take care of it like a good neighbor would

Or a motion sensor that initiates an amplified MP3 player with really loud jungle sounds - or circus music- or applause

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I agree a call to the neighbors might make them aware that the dog is in fact making an unacceptable amount of noise at such an hour - who knows maybe they'll work with ya' and take care of it like a good neighbor would

Or a motion sensor that initiates an amplified MP3 player with really loud jungle sounds - or circus music- or applause
Or loud barking dog sounds exactly 30 minutes after her dog starts barking. See how she likes it once she's back asleep :)

·
Registered
522 Posts
wow. i just had this talk with my neighbor today... ive been waiting all summer for a chance to mention it. damn dogs bark non stop everytime im in my yard. and when we have the little ones running round. to the point where we stand in front of the garage for cookouts so they dont see us.

guess what she said... "sorry dogs bark" if they dont do something now that ive said something ill be making a phone call. funny how every else's dogs dont bark incessantly at people standing in their own yard.

makes it irritating to do yard work and gardening.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
You could get some bright lights pointed at there house and set them on a timer for 15 minutes after they usually let the dog in and have them stay on for an hour or so. Hopefully you can direct this light into their bedroom lol.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Talk to your neighbor. Open up the lines of communication. My dogs bark on my 4 acres and I have no idea if my neighbors can hear them or are annoyed with them...If someone came to my door, I'd listen to them and see if we could work something out. I might try the "no bark collar" something like:
http://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-PBC-1...qid=1343004063&sr=8-1&keywords=no+bark+collar
If my neighbor showed up with a pair of them, I would try to be understanding of their situation and thankful that they took the inniative out of their pockets to present a potential solution...Good luck!
Of course, the only neighbor (cranky old man) who did say something about my dogs barking at the deer in his yard was rebutted by me with a comment something like "Well, dogs bark at deer. Thats what they do. It might help our situation if you werent out in your yard everday illigally feeding the deer corn and peanuts by hand!"

·
Registered
522 Posts
4 acres? i wouldnt care.... penned in a 30x30 backyard... 10 feet away barking non-stop at me and my child... thats a problem...

to me its simple common courtesy. its the same as a neighbor who always is blasting music. when my dog gets barky i put her inside. its that simple.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have had a conversation with the neighbor. It didn't help. Last time I yelled at her to shut the dog up, she laughed at me. Thats when I called 911.

I have had dogs in the past, I had two of the best bird dogs ever. They past away back in 2005. I miss them very much. I also have very close personal friends with a large kennel in Marion. I KNOW dogs. bird dogs almost never bark. When they did, I knew there was a problem.
The dog is NOT the problem. The owner is the problem, she doesn't seem to care.

So i guess I'll just keep calling 911 and let animal control handle it, for now.

I was thinking of getting a dog whistle and blowing it for about 20 minutes at 2am. That should keep the wench awake for awhile

·
Registered
522 Posts
just a note: the dog isnt the problem. poor training and a lazy owner are.... worse still its a pit ( another bad owner giving the dog a bad name)... which need even more training. i have one and shes an angel. if she barks i yell and she stops.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
just a note: the dog isnt the problem. poor training and a lazy owner are.... worse still its a pit ( another bad owner giving the dog a bad name)... which need even more training. i have one and shes an angel. if she barks i yell and she stops.
what is a pit poodle?

nevermind I read too fast

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
have you tried spraying the dog with a garden hose?
no, there is a giant hedge row between our yards.

She (the owner) actually yells at the dog in German, but only the word *NEIN* and when she calls the dog she uses Spanish *Andelay* <sp>

The dogs name is *Magic* (black standard poodle)

I know the dogs name because she keeps yelling "MAGIC, NEIN~~~~MAGIC, NEIN~~~~MAGIC"

this goes on for 10 to 15 minutes or until she puts the dog in the house.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
no, there is a giant hedge row between our yards.

She (the owner) actually yells at the dog in German, but only the word *NEIN* and when she calls the dog she uses Spanish *Andelay* <sp>

The dogs name is *Magic* (black standard poodle)

I know the dogs name because she keeps yelling "MAGIC, NEIN~~~~MAGIC, NEIN~~~~MAGIC"

this goes on for 10 to 15 minutes or until she puts the dog in the house.
Shes just grumpy because theres No Magic

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
have you tried spraying the dog with a garden hose?
hmmm, I wouldn't recommend that. One of the few times I had to draw my gun was when I caught a regular bicycler in the act of spraying my dogs with what he claimed was his water bottle. I didnt know if it was water or something more serious. He had dropped his bike on the other side of the road and crossed the road onto my property and was standing on the fence line and spraying them over the fence. I approached him with my cell phone already dialing 911 and my pistol drawn. His only argument was "These dogs always bark at me when I ride by and I dont like it!" My yellow lab and Vizsla were behind a 3 rail split rail fence that is enclosed with chicken wire all the way around the fence. The bike rider was taken by the police and ordered not to get off his bike again if he rode past my house.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts